Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

List of UA airports and gates that use door 2L vs 1L

Old Sep 30, 2023, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

When I travel to airports where I don't have expedited immigration processing, or any airport with a tight connection, it would really be useful to know what door the jetway will connect to (assuming I'm sitting ahead of 2L). I realize gates can change last minute for airports that use both, but if I knew a particular airport nearly always used door 1L, I would shoot for seat 1A or 1L, for example. I know some of the EWR gates well enough, but it doesn't matter there since I have Global Entry.

Is there any source or database that indicates which gates use which doors at a particular airport for widebodies and 75x flights?
OldNewYorker likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
At SFO, it can be either depending on gates used.

I know some of the EWR gates well enough, but it doesn't matter there since I have Global Entry.
So that's true of any USA gateway. So are you asking about non-USA airports?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have experienced a lot more 2L than 1L, by far.

Sometimes there are jet bridges for both positions.

If you are sitting up front, honestly it really does not make a huge difference one way or the other. If immigration is a long walk, I can catch up to everyone even in economy (where I am most of the time).
nexus7556 and moondog like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I know some of the EWR gates well enough, but it doesn't matter there since I have Global Entry.
Due to IRROPS I was swapped to a Lufthansa JFK flight this week. Terminal 1 just had one working Global Entry machine. Im excited for the new app and cant wait for broader rollout.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On most arrivals, the number of people deplaning in front of me is dwarfed by the mass from other arriving flights.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM
On most arrivals, the number of people deplaning in front of me is dwarfed by the mass from other arriving flights.
Or the mass of people squashed into the bus, if arriving at a remote stand in FRA.

Now MUC, on the other hand it would be helpful to know if they tend to deplane from 1L or 2L!
Old Sep 30, 2023, 4:21 pm

When I travel to airports where I don't have expedited immigration processing, or any airport with a tight connection, it would really be useful to know what door the jetway will connect to (assuming I'm sitting ahead of 2L). I realize gates can change last minute for airports that use both, but if I knew a particular airport nearly always used door 1L, I would shoot for seat 1A or 1L, for example. I know some of the EWR gates well enough, but it doesn't matter there since I have Global Entry.

Is there any source or database that indicates which gates use which doors at a particular airport for widebodies and 75x flights?
2L makes for a more upscale experience, especially for boarding but also disembarking. As mentioned by others, SFO and ORD mix it up. Ive experienced EWR to favor 1L.

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Sep 30, 2023 at 4:27 pm
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by OldNewYorker
Due to IRROPS I was swapped to a Lufthansa JFK flight this week. Terminal 1 just had one working Global Entry machine. Im excited for the new app and cant wait for broader rollout.
Global Entry was a disaster at JFK this past week. Only a few machines, no dedicated CBP officer.....at least I got in before the flooding started.
OldNewYorker likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So that's true of any USA gateway. So are you asking about non-USA airports?
Primary interest in non-US airports where getting off the plane quickly can mean a big time savings at Immigration, but it would nice to see a database of US airports as well.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IME it's super unpredictable, even when the gate supports dual jetbridges to 1L and 2L. You can't know for sure until you see the jetbridge moving towards the door. I've even had the experience sitting in the forward cabin where they connected 1L and 2L but said 1L was off limits due to some airport issue (can't remember which airline this was - possibly SQ at SFO).
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Primary interest in non-US airports where getting off the plane quickly can mean a big time savings at Immigration, but it would nice to see a database of US airports as well.
So, you mean airports with minimal international arrivals spread out over the course of the day (so only other passengers on your flight are relevant)? Most airports I can think of that meet this criteria (e.g BON) aren't served by United planes that have multiple sets of doors in between the nose and the wings.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 1, 2023 at 3:56 am
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
2L makes for a more upscale experience, especially for boarding but also disembarking. As mentioned by others, SFO and ORD mix it up. Ive experienced EWR to favor 1L.
Actually, when seated in the front cabin and deplaning via 2L, it seems to take forever and end up behind a lot of folks from Coach.
Would be great for United to have priority disembarking, allowing passengers in Polaris to exit first.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Actually, when seated in the front cabin and deplaning via 2L, it seems to take forever and end up behind a lot of folks from Coach.
Would be great for United to have priority disembarking, allowing passengers in Polaris to exit first.
I think it varies from crew to crew. I've seen arrivals using 2L where all the J pax get off first, as the cabin crew blocks Y pax, and others where there is a free-for-all.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jpezaris
I think it varies from crew to crew. I've seen arrivals using 2L where all the J pax get off first, as the cabin crew blocks Y pax, and others where there is a free-for-all.
Good to know. I can't recall at time, at least in recent history, where I had a United crew do this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:59 am

If this is your concern, I would pick a seat nearest the 2L door. The times that the 1L door is used instead, you wouldnt have far to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.