Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hemispheres magazine food section Typos...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, 1K

Reading the June 2023 Hemispheres food section in new font and pix, I noticed 2 spelling errors(see pix below). Does UA proofread?

Cover for June 2023

"Koren"

"Liqour"
Old May 28, 2023, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John17 3
Reading the June 2023 Hemispheres food section in new font and pix, I noticed 2 spelling errors(see pix below). Does UA proofread?

img
Cover for June 2023
img
"Koren"
img
"Liqour"
Lol, does UA proofread? Polaris menu consistently says no.

Seems the "liqour" service started May 2023. "Koren" jerky is new for June.

April 2023

May 2023

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by fumje; May 28, 2023 at 6:50 pm
Old May 28, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Not in the magazine, but my recent favorite typo (not sure where else to post this)...United seems to have created a new Italian region called Liguira (from IFE on my HND-ORD flight week before last).

hhdl and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by ms_go; May 28, 2023 at 7:15 pm
Old May 28, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
When I ran restaurants, I offered a $10 typo bounty if any of my staff members found a typo on a menu that I typed. Our menus changed every few weeks, so far easier to miss one than most restaurants. But, at the price point of restaurants that I ran, a typo immediately makes your value perception lower, hence my anal retentiveness.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ms_go
......United seems to have created a new Italian region called Liguira ....
Isn't that a CNN program, “Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy” -- CNN error
Seems a common miss spelling
Old May 29, 2023, 4:15 am

I take a hard line on this subject: Typos in work product from anything other than a mom-and-pop shop are indicative of staff who are insufficiently talented for their positions and should be replaced.

Given that lack of competence in typography can be largely masked by spell checkers these days, the threshold is even lower. For a company as large as United, who can afford to keep professional designers on staff, there is no excuse.
higher_flyer and jamiel like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Where are the copy editors?
higher_flyer likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've proofread as part of my editorial jobs--both in-house and freelance--for decades, and I can attest to the fact that no one is 100% accurate. My best story is a 72-point article title in a print magazine. Four of us read two sets of proofs each, and we all missed it.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
"'The best thing about Peggy Lou Ann Sue's season' for East High, according to Coach Jones, was 'that she hit over eighty percent of her shots,'" famously led to lawsuit threats from Peggy Lou Ann Sue's parents and a call to the newsroom asking, "What about the other twenty percent?"
Old May 29, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jpezaris
I take a hard line on this subject: Typos in work product from anything other than a mom-and-pop shop are indicative of staff who are insufficiently talented for their positions and should be replaced.
... as well as management that doesn't think it's important so they allow such staff to remain in place.
Old May 29, 2023, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My favorite menu typo was in Shanghai where they had a page of "Human Pickles".

I also find it ironic to have a thread on FlyerTalk criticizing typos. If all the typos, flat-out spelling errors, and grammatical errors were removed from FlyerTalk, it would be down to under 10% of its current volume.
hhdl, grapegrower and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Isn't that a CNN program, “Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy” -- CNN error
The typo is on the touch-screen IFE interface (in Polaris), not on the actual programming. It was also on the IFE menu for this program:

After seeing the typo, I watched the episode, and as far as I could tell there were no misspellings.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I also find it ironic to have a thread on FlyerTalk criticizing typos. If all the typos, flat-out spelling errors, and grammatical errors were removed from FlyerTalk, it would be down to under 10% of its current volume.
It is completely reasonable to hold UA to a higher standard than individuals posting on flyertalk
Old May 29, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Welcome onboard Untied Airlines.
hhdl, Twickenham, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ms_go
The typo is on the touch-screen IFE interface (in Polaris), not on the actual programming. ...

Not that it matters, the first video screen shot showed the misspelling in the video content. Both where probably pulled from the same metadata header. Which could have been UA video content third party or CNN. We will never know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.