Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has United killed for good their PSP-LAX direct flight?

Has United killed for good their PSP-LAX direct flight?

Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 95
Has United killed for good their PSP-LAX direct flight?

I'm unable to find any UA4761 (PSP-LAX) flights past the 1st of June. However, I'm also unable to find any official confirmation of this flight being discontinued.

Are these things officially communicated? Or should I assume that the lack of flights at this stage is a definite confirmation of this flight being discontinued?

Cheers!
Crastonts is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:57 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 9,478
Looks like it is a summer-seasonal suspension (low season). Comes back around the holidays through EOS.

UA is the only airline in the LAX-PSP market.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:25 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philadelphia & Palm Springs
Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold
Posts: 79
Years ago in the Brasilia days there were upwards of 10 a day year round. For the last number of years its a winter season/seasonal flight which suspends for the summer and fall
drgreg is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD / PHX
Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 1,360
So, 120 mile drive? I know LA traffic can be horrendous, but why would you fly this (esp given LAX traffic and security)?

I do fly ORD-IND occasionally but live in the north burbs - but thats 200+ miles.
irishguy28 likes this.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:12 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,145
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
So, 120 mile drive? I know LA traffic can be horrendous, but why would you fly this (esp given LAX traffic and security)?

I do fly ORD-IND occasionally but live in the north burbs - but that’s 200+ miles.
People from outside LA area actually do go to Palm Springs from outside LA area by connectong at LAX

Now they'll have to drive from LAX or Ontario or whatever. Unless they have access to a private plane...
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:20 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: EWR/SNA/SUN
Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Posts: 499
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
So, 120 mile drive? I know LA traffic can be horrendous, but why would you fly this (esp given LAX traffic and security)?

I do fly ORD-IND occasionally but live in the north burbs - but that’s 200+ miles.
FWIW, when I used to live in LA (santa monica), we would budget 3.5-4 hours from the beach to palm springs on a friday afternoon, or more if we were going further into the desert (palm desert or la quinta).
ezefllying likes this.
1200GS is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:11 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD / PHX
Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 1,360
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
People from outside LA area actually do go to Palm Springs from outside LA area by connectong at LAX

Now they'll have to drive from LAX or Ontario or whatever. Unless they have access to a private plane...
Yeah but you can fly from so many other spots (hubs) or transfer to PSP from those hubs if you live in a spoke. LAX transfer is not a must.
ijgordon likes this.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD / PHX
Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 1,360
LAX-PSP only slightly less ridiculous than ORD-MKE. Same thing essentially.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:42 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Posts: 2,518
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
So, 120 mile drive? I know LA traffic can be horrendous, but why would you fly this (esp given LAX traffic and security)?

I do fly ORD-IND occasionally but live in the north burbs - but thats 200+ miles.
I go to PSP once a year, and I would definitely connect and fly LAX-PSP rather than drive. I could also catch a lie-flat on EWR-LAX instead of recliners via IAH.
jamiel, N1120A, drgreg and 2 others like this.
hirohito888 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:46 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,754
Originally Posted by Crastonts
Are these things officially communicated?
No. Airlines dont tend to announce that theyre leaving a market. If you go solely by airline press releases, youll typically find that airlines fly ever-expanding networks.
jsloan is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:18 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,982
Originally Posted by drgreg
Years ago in the Brasilia days there were upwards of 10 a day year round. For the last number of years its a winter season/seasonal flight which suspends for the summer and fall
I miss those days.
rch4u, N1120A, drgreg and 1 others like this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Posts: 9,068
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I miss those days.
Maybe it comes back if that electric startup succeeds in actually bringing its planes to market that UA is contracted to buy. I do wonder if there is a long (and somewhat off-topic) story that would explain the reason behind the economics of why airlines stopped flying these birds and/or why manufacturers seem to be moving steadily away from making smaller planes. As an example, I can't think of what is going to replace the CRJ2s and the E145s when retirement comes around...both of those birds are not very young at this point.
MatthewLAX likes this.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:00 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Maybe it comes back if that electric startup succeeds in actually bringing its planes to market that UA is contracted to buy. I do wonder if there is a long (and somewhat off-topic) story that would explain the reason behind the economics of why airlines stopped flying these birds and/or why manufacturers seem to be moving steadily away from making smaller planes. As an example, I can't think of what is going to replace the CRJ2s and the E145s when retirement comes around...both of those birds are not very young at this point.
If that electric plane startup ends up working out, I could see a lot of shorter routes increasing in frequency, given that electricity is effectively free when compared to aviation fuel. I think a lot of the reason that smaller planes are falling out of popularity is increasing fuel costs, increasing employee costs, increases in urban centralization and decreases in small city populations, etc...
SPN Lifer likes this.
angetenar is online now  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
LAX-PSP only slightly less ridiculous than ORD-MKE. Same thing essentially.
Maybe a month or two ago, there was some weather at ORD that caused a plane to divert to MKE. It then took off, had a couple missed approaches and diverted right back to MKE. I suspect a bus or some Amtrak tickets may have been a much more efficacious way of getting to the Chicago area that night.
chessman is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:07 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,982
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
LAX-PSP only slightly less ridiculous than ORD-MKE. Same thing essentially.
Depends on where you need to be near LAX or PSP, right?
N1120A likes this.
MatthewLAX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.