Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get UA to open a UC at an airport (TPA) where they don't have one?

How to get UA to open a UC at an airport (TPA) where they don't have one?

Old May 26, 2023, 3:06 pm
st3
Original Poster

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and did not you mention TPA was smaller then all but two
SAT and MSY were two that I knew off the top of my head. I did a quick check and PDX is as well. Maybe I need to make a definitive list based on current data....

Neither is *A (and just 1? flight daily each). Even if they approached UA to be a contract lounge for business class passenger, not sure they do that, relative small number. And as mention the gate locations of other carriers is a problem.
They aren't *A but are owned by LH/LX, can be booked on 016 stock, earn PQPs etc. As noted the location in a different part of the airport would be an issue though.

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
For better or for worse, TPA (lived there for a short time) will always be seen as a leisure market first. SAT has a lot of daily business flyers to/from DFW and IAH, so they have good reasons to have a club. I'd also add that AA and DL both do >1.5x the traffic of UA at TPA.
MCO is even more leisure dependent than TPA is and they have a club there. UA isn't even one of the top 5 carriers at MCO either.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Old May 26, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I'm still surprised there was a club in SNA last time I flew out of there.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by st3
MCO is even more leisure dependent than TPA is and they have a club there.
And I'm willing to bet it's worth it to United just for the Disney corporate traffic.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by st3

MCO is even more leisure dependent than TPA is and they have a club there. UA isn't even one of the top 5 carriers at MCO either.
2022 passenger totals:

TPA -- 21.5 million
MCO -- 50.2 million
hhdl likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by st3
SAT and MSY were two that I knew off the top of my head. I did a quick check and PDX is as well. Maybe I need to make a definitive list based on current data....
PDX once had a larger UA footprint and SAT had a larger CO footprint. Pointing out to UA what they already know will not be a convincing argument

Originally Posted by st3
They aren't *A but are owned by LH/LX, can be booked on 016 stock, earn PQPs etc. ...
4Y and WK don't have access to other UCs, why would TPA be different?
Originally Posted by st3
As noted the location in a different part of the airport would be an issue though. ...
So agree 4Y and WK are not options?
UA will build if they are convinced there is enough TPA UA activity and enough new UA business created to justify a UC

Are you aware of anything the UA would not be aware that would significantly boost TPA UA business, that might make a different. A major corporate relocation (but I suspect the UA station manager tracks that carefully).
Originally Posted by st3
CO is even more leisure dependent than TPA is and they have a club there. UA isn't even one of the top 5 carriers at MCO either.
And how much larger is MCO and UA at MCO then TPA?
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Clubs exist for legacy reasons and have capital costs fully depreciated -- makes them much cheaper to operate / justify to continue to operate.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Wooglin like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Email your sales rep.
DELee likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mduell
Email your sales rep.
Probably even better to have your CEO e-mail your UA sales rep.

David
Old May 27, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Shh... I'm there nearly every month. Don't call attention to it or they'll notice it's usually empty.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Shh... I'm there nearly every month. Don't call attention to it or they'll notice it's usually empty.
I thought they were closing that one. SNA is my preferred West Coast airport and the club is almost always empty. It's got to be costing UA a bunch to keep it open.
SPN Lifer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 4:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
According to this fact sheet on the TPA airport website... https://www.tampaairport.com/sites/d...Sheet-0223.pdf

United is ~10% of the 21M.

I live here and would LOVE to see them add a UA club! Not sure that United really cares what I want though!
Old May 29, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
It still boggles my mind. TPA has a strong flow of volume which would justify a UC. I was just at MSP where has lesser volume of UA flights and they have a club. Everyone knows theres plenty of space on the 2nd floor by gate A1 which is unused. It would be a good fit
Old May 29, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
SNA is a pretty HNW area ... its legacy UA of course.; AA has a club there as well, it would be a good place for a centurion.

In general, outstations likely have clubs based on how much corp traffic is based or goes there. MCO, while its "disney", also has a ton of convention traffic, perhaps that's why MSY does as well. I think Tampa probably is up there in terms of the "next up" list,
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by entropy
SNA is a pretty HNW area ... its legacy UA of course.; AA has a club there as well, it would be a good place for a centurion.

In general, outstations likely have clubs based on how much corp traffic is based or goes there. MCO, while its "disney", also has a ton of convention traffic, perhaps that's why MSY does as well. I think Tampa probably is up there in terms of the "next up" list,
We travel to MCO frequently, and the club is always packed...and getting worse. 50% of the time, we end up back in the business area due to no open seating, including this morning.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither is *A (and just 1? flight daily each).
Not even that. At least this time of year, 4Y operates to TPA five times per week, and WK only two.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy (Post # 27)
HNW = high net worth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.