Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Wrongly Denied access to UC at ORD? - UA *G intl partner flight without MP account

Old May 13, 2023, 12:24 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by chicitip
Is it possible that the front greeters are from LH given that LHs were departing at the time?
Nope. 100 percent of the time they are true United Premium Services agents.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
So assuming integration between UA and LH is meh, I see the solution as:

Add mileage number before check-in.
I was able to do it now in the LH app but since BPs are issued it's not reflecting.
All other data including KT for precheck did transfer.
Old May 13, 2023, 3:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't let the agents manage the process. If the status doesn't appear on your boarding pass, first scan your MP digital card when you walk up. The computer will prompt the agent to ask you for a same-day boarding pass; scan that. Then the computer will determine eligibility for the agent.
Steve M, LAX UA 1K, seanp7 and 8 others like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My guess for what happened here is that your UA MileagePlus number was in the FQTR field, and lounge access depends on the status in the FQTV/FQTS field. The agent should have been able to manually match your mileageplus number with the boarding pass, so it definitely seems like an opportunity for retraining. A good takeaway for next time is probably that you should always manually add your frequent flyer number on award bookings.
stevie0716 likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
My guess for what happened here is that your UA MileagePlus number was in the FQTR field, and lounge access depends on the status in the FQTV/FQTS field. The agent should have been able to manually match your mileageplus number with the boarding pass, so it definitely seems like an opportunity for retraining. A good takeaway for next time is probably that you should always manually add your frequent flyer number on award bookings.
I just checked my own 016 award booking on Lufthansa, and sure enough, my MP number was not listed there.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1k
I find it quite surprising how little the lounge attendants seem to know (or care) about access rules given that it's their full time job and the rules aren't really that complicated. In Boston they scan your boarding pass if it goes red, that's the end of the discussion. I twice rejected despite being on a paid United Polaris itinerary (must have been bug in their system). It took quite a bit of arguing to even engage in a discussion even when showing a Polaris boarding pass. This is especially annoying since apparently all it takes is to scan the boarding pass again.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chicitip
Yes neither the emailed BP or the BP in the L app shows status.
So, I thought, easy you're united, I'm with united you can just figure it out but no. I show the plat card in the United app and that's where the fun stuff started:

It not united money, it's lufthansa you're on so you need gold status with them. I simply said you gold is *a not individual airlines. And yes I have it.

Plus this is not Lufthansa money as I am on 016 ticket

They confirmed all that and still went on:

You know it's like buying in two different stores and so on

I said they look too busy and I don't want miss my flight and juat went to fill my water somewhere else

But yea, seems all kinds of stupid.
While it's a 016 ticket, there's a shared revenue arrangement with the TATL JV. Also, depends on the arrangement, the operating carrier (LH in this case) might pay UA for running the lounge for its customers.

Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
I find it quite surprising how little the lounge attendants seem to know (or care) about access rules given that it's their full time job and the rules aren't really that complicated. In Boston they scan your boarding pass if it goes red, that's the end of the discussion. I twice rejected despite being on a paid United Polaris itinerary (must have been bug in their system). It took quite a bit of arguing to even engage in a discussion even when showing a Polaris boarding pass. This is especially annoying since apparently all it takes is to scan the boarding pass again.
Disagree- admittance rules are complicated, since it's determined by cabin, program, status, club membership, and possibly club membership from other *A carriers.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
admittance rules are complicated, since it's determined by cabin, program, status, club membership, and possibly club membership from other *A carriers.
The rule here is very simple. UA *G departing on international *A flight is entitled to access. There's absolutely no excuse for staff not knowing that one by heart.

Other situations are more complex - I'm very happy to use the BP scan at PHX when entering based on AL+ membership, as the agents are generally unfamiliar with the nuances of that particular rule.
ani90 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rule here is very simple. UA *G departing on international *A flight is entitled to access. There's absolutely no excuse for staff not knowing that one .
The rule many agents tend to use is, if BP scan says no or no OTP, it's a no!. The use of a separate card on a UA itinerary is likely a once in blue moon occurrence for most agents
Artpen100 likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The rule many agents tend to use is, if BP scan says no or no OTP, it's a no!. The use of a separate card on a UA itinerary is likely a once in blue moon occurrence for most agents
at an outstation, maybe ... but at a hub? Had no issues at EWR after arriving in LH F to get access for my flight to BOS (separate ticket). Agent knew she needed to add these manually ... not a problem.
seanp7 likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rule here is very simple. UA *G departing on international *A flight is entitled to access. There's absolutely no excuse for staff not knowing that one
How would they know? Isnít it all automated by boarding pass?
Old May 13, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How would they know? Isnít it all automated by boarding pass?
Kind of? But if for some reason the BP isn't set up correctly (e.g., missing FQTV), I think it's reasonable that an agent should know to ask for scanning the *G card, and potentially even offer to update BP if relevant. That is my experience with other airlines, like LX. They don't just reply "computer says no; go away".
Kacee and TPACjv like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Kind of? But if for some reason the BP isn't set up correctly (e.g., missing FQTV), I think it's reasonable that an agent should know to ask for scanning the *G card, and potentially even offer to update BP if relevant. That is my experience with other airlines, like LX. They don't just reply "computer says no; go away".
I can only say what I've seen observing some very experienced agents (e.g. most of the agents I know well have been working for United or its predecessors (or its predecessors predecessors in at least one case) for between "nearly as long as" and "longer than" I have been breathing oxygen on the planet... Regardless of what *A rules may say the current training (and flow for the lounge access software) is that if scanning a boarding pass doesn't grant access a purchasing or presenting an OTP or membership is the next/only option.

