Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change in price / cabin using Google Flights link to UA.com

Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at ICT-BKK on google flights business class, and it showed up an interesting routing, ICT-ORD-ZUR-BKK on UA/LX code share and an OK fare $6k. I click on the link and it takes me to the United page with the same flight details and fare. But after filling all the details, when I get to check out, the fare dropped to 3.5k. I'm worried that this is an economy ticket, but I can't see any details of the class of travel in the flight info at all. Should I just book and take advantage or am I missing something here.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by watboy
I'm looking at ICT-BKK on google flights business class, and it showed up an interesting routing, ICT-ORD-ZUR-BKK on UA/LX code share and an OK fare $6k. I click on the link and it takes me to the United page with the same flight details and fare. But after filling all the details, when I get to check out, the fare dropped to 3.5k. I'm worried that this is an economy ticket, but I can't see any details of the class of travel in the flight info at all. Should I just book and take advantage or am I missing something here.
You have 24 hours to cancel any ticket booked on United.com for a full refund. Book it, then check to make sure you bought what you intended.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold

AFAIK, there is the 24 hr free cancellation. If you can "float" the $3500 while it takes the time to cancel.... I'd roll the dice.

[MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION]: GMTA!
jsloan, moondog and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Sep 12, 2023 at 9:55 am
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you don't want to commit to the large sum, and want to be sure, start from United and see the fare with all of the details.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a link to view the fare rules at the bottom of the page. You can see from there whether it's a business class fare.

As others noted, you can also then book and cancel within 24 hours without penalty. If you cancel same day as you book, the charge will never post. If you cancel next day but still within 24 hours, it will post and then you will get a refund.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I believe you can see the cabin and fare bucket info in a review window after google flights punts you over to UA.com. Enter your info etc on the UA page as if you were actually booking it and go thru the steps until you can review the details. Should be obvious. No need to actually book and pay just to find out what you're getting.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
I believe you can see the cabin and fare bucket info in a review window after google flights punts you over to UA.com. Enter your info etc, on the UA page as if you were actually booking it and go thru the steps until you can review the details. Should be obvious.
The website used to show them on the landing page with a summary of the itinerary, but they changed the display and currently it does not give the fare class by segment. The only way to see the fare class before purchase is by viewing the fare rules, and if there are multiple (e.g., broken fare), you have to decipher which is which.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
The website used to show them on the landing page with a summary of the itinerary, but they changed the display and currently it does not give the fare class by segment. The only way to see the fare class before purchase is by viewing the fare rules, and if there are multiple (e.g., broken fare), you have to decipher which is which.
I'm not seeing the fare rules if I click the link over from Google flights. I also cannot recreate this routing to check pricing from scratch starting from united's own webpage.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not seeing the fare rules if I click the link over from Google flights. I also cannot recreate this routing to check pricing from scratch starting from united's own webpage.
Go to the bottom of the page United loads after you follow Google's link.

There are several sections and a link to the fare rules:
Traveler contact information*

Calculate checked baggage charges

Terms & conditions

Learn More:

View fare rules and restrictions (opens in a new tab)

Additional baggage charges may apply
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:58 am

I had a very similar problem recently where I got an unreal deal on Google Flights but .bomb wouldn't let me buy it (although I could replicate it). I ended up having to manually test basically every possible routing combo (e.g. A-C and then C-D in multi-city, vs. A-B and B-D, etc.) until i got it to go through. It was a big enough savings that it was worth it, but it took a long time. You may want to try something similar.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:00 am

On the payment page, click to expand the terms and conditions, and then there is a link to the fare rules there. The only problem you run into this method is if it is getting changed to a mixed cabin, since the fare rule is going to show the higher cabin through fare, unless it is also fare-breaking to create the mixed cabin.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

ok, I bought and then canceled. It was a mix cabin of domestic first, international premium economy ... I would pay more for the business though!
WheelsUpGal and wongbr like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did it allow you to select business class seats on the UA portion? That’d be a fairly good (but not perfect) indicator.

FWIW, I don’t find that routing unusual (although Zurich is ZRH, not ZUR); UA, LX, and LH have drawn a line more or less around Austin / Dallas / OKC; anything east of that, they want to route Thailand via TATL, and anything west, they want to route TPAC. And the price seems good but not unbelievably, “this is obviously an economy fare in disguise” good.

ok, I bought and then canceled. It was a mix cabin of domestic first, international premium economy ... I would pay more for the business though!
​​​​​​​Ah, that’s unfortunate.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
On the payment page, click to expand the terms and conditions, and then there is a link to the fare rules there. The only problem you run into this method is if it is getting changed to a mixed cabin, since the fare rule is going to show the higher cabin through fare, unless it is also fare-breaking to create the mixed cabin.
img
When mixed cabin and not a fare break, it will show the fare basis for the higher cabin, but it will show the mix of fare classes used in the fare class column:
It just doesn't indicate which segments are getting delegated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
Did it allow you to select business class seats on the UA portion? Thatd be a fairly good (but not perfect) indicator.

FWIW, I dont find that routing unusual (although Zurich is ZRH, not ZUR); UA, LX, and LH have drawn a line more or less around Austin / Dallas / OKC; anything east of that, they want to route Thailand via TATL, and anything west, they want to route TPAC. And the price seems good but not unbelievably, this is obviously an economy fare in disguise good.

Ah, thats unfortunate.
That's interesting. In my experience when originating in Ohio, United still seems to want to route TPAC. Anything TATL comes back much higher. I thought due to JV with ANA, they really wanted to feed via HND / NRT.

Bummer it didn't price out. I would have looked to replicate as well. ​​​​​​​
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.