Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit" -- what? Are not ther

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit" -- what? Are not ther

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

"Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver."

Can anyone tell me what this means? The flight I booked qualifies for a change fee waiver, but if I cancel it to to get FFC, I don't know if I will still qualify for a change fee waiver. The future booking will be international and not ex-US, if that matters.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giblet
"Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver."

Can anyone tell me what this means? The flight I booked qualifies for a change fee waiver, but if I cancel it to to get FFC, I don't know if I will still qualify for a change fee waiver. The future booking will be international and not ex-US, if that matters.
It means that applying a future flight credit is a change which therefore results in the change fee, if any, being collected. If the underlying fare doesn't have a change fee, then no fee will be charged. And if the underlying fare has a change fee, but there's a waiver of that fee in place, then no fee will be charged.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
It means that applying a future flight credit is a change which therefore results in the change fee, if any, being collected. If the underlying fare doesn't have a change fee, then no fee will be charged. And if the underlying fare has a change fee, but there's a waiver of that fee in place, then no fee will be charged.
I'm sorry, I'm still not clear on whether I am going to get charged. Is the underlying fare the one for the ticket I cancelled or for the new ticket? If it's for the new one and they are maintaining change fees for flights originating outside the US, it sounds like I'm going to be charged even though the original ticket had a change fee waiver. Is that right?

*Just talked to United chat and they said because my original ticket had a change fee waiver, I will not have a change fee when I rebook, even if it's an ex-Europe flight.

Last edited by giblet; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:48 am
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giblet
I'm sorry, I'm still not clear on whether I am going to get charged. Is the underlying fare the one for the ticket I cancelled or for the new ticket?
The one that was cancelled. That represents your contract with UA until the new flight is booked. If your new flight has a change fee, that would be effective on a subsequent change, but It wouldn't apply retroactively to the change you were already making.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by linsj
Before I cancel these flights, I'd like to be sure of what will happen.

Flight #1: booked economy (not refundable) on July 11 for later this month with $50 travel bank from credit card & payment for rest. Will I get a TB credit with new expiration date and ETC for full amount of payment?

Flight #2: booked economy (not refundable) on July 11 for later this month with ETC. Will I get a new ETC for full amount?
I decided to cancel but got this message: "Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver." How do I know if I qualify for the waver? Would I be better off changing the flights instead of cancelling?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I decided to cancel but got this message: "Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver." How do I know if I qualify for the waver? Would I be better off changing the flights instead of cancelling?
The problem cases are BE fares and trips originating (first flight) outside North America (or Canada). BE fares after 31 April have change fees. The others are presently covered by waivers, so even those are not a problem but may in the future.
Other trips have no changes fees period.

Changing or canceling should make no difference.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Before I cancel these flights, I'd like to be sure of what will happen.

Flight #1: booked economy (not refundable) on July 11 for later this month with $50 travel bank from credit card & payment for rest. Will I get a TB credit with new expiration date and ETC for full amount of payment?

Flight #2: booked economy (not refundable) on July 11 for later this month with ETC. Will I get a new ETC for full amount?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The problem cases are BE fares and trips originating (first flight) outside North America (or Canada). BE fares after 31 April have change fees. The others are presently covered by waivers, so even those are not a problem but may in the future.
Other trips have no changes fees period.

Changing or canceling should make no difference.
Thanks for the confirmation that I won't have restrictions when rebooking.

N104UA: Thanks for the confirmation above.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:07 pm

cancel united flight

hello,
I am trying to cancel a united airlines flight from US to UK.
brought tickets online at united.com.
this is what show up when I try to cancel-

Transaction summary

Credit
$6,354.70
To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number XXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 17, 2024.​​​​​​​

2 Adult (18-64) $4,830.00 Taxes and fees $1,524.70.

so how much of my money will be refunded or can be used to book new flights later?
are the taxes and fees not refunded?

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mini425
hello,
I am trying to cancel a united airlines flight from US to UK.
brought tickets online at united.com.
this is what show up when I try to cancel-

Transaction summary

Credit
$6,354.70
To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number XXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 17, 2024.​​​​​​​

2 Adult (18-64) $4,830.00 Taxes and fees $1,524.70.

so how much of my money will be refunded or can be used to book new flights later?
are the taxes and fees not refunded?

Thanks.
You'll have nothing refunded unless you booked a refundable fare. From what you wrote above, it's all going to wind up as a credit. Yu will have a Future Flight Credit (FFC) of $6,354.70 to use for travel that begins before February 17, 2024.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. so will I get to use the whole amount of $6,354.70 as credits to use for travel that begins before February 17, 2024?
It says change fees may apply, should I call the united representative to see if any change fees will be deducted?
Just want to make sure I will not be out of the Taxes and fees of $1,524.70.
If it is about 100-200 $ that is ok, but their website says a change fee of 400 for international flights, so that will be 800 for 2 people.

my ticket says
United Economy (B) for 3 flights and United Premium Plus (O) for one flight.

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mini425
Thanks for the reply. so will I get to use the whole amount of $6,354.70 as credits to use for travel that begins before February 17, 2024?
It says change fees may apply, should I call the united representative to see if any change fees will be deducted?
Just want to make sure I will not be out of the Taxes and fees of $1,524.70.
If it is about 100-200 $ that is ok, but their website says a change fee of 400 for international flights, so that will be 800 for 2 people.

my ticket says
United Economy (B) for 3 flights and United Premium Plus (O) for one flight.

Thanks.
all ex-US tickets (that aren’t basic economy) haven’t had a change fee since not long after COVID started. I’ve definitely seen a lot of ex-international that don’t have it either, though not certain it’s blanket. That said, you can check your fare rules to see what the fee is if there is one, though I’d think fairly unlikely on a B fare.

you’ll get everything back in FFC, including fees/taxes. In the small chance there is a change fee, you’ll pay that separately when you select your new flights, and pay nothing when you cancel the existing itinerary.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:48 pm

Message from UA regarding use of future flight credits

Family of 3 who has booked RT SFO to NRT on ANA's PE. Now thinking of cancelling the flights and use the credit to rebook on UA as we want to try upgrading to business. There is no upgrade allowed for our ANA flights. However when I tried to cancel the flights, I got this message.

To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 22, 2024.

What do they mean by a change fee waiver? And they did not state how much the change fee will be. I don't want to make any change til I understand what it is about. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2023 at 4:08 pm Reason: hide PNR for privacy reasons
Old May 28, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by monkeymommy
Family of 3 who has booked RT SFO to NRT on ANA's PE. Now thinking of cancelling the flights and use the credit to rebook on UA as we want to try upgrading to business. There is no upgrade allowed for our ANA flights. However when I tried to cancel the flights, I got this message.

To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number LJP1HS to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 22, 2024.

What do they mean by a change fee waiver? And they did not state how much the change fee will be. I don't want to make any change til I understand what it is about. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you.
yes , I ran in to this as well. Certain fares to/from Japan and Asia still carry change fees. You could perhaps make a case to a supervisor, like I did, to get the change fee…however, it took a few tries, and even when the lead did it, she wasn’t very happy about doing so.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If it was booked ex-SFO, and wasn’t basic economy (or whatever they call the equivalent to Japan - I thought there was a basic-like fare under a different name), there should be no change fee. You only get charged, when it exists, when rebooking.
Old May 28, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
to think that UA could be more explicit about this instead of using vague language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.