Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Groping incident in TSA line - had to make flight, advice needed on how to follow up

Groping incident in TSA line - had to make flight, advice needed on how to follow up

Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Currently on EWR-YUL. My traveling companion and I were meeting at the gate as he was running late. This occurred around 45 min ago so I havenít pressed him on the story. But he clearly stated he was groped by a man who was with his wife and they laughed at him when he complained. This was on the security line Iím not exactly sure where in the process. But Iím sure itís on videotape. When he got to the gate very upset it was about time for the doors to close. So it was either wait and make a police report or get on the plane.
I recognize that getting on the plane may hurt the authorities seriously looking into this but it was a decision that had to be made in an instant. Does anybody have a suggestion how to proceed ?

Last edited by Noanker1; Jun 30, 2023 at 6:19 pm Reason: Need advice not help per say
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What sort of damages are you looking for? And assuming something is on videotape is a stretch IMO.

I sympathize because men can be the subject of groping but it is downplayed. But it should be treated just as seriously and forcefully.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

No damages. This man shouldnít be able to get away with that.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really a subject for this forum if it occurred in a security line. Itís up to your friend to file a report with airport police. Theyíll be able to track down time he went through security, view video to see if they spot the incident, and then probably match offenderís image to their ID scanning. Amount of time police spend on this is probably going to be directly proportional to how much effort your friend wants to exert.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 30, 2023 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not to get too much into personal details or OMNI land, but I unfortunately experienced the same behavior but in a situation where I had zero control of what happened or much awareness. This person ended up being on a plane flying back to an international destination (they were flying back ORD-NRT on UA), and given I was at an outstation and the situation had passed, I evaluated that there was no way that I was going to make the outcome I wanted (which was a criminal one) occur. But I had the convenience(?) of working at the same firm, so I was able to file a complaint, and the individual was terminated within the month.

In this circumstance, the best outcome I think you can get is that UA gives you some compensatory compensation, out of the good of their corporate heart, for what occurred. The fact that you did not act immediately probably will be held against you in court. I am sorry for what your partner had to endure but unless you tell the FAs on the flight who did the act, the longer you wait, the (far) less recourse you have. IANAL but that is my take from having taken a few law courses in undergrad.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Ö.In this circumstance, the best outcome I think you can get is that UA gives you some compensatory compensation, out of the good of their corporate heart, for what occurred...
For something that happened in a security line??? Should United provide goodwill compensation if it happened in the parking lot, too?
moondog, FLYMSY, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The best time is to of course report it at the time, but your partner should be able to contact the police agency responsible for the airport (for EWR this would be the Port Authority Police Department - PAPD) and file a report after the fact, however the chances of anything meaningful happening are probably slim since it would be difficult to identify the perpetrator after the fact (identify as in name/contact info, not identify as in point out) and relative to other investigative responsibilities and just the volume of everything in EWR may not justify an thorough investigation.

I had an onboard drunk-dude-groping-me incident during boarding for a red-eye about 10 years ago that UA handled reasonably well when I flagged it at the moment (I made it clear one of the two of us was not going to be continuing to the destination...) but as far as I know other than the dude being denied boarding for that flight (as he was obviously intoxicated/under the influence once I made UA aware of that they basically had no choice under the applicable regulations) and having me fill out a incident report/customer statement there was no follow-up or anything like that .
SPN Lifer and Noanker1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
In this circumstance, the best outcome I think you can get is that UA gives you some compensatory compensation, out of the good of their corporate heart, for what occurred.
What on Earth? Why would United give out free stuff because of something a TSA agent is alleged to have done?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
For something that happened in a security line??? Should United provide goodwill compensation if it happened in the parking lot, too?
The security line for EWR-originating passengers flying UA EWR-YUL would be at a screening checkpoint whose lines UA controls with its own contractors up to the point of the TSA TDC?

The EWR parking lot access isn’t controlled by UA and/or UA contractors.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

We are not looking for any compensation at all. Just for the assaulted to be called out, whether that means through the court system or being on a no fly list or not allowed to go to Newark Airport. What I am looking for United to do , especially since terminal C is exclusively United and maybe even because I am a 1k and my travel companion is Platinum is walk us through our options get us good contacts within the airport police. Basically take this seriously especially since I know that getting on the flight may work against us. Since we are returning Sunday night it would have pretty much been a lost weekend so it was the choice he made in an instant. We did mention the incident to the gate agent who was amazing and sympathetic but as you would expect she recommended we call the police and miss the flight.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Going by the original post it appears the description of this incident is hearsay only.
Is the "traveling companion" a minor? Because if not, I suggest they handle this themselves.

And clearly (IMO) not much to do with United at all....
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United has zero to do with this. Zero.

Yes, a 1K or Plat should get better handling for a groping than a non-elite. Really???

The incident is between the offended, the offender, and the authorities. There was a United agent at the gate and there was one at baggage check-in. How exactly are they pertinent to any of this??? Didnít happen on a plane or even in a boarding area. Happened in a TSA security line.
TerryK, rch4u, nancypants and 3 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 30, 2023 at 7:32 pm
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP can clarify if I've misunderstood, but from what I read I believe the request is for assistance from United, not for them to take responsibility, as they haven't any very significant one here. United could potentially help with seeing a response to this incident into the right channel.

I have no personal experience with something like this, thankfully, and I can't offer any advice. My sympathies to OP's companion, and I hope for some kind of positive resolution.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Request for assistance

Originally Posted by fumje
OP can clarify if I've misunderstood, but from what I read I believe the request is for assistance from United, not for them to take responsibility, as they haven't any very significant one here. United could potentially help with seeing a response to this incident into the right channel.

I have no personal experience with something like this, thankfully, and I can't offer any advice. My sympathies to OP's companion, and I hope for some kind of positive resolution.
yes request for assistance
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.panynj.gov/police/en/index.html

Not sure why an intermediary is required.
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.