New Bedding

Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Sometimes United does give these items away at their events and for promotions, etc. I'm going to the UA Polaris event in NYC on Oct 3 and from what UA has told me, they are giving them out then so I will test them out at home (without stealing them).
Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It’s really interesting reading FT through the lens of someone who is no longer chasing status or on flights as much.

If I look back to my own contributions from ten years ago, I probably waxed poetic about things like gel pillows, bedding color, pouches, etc.

But in the whole scheme of life, these things now feel much less important!
dw, djsflynn and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elbombo
Sometimes United does give these items away at their events and for promotions, etc. I'm going to the UA Polaris event in NYC on Oct 3 and from what UA has told me, they are giving them out then so I will test them out at home (without stealing them).
We still have, and use, a couple of the original Polaris Saks 5th Avenue light blankets which were provided to us in swag bags at a Polaris roll-out event at Dulles many years ago. Alot of fun as they had a cabin interior mock-up to try the seats and an operating Polaris Lounge bar for the attendees. Then we had to wait years to actually experience it on an aircraft!
IndyHoosier and benewr like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
The blanket is a downgrade in my opinion. the old one "almost" felt like a light down blanket. Its still nice, I just like the older one better.
Birdsofafeather likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
As posted on Uniteds facebook page..this limited edition and redesigned day blanket designed by Claude Kameni and new gel pillow are sure to be collectors items.
They are made of recycled plastic bottles. Any one seen and/or tried these new products on their Polaris flights yet?

So the PR showed 2 different colors for the duvet. Is the gray one for specific flights such as transcon? Or will that be the main one going forward, as the blue one does show "limited edition".
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by itripreport
So the PR showed 2 different colors for the duvet. Is the gray one for specific flights such as transcon? Or will that be the main one going forward, as the blue one does show "limited edition".
Hmm, since we are dissecting United's words with a magnifying glass in another thread, I wonder if we could do the same here also, and extrapolate from the use of "limited edition" and "sure to be collectors items" and them also showing a more toned down colored blanket, that they mean we can keep the blue/purple blanket (take it home), maybe as an introductory item like the bear when Polaris first rolled out?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Flew LAX-EWR red eye last night in F and had the new bedding in the zipper bag, new pillow case, but no rolled blanket. Outbound flight (ewr-lax) a earlier in the week had old stuff.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Premium transcon J bedding is provisioned basically the same as before, duvet and pillow in new zipper bag, gel pillow on the seat. Of note is the gel pillow appears to be exactly the same as before, just in a new white pillowcase with Polaris star branding (no wordmark). New duvet and pillow are nice, seem to be an incremental improvement over the old bedding... which is fine, because the old bedding was good.

I'm in Polaris later this week and looking forward to checking out the light blanket and seeing whether the mattress pad has changed.

I am wondering if the gray blanket is for PE? Transcon J does not get the blue blanket.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Of note is the gel pillow appears to be exactly the same as before, just in a new white pillowcase with Polaris star branding (no wordmark).
You sure about that?
The 'new one' seems softer to me. I didn't think it was the same at all. Might be wrong though.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
You sure about that?
The 'new one' seems softer to me. I didn't think it was the same at all. Might be wrong though.
I have it in my hand right now... looks and feels exactly the same, even down to the blue grid pattern on one side (evidently the "cooling" element). I'd have to compare them side by side to be absolutely certain but if there is a difference, it's not distinguishable to me or my lower back!
Old Sep 23, 2023, 3:19 pm

Flew EWR-SFO-HKG in J, corroborating everything thats been said. Mattress pad and gel pillow are the same. I liked the old duvet a bit more but not a huge difference. The cloth bag is a big win- a lot less plastic to deal with, and a good place to store an unused pillow while sleeping.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by narvik
Hmm, since we are dissecting United's words with a magnifying glass in another thread, I wonder if we could do the same here also, and extrapolate from the use of "limited edition" and "sure to be collectors items" and them also showing a more toned down colored blanket, that they mean we can keep the blue/purple blanket (take it home), maybe as an introductory item like the bear when Polaris first rolled out?
That's exactly what struck me with the reading of that. I have no idea what I'd use my collector's item for when I'm not actually on a flight and, usually, when you have a collector's item, it needs to be in pristine condition which means I shouldn't take it out of its wrapper and use it.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
As posted on Uniteds facebook page..this limited edition and redesigned day blanket designed by Claude Kameni and new gel pillow are sure to be collectors items.
They are made of recycled plastic bottles. Any one seen and/or tried these new products on their Polaris flights yet?

Had this exact setup on LHR-LAX UA935 on the 21st of September. I did not try the limited ed blanket - but it did have the gel + normal pillow.

No i did not take any of the blankets away with me.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:55 am

I got the new bedding on SFO-SIN last week. Hoping the (regular) pillow covers are washed between uses? In any case, I wrapped the blanket over the pillow (as I was doing earlier as well) before using it
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:00 am

Slept well with the new bedding.

Is the duvet cover thicker? Anyways, no complaints here.
jjschonhoff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.