Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United FA makes pregnant mom clean up popcorn mess, your thoughts?

Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

This is circulating on Twitter…
Anthony Bass, a pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays, tweeted the following as shown below.
He claims a United flight attendant made his 22 week pregnant wife clean up a significant popcorn mess made by her two children (a 5 and a 2-year old) on a recent United flight.
While I certainly understand accidents and messes occur, this mess look particularly egregious and was caused by two problematic young passengers in particular. As a flyer who is on a United flight several times each week, I consider each and every United employee and contracted employee (in this case, the cleaning crew) as a family member. Therefore, I am naturally going to side with United, because not only did this mess eventually need to be cleaned up, but other passengers nearby would step on the popcorn, exacerbating and expanding the mess a 1000% fold, with more popcorn particle debris, up and down the aisle.

I completely feel for the flight attendant….Many United flight attendants strive for a clean cabin environment and will pick up napkins, cups, etc strewn on the aisle. On Delta, I’ve seem them step over them, ignore trash in the aisles, or just pretend they don’t see trash. This particular instance deserved immediate attention and I applaud the United flight attendant for making the offending passenger(s) assist with the clean up effort.

Last edited by unitedbusiness; Apr 17, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
He claims a United flight attendant made his 22 week pregnant wife clean up a significant popcorn mess made by her two children (a 5 and a 2-year old) on a recent United flight.
DYKWIA?

If you want a nanny, hire one. Expecting the flight attendant to clean up after your kids is beyond the pale.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:30 pm

Airlines are not perfect, but Im relieved to see the baseball player being raked over the coals for this entitlement, especially by so many parents who would clean up after their own children. You either have your kids eat something that doesnt make a mess or clean up after them.

Im not sure the overwhelming feedback against him will change his attitude that others are there to clean up after his family. He seems pretty entrenched in this belief.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This should have not come down to the FA asking the passenger to clean up the mess - you make a mess - take some personal responsibility and clean it up as best you can.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Apr 17, 2023 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy on a million $ salary lets his pregnant wife & 2 kids fly coach .......
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Guy on a million $ salary lets his pregnant wife & 2 kids fly coach .......
$3MM, actually. ( https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...bassan01.shtml ).

The thing is, it shouldn't matter. Basic decency shouldn't depend upon your income level.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Honestly what's pathetic here is that they had to wait for someone to tell them to clean up the mess. That's pretty despicable behaviour in my book, assuming there are no other extenuating factors at play.

I just checked and he's tweeted that United is addressing the issue with the flight attendant. That is really unfortunate. And sadly, it's only because he's apparently well known (never heard of him until today myself). And this is how the entitlement sets in and continues.
jsloan, MRM, KRSW and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What does "made [her]" mean? Asked them to? Wouldn't let them off the plane if they didn't?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've seen various tweets in my feed showing massive messes on planes such as this one by Sourdeath Sam: UNREAL!! This
@united flight attendant just made me crawl on all fours and squeal like a hog on this plane because I was "acting like a little piggy"?? Made me clean all of this up with a TUMMY ACHE

UA liked the tweet
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:10 pm

Bass claims UAL served his daughters the popcorn. Im unaware of any snack pack that has popcorn esp of that amount on floor.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by mduell
What does "made [her]" mean? Asked them to? Wouldn't let them off the plane if they didn't?

That was my question too.

Putting the personal responsibility aspect aside for the moment, does United have a policy for leaving your space/seat clean before deplaning?
Or more precisely, at what point would an FA step in and say something? What is United's policy with how to dispose of a used sick-bag for instance?
There must be some guideline?
Rotweiler76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This should have not come down to the FA asking the passenger to clean up the mess - you make a mess - take some personal responsibility and clean it up as best you can.
This was my thought. Was surprised that someone wouldnt just naturally clean it up, as best they could.
tai4de2, BigFishDave and donna538 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by cv11nyc
Bass claims UAL served his daughters the popcorn. Im unaware of any snack pack that has popcorn esp of that amount on floor.
the Recline box has the lesser evil popcorn
but thats no excuse if its popcorn they brought on board themselves, or not.
jsloan and TXJeepGuy like this.

Last edited by unitedbusiness; Apr 17, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:27 pm

Looks like they forgot to purchase the $100 ancillary product where the flight attendant becomes your maid to pick up after your kids.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Looks like they forgot to purchase the $100 ancillary product where the flight attendant becomes your maid to pick up after your kids.
Thats an option?
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.