Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Woman flies DEN-ORD RT to retrieve bag UA can't find

Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

This is a pretty a amazing story of incompetence on UA's part....Can someone really be not allowed to talk to someone else to resolve a problem? Mistakes happen (the luggage tag), but a simple phone call would have solved this....And UA perhaps should try to turn this into something positive from a PR point of view by making her a 1K for life, or giving her a couple of tickets in J to fly anywhere she wants.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...ght/index.html
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hughw
This is a pretty a amazing story of incompetence on UA's part....Can someone really be not allowed to talk to someone else to resolve a problem? Mistakes happen (the luggage tag), but a simple phone call would have solved this....And UA perhaps should try to turn this into something positive from a PR point of view by making her a 1K for life, or giving her a couple of tickets in J to fly anywhere she wants.
besides all of the mistakes with claim forms, bag tags, etc., what this also shows is how tone deaf UA is when it comes to their public affairs posture. it apparently now takes a phone call from the news media to prompt united to do the right thing for a customer who made no mistakes whatsoever.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
1k for life would be an overkill. A significant number of RDMs or travel credit should def be given though.

United's baggage system seems a mess. I have some Air Tags now, for the rare occasion when I check a bag. They work great.
SPN Lifer, jd2000, drewguy and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by goodeats21
1k for life would be an overkill. A significant number of RDMs or travel credit should def be given though.

United's baggage system seems a mess. I have some Air Tags now, for the rare occasion when I check a bag. They work great.
Yeah, absolutely overkill in terms of a normal gesture by UA, but in terms of turning lemons into lemonade now this is a national story, perhaps not.
fwfdan, kthomas and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, absolutely overkill in terms of a normal gesture by UA, but in terms of turning lemons into lemonade now this is a national story, perhaps not.
They already gave the woman a refund of the miles used and a travel credit. Thats all shell get.

This is not a story thats going to have legs for the general public. Itll be forgotten within two days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Not defending United here but we can all help ourselves out significantly by attaching a tag to our bag with an accurate phone number. Its amazing to me how many carryons/strollers have zero identification.

If its on there, the airline will call.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by clubord
Not defending United here but we can all help ourselves out significantly by attaching a tag to our bag with an accurate phone number. Its amazing to me how many carryons/strollers have zero identification.

If its on there, the airline will call.
I've never received a phone call. even with a tag, and business cards in each pocket.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:38 am

A great reminder to watch the check-in agents like a hawk as they are tagging you bags. I usually do for the rare times I check a bag (only for family travel) but have become a little less attentive recently.
SPN Lifer, prestonh, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I've never received a phone call. even with a tag, and business cards in each pocket.
Yeah, I've not had good results since they outsourced their luggage tracking. I am not surprised by this story one bit. I also don't believe UA executives have any idea how bad they are at retrieving lost luggage. Even when they find your luggage they can be inexplicably slow at getting the luggage on its way.
SPN Lifer and denver19 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
And UA perhaps should try to turn this into something positive from a PR point of view by making her a 1K for life, or giving her a couple of tickets in J to fly anywhere she wants.
1K for life? How would that be fair for people who actually flew 3 million miles on United. Bag issues are really common.

If United wants to give some additional goodwill, that would be up to them, but doubt anything close to 1K lifetime status or J tickets.

I would have flown nonstop from BWI to DEN on WN to avoid any added risks of bag issues.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
On two occasions, as a passenger waiting for my own lost bags, have called other passengers to alert them of their bags whereabouts. Seemed appropriate to plant the karma seed hoping it would be done for my lost bags (which like OP, have phone numbers that are never called).
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I should have been more clear with my post, thank you for calling me out on it. I personally have never lost my bag on United but have on other carriers and never received a call as well.

My point was that a Name/Phone Number offers additional information baggage services can use to research the owner of the list bag to find the PNR to help track down the owner.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would have flown nonstop from BWI to DEN on WN to avoid any added risks of bag issues.
And that would have helped how? The persons bag wasnt tagged to DEN. It was mistagged entirely.

There may be a slightly lower incidence of bag issues on nonstop flights, just because they need to be handled one fewer times when things go right. But the idea that it somehow makes them impossible is silly, as is the idea that anyone in their right mind should subject themselves to a 4-hour WN flight just to avoid the < 1% chance of a lost bag.
SPN Lifer, chavala and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FYI ... most recent DOT/BTS report of "mishandled" bags

Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
And that would have helped how? The persons bag wasnt tagged to DEN. It was mistagged entirely.

There may be a slightly lower incidence of bag issues on nonstop flights, just because they need to be handled one fewer times when things go right. But the idea that it somehow makes them impossible is silly, as is the idea that anyone in their right mind should subject themselves to a 4-hour WN flight just to avoid the < 1% chance of a lost bag.
All things being equal, the bag would then be mistagged to DEN on the nonstop flight, saving mom and daughter additional flights. The issue can be sorted out locally.

Let's not pretend flying BWI to ORD to DEN is some glamorous experience. WN carries millions of passengers each year, generally without much hiccups. You may have written off WN completely, but that does not mean other people have lost their mind.
ksingh0311 and denver19 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.