Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help - Multi leg IAH-CDG/LHR-IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All of them

I'm planning a family vacation over Thanksgiving from Houston to Paris - train to London - and then London to Houston. Traveling in Premium Economy.

I realize no one carrier will offer non-stop both ways. My question is on the connecting outbound fly.

Connect through IAD...787 service to CDG
Connect through EWR...787 or 767 service to CDG
Connect through ORD...787 service to CDG

My main concern is weather

TIA
Old May 16, 2023, 7:33 pm

I'd imagine all 3 hubs will be a mess over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Since you're in Premium Plus and will be in Economy Plus on the domestic leg, I would book whichever connection offers the longest international leg and shortest domestic leg. I believe that would be ORD. Is connecting through FRA or MUC an option?
Old May 16, 2023, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tmas

Connect through IAD...787 service to CDG
Connect through EWR...787 or 767 service to CDG
Connect through ORD...787 service to CDG

My main concern is weather

TIA
In November, ORD or EWR is likely to have more weather issues than IAD BUT equally important is layover. If IAD connection is significantly shorter then the others, might look elsewhere.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Of the three, IAD is the least prone to bad weather that leads to a disaster.

The next consideration would be seat arrangements. The 787 is 2-3-2 in PE while the 767 is 2-2-2. Not sure the size of your family, but one configuration may be better than the other.

Finally, the noon-ish flights from IAH-EWR/IAD are widebodies. They are less prone to delays/cancellations and a more comfortable ride (though they don’t sell PE seats officially on those legs).

As a curve ball, United will sell you IAH-Frankfurt/Munich-CDG. I prefer the longer flights over the water so that I can rest and be ready on arrival. Those international flights are also very unlikely to be cancelled, even in bad weather.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmhua777
Of the three, IAD is the least prone to bad weather that leads to a disaster.

The next consideration would be seat arrangements. The 787 is 2-3-2 in PE while the 767 is 2-2-2. Not sure the size of your family, but one configuration may be better than the other.

Finally, the noon-ish flights from IAH-EWR/IAD are widebodies. They are less prone to delays/cancellations and a more comfortable ride (though they don’t sell PE seats officially on those legs).

As a curve ball, United will sell you IAH-Frankfurt/Munich-CDG. I prefer the longer flights over the water so that I can rest and be ready on arrival. Those international flights are also very unlikely to be cancelled, even in bad weather.
From Houston during Thanksgiving, taking IAH-FRA/MUC-CDG would be my first choice by far. Get across the Atlantic and avoid IAD/EWR/ORD altogether. If you want to fly on a 787, the go with IAD. Of the 3 it will be the least annoying experience.
lskohn and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd connect via FRA/MUC or even AMS to avoid the domestic connection.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Does UA not fly IAH-CDG year-round?
Old May 17, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by CJ99
UA doesn't fly IAH-CDG. They did during the CO days.

I also suggest connecting in FRA/MUC to CDG.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am not in favor of backtracking - e.g. IAH-FRA/MUC-CDG.

I would recommend nonstop IAH-LHR both ways, and then just take the train to Paris.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I would recommend nonstop IAH-LHR both ways, and then just take the train to Paris.
I just did this from DEN. Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross to Eurostar. The only downside to using RT to LHR is if you go higher than coach, there are usually additional taxes.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MM
At Thanksgiving, the chances of weather bad enough to significantly impact air operations at ORD, EWR, or IAD is very low. I wouldn’t worry about that aspect at all.
Old May 17, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
The UK's "exit tax" which can be very high may figure into your decision on whether to fly out of the UK back to the US or return via somewhere else in Europe that doesn't impose these very high fees on travelers. I've done many a DEN-LHR - Eurostar - CDG-ORD-DEN trip with my family of five and put the saved money towards some fun in Paris

EDIT: Avoid EWR at all costs.

EDIT2: A dummy booking in Premium Economy 11/22 to 12/6 flying into and out of the UK priced at $1589 of which $290 was exit fees. CDG exit fees re about $40
CJ99, econ and VRFast like this.

Last edited by limey1K; May 17, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Old May 17, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by Repooc17

You can also take Thalys from AMS airport to Paris. Perhaps less of a hassle than trekking from LHR into town, and then taking Eurostar. I think it's about 3h from AMS to Paris Gare du Nord. You could do openjaw IAH-AMS / LHR-IAH. Would avoid domestic transfer at all costs.
CJ99 and halls120 like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by marks88
You can also take Thalys from AMS airport to Paris. Perhaps less of a hassle than trekking from LHR into town, and then taking Eurostar. I think it's about 3h from AMS to Paris Gare du Nord. You could do openjaw IAH-AMS / LHR-IAH. Would avoid domestic transfer at all costs.
This would be my choice. With a connection at FRA/MUC a close second.

Originally Posted by CJ99
Year around service to LHR (x2), FRA, MUC & AMS. That’s it to Europe on UA from IAH. I’ve always thought AMS was an odd choice but maybe I’m missing something. I’ve somewhat frequently found reasonable J fares and/or upgrade space on the AMS route.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Year around service to LHR (x2), FRA, MUC & AMS. That’s it to Europe on UA from IAH. I’ve always thought AMS was an odd choice but maybe I’m missing something. I’ve somewhat frequently found reasonable J fares and/or upgrade space on the AMS route.
AMS has historically been related to the KL connections when CO was in ST, and now likely because of energy (O&G) industry.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.