United's Bizarre CLE-LAX Schedule Change

Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
United's Bizarre CLE-LAX Schedule Change

United has long flown 1-2 daily nonstops between CLE-LAX, always with a morning flight and sometimes with an evening flight as well.
For LAX-CLE there is typically a redeye, and sometimes a morning flight as well.

For example, here are tomorrow's flights:

Effective 10/29 and running through EOS, the CLE-LAX flight switches to this uselessness, which makes CLE originating pax spend a worthless night in LA on both the outbound and return flight.

Never seen a schedule like this. What gives?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
United has long flown 1-2 daily nonstops between CLE-LAX, always with a morning flight and sometimes with an evening flight as well.
For LAX-CLE there is typically a redeye, and sometimes a morning flight as well.

For example, here are tomorrow's flights:

Effective 10/29 and running through EOS, the CLE-LAX flight switches to this uselessness, which makes CLE originating pax spend a worthless night in LA on both the outbound and return flight.

Never seen a schedule like this. What gives?
I sort of thought this was structured for westbound connecting pax though that seems less likely since it misses most of the Japan flights and, I think, all of the Hawaii traffic, though it may catch the last west coast set of express flights and oceana options.

More likely they found most of their pax are LA originating and so the flight gets back after a day in cle where you lose the day going eastbound anyway. Rough redeye in any event.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I sort of thought this was structured for westbound connecting pax though that seems less likely since it misses most of the Japan flights and, I think, all of the Hawaii traffic, though it may catch the last west coast set of express flights and oceana options.

More likely they found most of their pax are LA originating and so the flight gets back after a day in cle where you lose the day going eastbound anyway. Rough redeye in any event.
Before retiring, I took the CLE-LAX / LAX-CLE flights many times. My recollection was the majority of passengers originated in Cleveland but I suppose that could have been prejudiced by days of the week.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
My recollection was the majority of passengers originated in Cleveland but I suppose that could have been prejudiced by days of the week.
Without a doubt, by a large margin.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:47 am
Original Poster

"Thank you for being a Global Services member!

I'm sorry to hear about the impact our schedule change will have on your travel plans and understand situations like this can be disappointing.
Due to operational changes, we're unable to guarantee flight times or aircraft type.

We apologize for any inconvenience this change will cause and appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. I've shared it with the appropriate teams so we can continue to improve future travel experiences.

Thank you for choosing United, and hope to see you soon.

Regards,

Marshall
Global Services Customer Care"
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Wow - GS get an extra touch (Thank you for be a Global Service member!) on a canned response. UA really cares!

I guess less-than-optimal connecting flights is an option.
wrp96, oopl and bocastephen like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 22, 2023 at 10:46 am
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think UA is particularly concerned with CLE-originating traffic.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:06 am

I don't remember the exact details, but a similar thing happened to me when I was frequently travelling ORD-FAT. Had a pretty good schedule for what I needed, then the FAT-ORD redeye went away for a morning flight (I think) that didn't really work for me, so I started doing ORD-LAX-FAT. The nice advantage was that with 2 LAX-ORD redeyes, upgrades were usually plentiful for me, so I wasn't that broken up about it. Just looked available schedules for that route now, and there's no non-stops at all available at all. So hopefully for OP they don't need to start doing LAX-ORD-CLE a year from now.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: UA
Benefit LAX orig customers connecting in CLE instead of EWR? Just a guess.
CJ99 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Hows it look to SFO? It seems to me United is trying to force more of the pacific business there.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:27 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
United did this with CMH-SFO earlier in the year. Went from being a useful flight for connections to one that guarantees an overnight at SFO.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Fly2Connect
United did this with CMH-SFO earlier in the year. Went from being a useful flight for connections to one that guarantees an overnight at SFO.
I suspect some of these head-scratching changes have more to do with optimal crew scheduling than anything else.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I guess to each their own though. I abhor flights that depart before 10am or so (depending on how far I am from the airport of course). Also loathe redeyes that don't have both at least 8 hours of flying time and a flat bed. That new CLE-LAX is about perfect -- leave after lunch, arrive in time for dinner, and work on the plane in between. I know, I'm a minority with weird priorities, but just noting, as someone who has never and likely will never fly that route, this is a welcome change (though I would have to find another airline to return to CLE, both before and after the change)
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:28 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

My guess is that CLE-LAX has a greater percentage of leisure customers relative to other routes and UA is freeing up these times for a more business-heavy route. Or it could be that there is heavy demand / low competition for this route and UA knows it can still fill its planes regardless of when they fly.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'd rather that flight than a redeye.. I won't do it anymore .

UA continues to punish cleveland...
lincolnjkc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.