Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver/Alert: East Coast Severe Weather (July 9-10, 2023)

Travel Waiver/Alert: East Coast Severe Weather (July 9-10, 2023)

Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Sigh, I might have to fly SFO-EWR-SFO next week for work, and I'm having serious reservations given how bad wx/ops have been at EWR recently.
FWIW, you don't hear about the days which run perfectly fine. While there haven't been as many of them as usual lately (due to weather), there have been numerous days where everything was normal and boring and on-time. Hopefully that's the case for you as well.
jsloan, Boraxo and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I still don't understand the IAH stop though. Even with this terrible routing, It was what, maybe 7-8 hours EWR-SFO? We all know a 777 can easily make that?
Maybe they had crew time out and found one in IAH
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL360, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by prestonh
Maybe they had crew time out and found one in IAH
Multiple west-coast bound widebodies stopped in IAH, however. It wasn't just one. I doubt IAH just happened to have a plethora of crews sitting around.

Also doubt they'd subject the plane to another TOL cycle and pax to a 60+ minute delay just to save a few bucks on gas.

Guess we'll never know...
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Multiple west-coast bound widebodies stopped in IAH, however. It wasn't just one. I doubt IAH just happened to have a plethora of crews sitting around.

Also doubt they'd subject the plane to another TOL cycle and pax to a 60+ minute delay just to save a few bucks on gas.

UA had numerous hours to contact crews ad let them drive to IAH (if it was crew-related) from the time they devised this plan to the time the planes departed EWR and then flew (the long way) to IAH.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:01 pm

I still don't understand the IAH stop though. Even with this terrible routing, It was what, maybe 7-8 hours EWR-SFO? We all know a 777 can easily make that?
Speculation from a non-pilot but could have been that taking on more fuel for that ATC routing would have resulting in losing the takeoff and ATC slot at EWR.

Yesterday was full of operational scrambles. An LAX-EWR 772 diverted to IAD, while multiple inbound European flights to IAD were diverted to JFK (LHs 748 FRA service, EYs flight). Others were sent in an uncommon routing down south to basically Norfolk and then flew up north to IAD.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

What likely happened is a combination of crews in ewr that got stuck mid trip with extra hours on the delays getting in etc. You also had crews in iah and other bases which couldn't get to ewr which meant their trips didn't start. Some of those re routes/diversions in iah likely swapped crews to recover the crew schedules since that is where they might have been.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and ty97 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hit me too. Flight axed on way to airport (RIC-IAD).

Didn't know at the time the extent of what was going on, just that the app was showing no other flights available. Straight to the rental car garage, got a one-way rental and drove home to IAD. Now seeing the extent of this mess, I realize how fortunate I am, and all of y'all who were / are stranded have my sympathy.

Assume I'm eating the cost of the rental myself and no use writing in, correct? (Not complaining, just looking for a quick yes or no)
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IADdelayed
Hit me too. Flight axed on way to airport (RIC-IAD).

Didn't know at the time the extent of what was going on, just that the app was showing no other flights available. Straight to the rental car garage, got a one-way rental and drove home to IAD. Now seeing the extent of this mess, I realize how fortunate I am, and all of y'all who were / are stranded have my sympathy.

Assume I'm eating the cost of the rental myself and no use writing in, correct? (Not complaining, just looking for a quick yes or no)
Ask for a refund of RIC-IAD - that'll probably cover the rental car (assuming you used a decent corp rate)
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADdelayed

Credit card trip insurance? the quality of these vary but some will coverage trip interruption.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:23 pm

Flightaware says it took them 9:45 to get from EWR-IAH on that routing. Departed at 6:03pm eastern arrived IAH 2:48am central.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Ask for a refund of RIC-IAD - that'll probably cover the rental car (assuming you used a decent corp rate)
Perfect advice - refund of the partially used ticket came out to just slightly more than the cost of the rental. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.