Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Old May 23, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Someone here said it's okay? UA is pushing near 100,000 employees (though I have no idea how many work in a UC) and one got something wrong with an LH boarding pass. It's dissappointing but hardly shocking.
From a quick glance upthread, I see at least three posters saying something to the effect of "well, the light didn't turn green so you get what you get". I agree that it's not shocking that UA didn't train their people to know any more than that; I also think that's absurd.
seanp7, TPJ, AirbusFan2B and 1 others like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Someone here said it's okay? UA is pushing near 100,000 employees (though I have no idea how many work in a UC) and one got something wrong with an LH boarding pass. It's dissappointing but hardly shocking.
I've had issues with UA and AC boarding passes.

This thread may be about "one specific case", but the general case of "my BP doesn't show the status that entitles me to access, but I have a physical/digital card with the status" has certainly happened to me multiple times.

Sometimes I push for 10 minutes until they decide doing what I ask might make me go away (and then *shockingly* the system says I can come in). Other times I give up and go somewhere else.
SPN Lifer, JayhawkCO and TPACjv like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If I am flying YVR-SFO and crediting to AC, and want to access the UC on arrival (absolutely within the access policy for UA*G), the BP will not reflect my access. This is an even more likely scenario when I'm only UA*S (last year, maybe next year, etc.).
It continues to amaze me that UA allows people to credit to one program and use the benefits from another. I believe it was Gordon Bethune who instituted a crackdown on this 20+ years ago on the pmCO side.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Cool

Originally Posted by jsloan
It continues to amaze me that UA allows people to credit to one program and use the benefits from another. I believe it was Gordon Bethune who instituted a crackdown on this 20+ years ago on the pmCO side.
Why? I am a 1K. I earned my status. United got what they required for me to earn that status. For whatever reason, I have chosen to credit this flight to another program. That does not change my status with United, why should I not be entitled to the benefits I earned? Status is based on my activity in the past, not the present.
seanp7 and canadiancow like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majortom
Why? I am a 1K. I earned my status. United got what they required for me to earn that status. For whatever reason, I have chosen to credit this flight to another program. That does not change my status with United, why should I not be entitled to the benefits I earned? Status is based on my activity in the past, not the present.
Because i dont see any reason why UA should allow someone to have their cake and eat it too. Theyre paying for somebodys lounge access, and then turning around and paying another airline for award miles. It doesnt bother me it has zero effect on me but it surprises me.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
A traveler should not have to assume incompetence on the part of UA's lounge staff.

How far have things sunk when this is somehow deemed acceptable?
You only need one staff person who doesn't understand the totality of the rules to prevent you from achieving what you are trying to accomplish. That's why HUACA exists.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Because i don’t see any reason why UA should allow someone to have their cake and eat it too.
Then UA should opt-out of Star Alliance. It's UA, to some degree, that is having it's cake and eating it too (JV deals, capturing *G foreign travellers on their network, etc)

Originally Posted by majortom
I agree with this. If you've met the requirements of a foreign program to be *G or whatever, then by the definition of the alliance you should be recognized. Where you credit the flights, within the alliance, on day of travel is irrelevant for already-earned status (in my view - I understand the counter argument but don't agree).
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:02 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Because i dont see any reason why UA should allow someone to have their cake and eat it too.
I recall discussion on NZ forum that NZ is actually the only *A carrier explicitly prohibiting this practice. Other airlines would even allow you to add FQTV (earn miles)/FQTS (get status benefits) to the PNR - however this needs to be done by a travel agency or call center agent.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Then UA should opt-out of Star Alliance. It's UA, to some degree, that is having it's cake and eating it too (JV deals, capturing *G foreign travellers on their network, etc)
None of those require allowing people to double-dip. In fact, its bad for both airlines involved.

I agree with this. If you've met the requirements of a foreign program to be *G or whatever, then by the definition of the alliance you should be recognized.
Youre conflating the human with the account. Id argue that its the account, not the person, that has status.

By allowing people to claim benefits from one account and credit to another, theyre giving people a path toward cross-*A status match, which is something that UA, at least, has never allowed.

To reiterate, it doesnt bother me. I just dont understand why any of the airlines involve permit it.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
You’re conflating the human with the account. I’d argue that it’s the account, not the person, that has status.
Accounts don't fly on planes, people do.

Another example: I'm the UA Gold companion of a lifetime 1MM'er. I'm trying to become HON on LH by crediting to LH, but I'm on the lowest tier as I'm starting out. Should I be denied *Gold benefits when flying LH until I'm the equivalent of *G on LH Miles & More? If yes, why?

I'm also not bothered, just trying to argue the other side of the coin.
TPACjv likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Another example: I'm the UA Gold companion of a lifetime 1MM'er. I'm trying to become HON on LH by crediting to LH, but I'm on the lowest tier as I'm starting out. Should I be denied *Gold benefits when flying LH until I'm the equivalent of *G on LH Miles & More? If yes, why?
I would posit that yes, you should be denied *G benefits earned (or gifted) via another airline's loyalty program when trying to build loyalty credit on another airline. IMHO, you either take the benefits and the credit from A or you take the (lack of) benefits and credit from B. In my mind -- and I am by no means saying that this is the only valid way to look at it -- they are part of the same package, and just like Home Depot doesn't let you break open a set of tools to exchange a single tool you don't like as much for one you like more.

Part of my thinking in this is that some *G benefits have a tangible cost to the airline making them available, e.g. for *G club admission the airline "hosting" the member's status reimburses the lounge operator some $ amount per admission. Thus you are costing that airline the value of benefits without providing the reciprocal to the airline (and depriving them of the $ they would have gotten by selling your credited miles to the operating airline).

Do I think it's as problematic as Hidden City Ticketing, not even close. Is it something I would do? I won't say no but I don't see a situation in my travels where I would. But unless/until the rules explicitly cover this case to each their own...
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While we can debate whether other *G benefits should accrue when crediting to another program, the lounge benefit clearly does not require that the qualifying FF# be associated with the reservation.

So the discussion of "double-dipping" is a bit OT IMO.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
so at CLE, as a 1K, star gold flying intl, masked ff # on BP showing star gold, polaris over the water, and I have a club membership.
Right scanner: Denied entry. Ask customer to buy day pass, renew membership using his mmm,mmm miles, or ask if flying "international first"
agent: That doesn't seem right
Left scanner: Welcome Mr. 50K

Agent for the win
SPN Lifer, seanp7 and JimInOhio like this.

Last edited by 50Kthehardway; May 25, 2023 at 7:42 am
Old May 25, 2023, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
so at CLE, as a 1K, star gold flying intl, masked ff # on BP showing star gold, polaris over the water, and I have a club membership.
Right scanner: Denied entry. Ask customer to buy day pass, renew membership using his mmm,mmm miles, or ask if flying "international first"
agent: That doesn't seem right
Left scanner: Welcome Mr. 50K

Agent for the win
Good to see that HUCA works in person as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.