Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Storing luggage items at Polaris lounge? (LAX)

Storing luggage items at Polaris lounge? (LAX)

Old Oct 2, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The issue isn't the hamburger - it's the almost certainty that your big will disappear out the door, or at least get a thorough "inspection" for goodies when someone sees you put it somewhere and then walk out of the lounge. While a double-double may arguably be the best fast food hamburger in North America (best fast food burger global award goes to the black pepper crusted quarter pounder at McDonalds in Asia), it's not worth losing the bag or some of the contents inside.
Originally Posted by chavala
I so dont get the fascination with a fast food burger.
Seems it was more than a burger....

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Fair point. I always take a piece of the printer paper and write down my name, phone number and record locator in a black marker and say i went to the City, TWA, etc etc. no one has ever found the bag or called or touched my stuff.
If one day your bags are removed to lost and found or worse, say airport police, your calculus may change. I guess I am too old, I remember as a kid watching fascinated as unattended luggage at CDG got put into special canisters and blown up by the bomb squad. Right in the terminal after they cleared a security perimeter. I saw it several times and once a guy came running back but too late, he had gone in search of a coffee and left his bag on a bench.

Anywho glad it worked out for you. And relieved to hear there was more than just a hamburger as the reward at the end! In and Out is good but it ain't that good.
Mikity likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
Because youve never had that specific burger from that chain? Dont knock other peoples preferences. We are ALL entitled to our opinions. The OPs request isnt for judgement but help with luggage storage and transportation to the restaurant. Keep it on topic and non divisive please.
Yes of course Ive had it. I just dont get why people go out of their way for it.
I didnt mean to be divisive or want to insult anyones burger preference ; )
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ainternational
Because youve never had that specific burger from that chain? Dont knock other peoples preferences. We are ALL entitled to our opinions. The OPs request isnt for judgement but help with luggage storage and transportation to the restaurant. Keep it on topic and non divisive please.
You're reading a lot into what seems like an innocent comment.

Does I N O have a restaurant at any airport?
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SS255
Does that mean this forum is a safe space for the odd poster who claims to prefer their croissants lightly smashed, and their international business class meal served cafeteria style?

But to bring this thread back on topic, I do sorely miss the luggage storage areas that the CO Presidents Club had. I dont understand why Polaris lounges and even UCs cant set aside an area for transit passengers to safely Stowe their hand luggage for a few hours.
I believe it's likely due to theft risk - the airline doesn't want to be liable for disappearing bags, or need to deal with the complaints. I remember the bins in the PC, we had a few at the old FLL lounge, but I rarely saw anyone put something in them because the bag and contents were out of sight.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 1:47 am

The reason you cant leave luggage easily in an airport now is security related, not theft. Its the same reason that an airplane cant take off with the bags of someone that missed the connection or was denied boarding: there could be a bomb in the bag.

LAX was partially evacuated last month because of an unattended bag:

and in June:

If it was your bag and it was obvious youd deliberately left the bag there, Im not sure Id rate highly your chances of ever flying with that airline again.

Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daveoflynn
The reason you cant leave luggage easily in an airport now is security related, not theft. Its the same reason that an airplane cant take off with the bags of someone that missed the connection or was denied boarding: there could be a bomb in the bag.
Just for clarity, PPBM only applies to international flights. UA discourages voluntary separation but it's not a hard line -- similarly someone who misses a connection isn't (typically) considered a voluntary separation and the bag may still fly. UA has gotten so good at this that there have been several times in the past year where on landing I've gotten a "Your bag arrived on an earlier flight! Please see the baggage service office..." text (a few misconnects but most of those the bag got loaded on an earlier flight than I booked, either because that earlier flight was not a legal connection for booking or because I booked something else, e.g. to avoid a CRJ200 on what would have been the first legal connection)

From what I've seen airport authorities also are much less worried about baggage with clear owner identification (e.g. name and contact number) -- a bag with no tag definitely arises more suspicion faster, while a bag with a tag might get a airport police officer calling your phone to tell you you're an idiot and not much more.

I would not read any of this as me encouraging leaving baggage unattended, however.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by daveoflynn
TLAX was partially evacuated last month because of an unattended bag:
Whilst I agree and certainly wouldn't be leaving a bag unattended, the video of that incident states that the item was in the "ticketing area" of the airport, which is a very different situation to one air-side which has already passed through security.
SPN Lifer and Mikity like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.