Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Lounge option -- UCs vs Centurion

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
SFO Lounge option -- UCs vs Centurion

Two of us will be flying out of SFO tomorrow (Monday), international flight from the G concourse. First time as Gold so we'll have the option of the United Club (not Polaris) in G or the Amex Centurion lounge (we both have Platinum cards for access). Suggestions as which is a better option? It's an evening flight so we'll have plenty of time. Thanks in advance.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA1K
I would go to the centurion lounge - food options are much better. Both can get very crowded though, so definitely hop between the two as needed
nlf, BruceWG, nomad420 and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The UC in G is awful. Rotunda Club in F is better. Amex CL is less crowded since expansion and restricted guest policy, but the food has gone way downhill (while it's improved at UC).
frutabell, Boraxo and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:19 am

Centurion beats the pants off of the United Club.
Aussienarelle and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:46 am

As amex plat cardholders:

If you are flying out of SFO ( not connecting at SFO), then you can only access Centurion lounge 3hr before departure.

So you can only access UC at noon, then Centurion later in the day, for your evening flight.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Depends on what time is your flight. The Centurion Lounge closes at 9pm.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Centurion beats the pants off of the United Club.
When was the last time you were in each at SFO?
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
The UC in G is awful. Rotunda Club in F is better. Amex CL is less crowded since expansion and restricted guest policy, but the food has gone way downhill (while it's improved at UC).
Just here to agree with every single part of this.

The Amex CL food was already going downhill (also getting really boring and repetitive when I was doing frequent domestic flights). That trend has continued, but at least now one can usually find a place to sit and get some work done. Amazing how much better the Amex CL in DEN is.

The UC's continue to improve - I don't have a membership, so I only check them out if I'm upgraded to New York, or flying international and bored of sitting in the PL. Rotunda is definitely the way to go, but it can get overcrowded in my limited recent experience. Then gain, the one in G gets even more overcrowded...
Old May 22, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Here just to agree with the narrow point that Rotunda is the best of the UC options. Just give the extra 5-ish minutes to walk to the gate.

Also - if you have Priority Pass through Chase SR, then a restaurant option should be on your list.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cricketer
... Rotunda is definitely the way to go, but it can get overcrowded in my limited recent experience. ......
Most are not aware of the space in the far back. A bit of a walk back to the food but best chance of a seat if crowded.
artvandalay, char777 and cricketer like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Most are not aware of the space in the far back. A bit of a walk back to the food but best chance of a seat if crowded.
Definitely, and much quieter.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Definitely, and much quieter.
Agreed. In addition I miss the dedicated quiet zone that used to be at the back of the rotunda UC.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cricketer
Just here to agree with every single part of this.

The Amex CL food was already going downhill (also getting really boring and repetitive when I was doing frequent domestic flights). That trend has continued, but at least now one can usually find a place to sit and get some work done. Amazing how much better the Amex CL in DEN is.
SF Centurion has had the worst food in the system since shortly after it opened when they seem to have settled on "Bland" as their culinary theme. I guess their theory is that Bay Area people like spa food. Never mind that a ton of people in the lounge are passing through and don't live there or are Asian Americans used to properly seasoned food. They should just make halfway decent Chinese food and it would be a huge improvement. Chop up those gamey chicken thighs and cook them in a decent sauce with salt, sugar, umami and fat.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Agreed, however Saturday afternoon during a four hour stay due to delayed flight, the relative quiet at the back was interrupted by a guy who carried on a lengthy, loud cellphone conversation. Who ARE these people?
Old May 22, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dkmatter
SF Centurion has had the worst food in the system since shortly after it opened when they seem to have settled on "Bland" as their culinary theme. I guess their theory is that Bay Area people like spa food. Never mind that a ton of people in the lounge are passing through and don't live there or are Asian Americans used to properly seasoned food. They should just make halfway decent Chinese food and it would be a huge improvement. Chop up those gamey chicken thighs and cook them in a decent sauce with salt, sugar, umami and fat.
I guess the problem is that the lounge has always been full and I see people with loaded plates. So the data will show that the food is being consumed at a high rate. No need to change it unless people stop entering and eating - though if that happened they'd just close the lounge. Bottom line - can't win because most people will happily eat anything if it's free (or perceived as free).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.