Emergency Assistance Plus - UA offer

Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Emergency Assistance Plus - UA offer

Has anyone had any experience with this UA-sponsored offer? This (as opposed to traditional travel insurance) is medical support including evacuation coverage, if necessary.

My wife & I have an overseas trip planned in the next few weeks, our first trip since medical treatment she recently completed. I was thinking about getting evacuation coverage in case there are complications, and putting aside the high likelihood that UA sold my name to this company (or has some other financial arrangement) in spite of my saying no to partner offers, I'm willing to consider it vs other options. The 1,400 RDMs is a rounding error for me, so not much incentive in itself.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Apr 10, 2023 at 8:19 am Reason: spell check
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Has anyone had any experience with this UA-sponsored offer? This (as opposed to traditional travel insurance) is medical support including evacuation coverage, if necessary.

My wife & I have an overseas trip planned in the next few weeks, our first trip since medical treatment she recently completed. I was thinking about getting evacuation coverage in care there are complications, and putting aside the high likelihood that UA sold my name to this company (or has some other financial arrangement) in spite of my saying no to partner offers, I'm willing to consider it vs other options. The 1,400 RDMs is a rounding error for me, so not much incentive in itself.

Any feedback appreciated.
First, check to see if the charge card you used may already have some coverage built in.

Second, its not that its bad insurance, but the marketed ones via UA seem to be kind of high priced. Just do a search and find the best value that works for you. Specifically, compare the coverage you are offered in hand with some of the other names in insurance.

Also, here are threads on the old insurance programs that were marketed by UA:

Travel Guard (AIG) travel insurance offers via UA -- experiences, Q&As, ....
Experience / Questions with United's Trip Insurance (Allianz)
tarheelnj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by tarheelnj

My wife & I have an overseas trip planned in the next few weeks, our first trip since medical treatment she recently completed. I was thinking about getting evacuation coverage in case there are complications, and putting aside the high likelihood that UA sold my name to this company (or has some other financial arrangement) in spite of my saying no to partner offers, I'm willing to consider it vs other options. The 1,400 RDMs is a rounding error for me, so not much incentive in itself.
Make sure it covers pre-existing conditions.
mnhusker, lhrsfo and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I prefer travel insurance that provides primary coverage for medical/travel issues (including evacuation). Very few credit cards offer primary coverage--except for car rental coverage.

I shop around at http://www.insuremytrip.com

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This. Most policies only provide a pre-existing condition waiver within 14-21 days of first purchasing anything related to your trip.
tarheelnj, VRFast and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I prefer travel insurance that provides primary coverage for medical/travel issues (including evacuation). Very few credit cards offer primary coverage--except for car rental coverage.

I shop around at http://www.insuremytrip.com

This. Most policies only provide a pre-existing condition waiver within 14-21 days of first purchasing anything related to your trip.
Great advice. Considering what it's potentially needed for, ease of use and no coordinating with other insurance would be key. The offer I received lists potential benefits but they seem to be at the company's discretion.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Also talk to your insurance agent.

He/she maybe able to provide insight as to available coverage either via your current insurance company, or through companies that he/she knows are reliable and provide the coverage your wife especially needs with her recent medical experiences.

All the best.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This

Pre-existing condition exclusion, which is very standard, would almost certainty exclude complications from recent treatments.
And the bar for true medical evacuation is quiet high, IME.

Here is one travel insurers' FAQ on pre-existing conditions

I second the suggestion to shop around and if you are considering more travel, look at an annual poicy, they seem less restrictive.

Multiple discussions on travel insurance in TravelBuzz
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 10, 2023 at 11:25 am Reason: TravelBuzz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.