Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Old May 16, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
i don't know. There has always been the occasional funky issue around boarding passes issued by partner airlines that don't pass on status or even the frequent flyer number. There is another thread recently started where the UA boarding pass shows business for passenger on LH in first. I would expect that lounge agents should be trained to be aware of the possibility of these issues and not completely relying on the computer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fumje
Kind of? But if for some reason the BP isn't set up correctly (e.g., missing FQTV), I think it's reasonable that an agent should know to ask for scanning the *G card, and potentially even offer to update BP if relevant. That is my experience with other airlines, like LX. They don't just reply "computer says no; go away".
I guess you have never flown through FRA, dealing with LH agents.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've flown many UA issued award tix on LH Group carriers and for as long as I can recall the BP has included my MP number and properly ID'ed me as *G. So I don't really find this theory credible.

Ironically, for many years with LH Group, the problem getting into lounges was that agents wouldn't accept a BP scan and insisted on seeing the physical card. The exact opposite of what happened here (and complete opposite of this "suppression" theory).

They ought to know. That's the point.

It's not that long ago there were no BP scanners.

This reminds me of schools not teaching arithmetic anymore because everyone just relies on calculators now. Just another indicator of the decline of western civilization . . . .
Just because it has not happened to you doesn't mean the issue does not exist. I personally had experienced this, where my UA*G status did not appear on an OS BP. I had it rectified with the check-in agent, otherwise I would not be able to access the Senator Lounge.

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I think this is kind of a cop out. I could print a cheat sheet with the rules for the agents to reference and define some terms and have a staff trained up after an hour.

I've was in the restaurant biz for a long time and got folks trained up on far more complicated computer systems, menu items, wine and cocktail lists, etc. in a far more stressful environment than sitting at a desk at a United club. This is a failure of training systems, plain and simple.
​​​​​​
​This is also not agents saying "I don't know". This is agents very confidently saying incorrect information. If United actually did some auditing of their own staff, they'd see the shortcomings.
Check out the thread on the BA forum on the access cheat sheet for the Chelsea lounge at JFK and see how that is working out for them. (Spoiler alert: FTers disagree with the ruling on the cheat sheet)

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
They could pull up the itinerary in their system (as it was an 016 ticket) and note the frequent flyer number on it and then verify the status from there. But it sounds like the agents don't understand 90% of their job (providing access to those who are entitled to it).
No - 90% of their job is to deny entry, as that's what they are doing all day with people trying to gain access who are not entitled.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
The sooner every Airport Lounge gets automated gates with automated access the better... no more "i don't feel like letting this person in because reasons." No more "you need a physical membership card that we don't send out anymore so tough luck"-- You either have access or you don't. /rant
Old May 21, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Granted they should have been more helpful, but it was a LH boarding pass. Can UA agent re-issue or rectify the boarding pass? Doesn't the carrier have control of the ticket by then?
I'd wager that OP would have needed to head to the gate or LH lounge to have the BP fixed. I'm confidently guessing LH already had control of the ticket by then.

In my own travels I've recently had trouble with my FFP number being properly coded when flying *A partners on 016 stock tix as well.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAL4life
The sooner every Airport Lounge gets automated gates with automated access the better... no more "i don't feel like letting this person in because reasons." No more "you need a physical membership card that we don't send out anymore so tough luck"-- You either have access or you don't. /rant
Exactly. Blaming agents who likely receive no training since they have an automated system is misplaced.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:33 pm

Clearly agents should have known, but it's astounding how many people walk up to a United Lounge entrance and try to talk themselves in with all sorts of reasons, excuses, and tales of woe, taking tones that range from entitled to ignorant and everything in between. That has to wear them down and affect their willingness to look beyond the red light even when they clearly should.
PTahCha, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Such a myriad of responses.

If their job is to just watch the green light, then UA should just hire 16 yr olds.

The OP had a UA Platinum card and is clearly *G, which the card shows you, bottom right. I get that they work through dozens of ineligible customers in a shift, but producing that UA card with the BP should immediately grant access; no further questions.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7

The OP had a UA Platinum card and is clearly *G, which the card shows you, bottom right. I get that they work through dozens of ineligible customers in a shift, but producing that UA card with the BP should immediately grant access; no further questions.
No further questions? You need a valid boarding pass - UA isnít going to get paid otherwise.
Old May 21, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
No further questions? You need a valid boarding pass - UA isnít going to get paid otherwise.
Why is the BP in doubt?

Originally Posted by seanp7
Such a myriad of responses.

If their job is to just watch the green light, then UA should just hire 16 yr olds.

seanp7 and Kacee like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 2:13 pm

Why is the BP in doubt?

No mileage #
Old May 21, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PTahCha
No - 90% of their job is to deny entry, as that's what they are doing all day with people trying to gain access who are not entitled.
Last time I was at the entrance to a United lounge, waiting while the agent helped us rebook a flight, it seemed that 90% of the agents' jobs was to tell Polaris passengers they should go to the Polaris lounge, and that it was a lot better than the regular UA club. (A lot of Polaris passengers seemed to be very dubious of that!)
Old May 21, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
No mileage #
?

I'm getting the sense of circles being talked now, but what are you defining as a valid boarding pass?
Old May 21, 2023, 2:50 pm

?

I'm getting the sense of circles being talked now, but what are you defining as a valid boarding pass?
Mileage # on the boarding pass
Old May 21, 2023, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
?I'm getting the sense of circles being talked now, but what are you defining as a valid boarding pass?
Yeah - that word is not in the rules.

UA violated *A rules by refusing entry when pax departing ORD on an international *A operated flight presented "a boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight" along with his *A Gold card. https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

This is such a simple, basic rule, it's truly pathetic that UA can't ensure its lounge agents are familiar with it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah - that word is not in the rules.

UA violated *A rules by refusing entry when pax departing ORD on an international *A operated flight presented "a boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight" along with his *A Gold card. https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

This is such a simple, basic rule, it's truly pathetic that UA can't ensure its lounge agents are familiar with it.
It needs to be on the boarding pass. Then problem solved

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.