Another bag left on the tarmac story

Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
Another bag left on the tarmac story

Didn’t see that anyone had posted this yet, an interesting tale of UA and a bag left on the tarmac

https://9to5mac.com/2023/07/20/magic...-airlines-bag/
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
At EWR, naturally ...
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Hopefully it won't take him two week and three phone calls to get his dummy EWR-BOS ticket refunded.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:09 am

Does the AirTag report a location so accurately that you can actually narrow it down to a specific gate? I'm an Android person and so use Tile, but it usually gives me accuracy of a few hundred feet at best.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Really quick thinking on the part of the pax

UA personnel talking out of their rear and making up things are quite common

When his flight landed (probably several hours later because…United)
Subtle

​​​​​​
wrp96, SPN Lifer, ZenFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta, United
On Wednesday, Orleans received an email from United. Not to apologize for the situation but to “let him know they were still looking for his bag and would contact him when they found it.”
He should continue to let United search for his bag. Keep them on the hook for as long as possible.
iluv2fly and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by Starman
Does the AirTag report a location so accurately that you can actually narrow it down to a specific gate? I'm an Android person and so use Tile, but it usually gives me accuracy of a few hundred feet at best.
If there are a few Apple products around, it will get extremely accurate. So just a few people with iPhones by the gate are enough to have it pinpoint where it is.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
He should continue to let United search for his bag. Keep them on the hook for as long as possible.
I would agree in most cases, but he needed the luggage for his gig; otherwise he would have likely suffered financially. If it was clothing, then yes, get new ones and ask UA to reimburse
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The slothful and unhelpful/uncaring behavior of the baggage personnel, including at the CS desk, is typical of my recent experiences when my luggage has been lost. And the poor CS is not just confined to baggage personnel-it's across the board. Morale or quality of staff must be at an all-time low.

How could any airport staff just walk by the bag, isolated on the tarmac, and think that nothing was amiss? It could've been a security issue.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 22, 2023 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
More surprised/concerned that no one on the tarmac was questioning what a bag is doing in the middle of the tarmac? Isn't that what they're (employees at security sensitive locations) asked to do, if you see something say something?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by VRFast
More surprised/concerned that no one on the tarmac was questioning what a bag is doing in the middle of the tarmac? Isn't that what they're (employees at security sensitive locations) asked to do, if you see something say something?
Not a good look for United -- or the EWR based team (which is probably why no one cared about a bag on the tarmac as they all knew it probably fell off a cart).

I once had this same thing happen at EWR just after the bag tracking started but well before Air Tags. Their system showed the bag had been scanned off the plane but it never made it to baggage claim. I refused to leave the airport and eventually they got sick enough of me asking if it had been found yet that someone went out and found it -- Four hours of my life I won't get back.... EWR FTL!
SPN Lifer, wrp96, Repooc17 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not surprised at all, given that it happened at EWR. The employee group there is the most apathetic of all the UA hubs, IMO.
SPN Lifer, Repooc17 and dogloverjb like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Ime attention to security depends on the emphasis that management places on it through training and performance plan elements. If it's not measured it's not managed as it's said
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
At EWR, naturally ...
Whenever is see UA + Newark I shudder in anticipation of what I am about to read.

Nothing good comes from that combination.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by Starman
I have found AirTags to be incredibly accurate.
To within a few metres eg. Next carousel to the one I was standing at waiting for a bag that never appeared.
But agree it would depend on how many iPhone users are in the vicinity as per my carousel experience.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.