I'm not sure if it has been fixed but for a while scanning a FQTV card barcode [or, indeed, nearly anything that wasn't a BP or OTP] would send the lounge software UA uses into "spinning globe of death" mode for a painfully long period of time before rejecting access (if the agent didn't give up and either kill/reopen the software or just reboot the entire PC first...that was a painful process to watch play out, especially when it happened multiple times in quick succession or you got someone who didn't listen to the "no, please don't scan that!" and insisted on scanning anyway... and then did it again). For UA PNRs it's relatively easy -- if a bit cumbersome -- for lounge agents to play FQTV hokey-pokey to get the frequent flyer account with lounge access on the PNR, print a BP, scan for access, put the original FQTV for earning back on the PNR, print a new BP and everyone is happy... though it can be a big bottleneck if there's a line of people waiting to get into the club...

The challenge becomes when it's not a UA PNR and UA can't print a BP, for example a AC-native PNR with no UA operated segments but touching airports with UA clubs. This is also important for UA revenue accounting because they get paid by the operating carrier for *G (and *A-operated J/F cabin) entries -- which I believe but have no evidence of require correlation of both the member ID and qualifying flight for UA to get reimbursed, and is handily all embodied in a 'correct' BP barcode. There are manual ways to do this and at least one agent at the club -- particularly for hubs -- should know how, but it seems to be discouraged/as a last resort
TPACjv likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I can only say what I've seen observing some very experienced agents (e.g. most of the agents I know well have been working for United or its predecessors (or its predecessors predecessors in at least one case) for between "nearly as long as" and "longer than" I have been breathing oxygen on the planet... Regardless of what *A rules may say the current training (and flow for the lounge access software) is that if scanning a boarding pass doesn't grant access a purchasing or presenting an OTP or membership is the next/only option.

I'm not sure if it has been fixed but for a while scanning a FQTV card barcode [or, indeed, nearly anything that wasn't a BP or OTP] would send the lounge software UA uses into "spinning globe of death" mode for a painfully long period of time before rejecting access (if the agent didn't give up and either kill/reopen the software or just reboot the entire PC first...that was a painful process to watch play out, especially when it happened multiple times in quick succession or you got someone who didn't listen to the "no, please don't scan that!" and insisted on scanning anyway... and then did it again). For UA PNRs it's relatively easy -- if a bit cumbersome -- for lounge agents to play FQTV hokey-pokey to get the frequent flyer account with lounge access on the PNR, print a BP, scan for access, put the original FQTV for earning back on the PNR, print a new BP and everyone is happy... though it can be a big bottleneck if there's a line of people waiting to get into the club...

The challenge becomes when it's not a UA PNR and UA can't print a BP, for example a AC-native PNR with no UA operated segments but touching airports with UA clubs. This is also important for UA revenue accounting because they get paid by the operating carrier for *G (and *A-operated J/F cabin) entries -- which I believe but have no evidence of require correlation of both the member ID and qualifying flight for UA to get reimbursed, and is handily all embodied in a 'correct' BP barcode. There are manual ways to do this and at least one agent at the club -- particularly for hubs -- should know how, but it seems to be discouraged/as a last resort
Lol. From the experiences I've had of seeing click / "um.." / click / "um.." / "um...." / click, tap / "um." / click, tap, tap / "alright!" at the UCs ó or even at other times, talk talk talk OK just go ahead (I have had this personally) ó I'm sympathetic that it's maybe not easy for agents to handle these corner cases. But that's still a UA failing, in that case letting down both the agent and the passenger. It is certainly possible to have a different paradigm.
Old May 13, 2023, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by fumje
They don't just reply "computer says no; go away".
You made laugh lol. Yes, it was exactly like the Little Britain show response, followed by space high logic later, supposedly to make me feel better, I guess.

On the other hand, totally agree with the other comments, you'd think at a hub, ORD no less, this would be a no brainer for them as far as club access, and the guidance to update BP would be the service one should expect. I'm gonna guess the FTN sync from UA sync LH is 100% unreliable.

This actually reminded me of another post
https://eturbonews.com/united-airlin...-to-lufthansa/
where attitudes described would make it likely to believe that LH doesn't like to see or blocks other *a FTNs. Sometimes systemic discrimination is best detected by the lowest links in the chain. Maybe a stretch but hey they started it lol, you're either in the alliance or you clowning around. Fix the damn thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.