Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for a intra-Europe segment

Baggage allowance for a intra-Europe segment

Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 12
Baggage allowance for a intra-Europe segment

I am booking a multi-city trip from Newark to Europe but unable to determine if I need to pay the fee for a checked luggage.
It will be an Economy ticket (not the Basic Economy). I think it is pretty clear that the first checked luggage is free for the outgoing EWR-LHR as well as the return BCN-EWR segment of the trip.
However, I couldn't find the definitive answer on the middle LHR-BCN segment. Is it considered part of the transatlantic flight and the baggage policy of the first segment applies? Or it is considered a intra-Europe flight and I have to pay for the checked baggage dictated by the non-United carrier. United's baggage fee calculator was not helpful.

Could someone point me to the right place to find the information? Thanks in advance.
GreenDiceLiu is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:51 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,833
Originally Posted by GreenDiceLiu
I am booking a multi-city trip from Newark to Europe but unable to determine if I need to pay the fee for a checked luggage.
It will be an Economy ticket (not the Basic Economy). I think it is pretty clear that the first checked luggage is free for the outgoing EWR-LHR as well as the return BCN-EWR segment of the trip.
However, I couldn't find the definitive answer on the middle LHR-BCN segment. Is it considered part of the transatlantic flight and the baggage policy of the first segment applies? Or it is considered a intra-Europe flight and I have to pay for the checked baggage dictated by the non-United carrier. United's baggage fee calculator was not helpful.

Could someone point me to the right place to find the information? Thanks in advance.
For a trip touching the United States, the baggage rules for the first marketing carrier apply throughout the journey. For a ticket that includes one free bag from EWR-LHR, you'll also, by law, get a free bag on LHR-BCN. Note that any extra bags due to status, credit cards, etc. don't count, but since the initial fare includes a bag, so will LHR-BCN.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:52 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by jsloan
For a trip touching the United States, the baggage rules for the first marketing carrier apply throughout the journey. For a ticket that includes one free bag from EWR-LHR, you'll also, by law, get a free bag on LHR-BCN. Note that any extra bags due to status, credit cards, etc. don't count, but since the initial fare includes a bag, so will LHR-BCN.
jsloan Thanks for the quick reply!
jsloan likes this.
GreenDiceLiu is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:35 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,723
In theory, [MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION] is correct.

In practice, don't be surprised by a fight/dispute.
mduell is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:49 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by mduell
In practice, don't be surprised by a fight/dispute.
Thanks for the head up. I will just pay up and give United a friendly phone call after the trip. I certainly don't want to show up on a viral video of an angry passenger in LHR.
jsloan likes this.
GreenDiceLiu is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 706
Aegean once called me to the gate at LHR before the last leg of a US-LHR-ATH trip where the first leg was on UA. They wanted me to pay a fee for my bag that was checked in the US, with UA, for the LHR-ATH leg they were operating. I refused. They typed a lot. And then they agreed I did not need to pay the fee.

I don't know where the disconnect was. That sort of thing had never happened to me before, and my understanding was that it shouldn't, ever.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jpezaris is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:32 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,833
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Aegean once called me to the gate at LHR before the last leg of a US-LHR-ATH trip where the first leg was on UA. They wanted me to pay a fee for my bag that was checked in the US, with UA, for the LHR-ATH leg they were operating. I refused. They typed a lot. And then they agreed I did not need to pay the fee.

I don't know where the disconnect was. That sort of thing had never happened to me before, and my understanding was that it shouldn't, ever.
Yeah, that's doubly wrong. On a connecting flight, any bag fees are collected at original check-in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.