Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for a intra-Europe segment

Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I am booking a multi-city trip from Newark to Europe but unable to determine if I need to pay the fee for a checked luggage.
It will be an Economy ticket (not the Basic Economy). I think it is pretty clear that the first checked luggage is free for the outgoing EWR-LHR as well as the return BCN-EWR segment of the trip.
However, I couldn't find the definitive answer on the middle LHR-BCN segment. Is it considered part of the transatlantic flight and the baggage policy of the first segment applies? Or it is considered a intra-Europe flight and I have to pay for the checked baggage dictated by the non-United carrier. United's baggage fee calculator was not helpful.

Could someone point me to the right place to find the information? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GreenDiceLiu
I am booking a multi-city trip from Newark to Europe but unable to determine if I need to pay the fee for a checked luggage.
It will be an Economy ticket (not the Basic Economy). I think it is pretty clear that the first checked luggage is free for the outgoing EWR-LHR as well as the return BCN-EWR segment of the trip.
However, I couldn't find the definitive answer on the middle LHR-BCN segment. Is it considered part of the transatlantic flight and the baggage policy of the first segment applies? Or it is considered a intra-Europe flight and I have to pay for the checked baggage dictated by the non-United carrier. United's baggage fee calculator was not helpful.

Could someone point me to the right place to find the information? Thanks in advance.
For a trip touching the United States, the baggage rules for the first marketing carrier apply throughout the journey. For a ticket that includes one free bag from EWR-LHR, you'll also, by law, get a free bag on LHR-BCN. Note that any extra bags due to status, credit cards, etc. don't count, but since the initial fare includes a bag, so will LHR-BCN.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
For a trip touching the United States, the baggage rules for the first marketing carrier apply throughout the journey. For a ticket that includes one free bag from EWR-LHR, you'll also, by law, get a free bag on LHR-BCN. Note that any extra bags due to status, credit cards, etc. don't count, but since the initial fare includes a bag, so will LHR-BCN.
jsloan Thanks for the quick reply!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In theory, [MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION] is correct.

In practice, don't be surprised by a fight/dispute.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
In practice, don't be surprised by a fight/dispute.
Thanks for the head up. I will just pay up and give United a friendly phone call after the trip. I certainly don't want to show up on a viral video of an angry passenger in LHR.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:30 pm

Aegean once called me to the gate at LHR before the last leg of a US-LHR-ATH trip where the first leg was on UA. They wanted me to pay a fee for my bag that was checked in the US, with UA, for the LHR-ATH leg they were operating. I refused. They typed a lot. And then they agreed I did not need to pay the fee.

I don't know where the disconnect was. That sort of thing had never happened to me before, and my understanding was that it shouldn't, ever.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Aegean once called me to the gate at LHR before the last leg of a US-LHR-ATH trip where the first leg was on UA. They wanted me to pay a fee for my bag that was checked in the US, with UA, for the LHR-ATH leg they were operating. I refused. They typed a lot. And then they agreed I did not need to pay the fee.

I don't know where the disconnect was. That sort of thing had never happened to me before, and my understanding was that it shouldn't, ever.
Yeah, that's doubly wrong. On a connecting flight, any bag fees are collected at original check-in.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.