Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get UA to open a UC at an airport (TPA) where they don't have one?

How to get UA to open a UC at an airport (TPA) where they don't have one?

Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Meanwhile UA has more volume in TPA but they remain with a UC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2023 at 3:23 pm Reason: Moved from SLC UC thread
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not sure why folks keep mention volume. The UCs are marketing activities. Suggest thinking, where would an additional UC have the most impact on new business? Where is a UCs needed for competitive reasons?

The other issue is this SLC UC is 3 or more years in the future and is just a potential plan by the airport. UA has not yet mentioned this and there are probably other UCs in UA's future plans.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Ok Moderator. Please let me rephrase. Why are the marketing activities different from RDU to compare it to TPA? In my biased opinion TPA market strategy is stronger.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are likely many factors in UA's placement of UCs most of which we do not have the data
Comparing an existing location to a potential new location will have different factors than comparing two new locations. Decisions reason change as plans change.
How do the locations fit in future growth plans?
Is the location a destination only or connecting traffic?
Demographics of travelers
... and many more

Originally Posted by elmira56925
Why are the marketing activities different from RDU to compare it to TPA? In my biased opinion TPA market strategy is stronger. ...
there are really only two answers
1) UA is stupid and wasteful
2) UA has some information, we don't have, that is causing the different choices. What, I have no idea. We heard earlier UA has considered TPA, what is stopping them?

Very much understand the desire to get a higher level of service / satisfaction for a select group of travelers but UA is looking for more than that. What, I have no idea, but trying to understand UA's perspective would help to understand the reasoning.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elmira56925
Meanwhile UA has more volume in TPA but they remain with a UC.
But having a UC in SLC is needed to compete in a large Delta hub. I'm pretty sure UA calculates what the value of a new UC is in a city - not to UA customers who currently fly UA to/from a certain city w/o a UC, but to those UA thinks can be enticed from other carriers on the basis of a new UC.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 7, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.