Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

united airline CSR asking for account password to book award tickets

Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I have not done united for ages and this morning tried to ask a CSR to book an award ticket and he asked me to give him my passord. Is that normal? When I asked why he needs the password he hung up on me. I called
1 (800) 864-8331.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yoyo
I have not done united for ages and this morning tried to ask a CSR to book an award ticket and he asked me to give him my passord. Is that normal? When I asked why he needs the password he hung up on me. I called
1 (800) 864-8331.
Nope.
Agent does ask ask the questions for verifying your identity such as "what is your favorite winter sport activity?" "what subject did you like in high school?" "what kind of vacation do you take?" or "what kind of movie do you watch?" They typically ask you two such questions unless you give a wrong answer.
Of course, they ask you for your date of birth and your name before asking two questions related to your identify.
The phone number is correct. 1-800-United-1 if you translate to letters from some of the numbers.

You can easily book award travel yourself by logging on your account on web or App. There is no need to call United and pay for booking fees.
Auto Enthusiast and mary mary like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Years ago a common scam was to have a number that was one-off of a reputable customer service number, for example 1 (800) 664-8331 instead of 1 (800) 864-8331. Then, you would get a scammer asking for things like passwords. Maybe something like that happened?

Definitely not normal. Glad you did not provide it.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by yoyo
1 (800) 864-8331.
no it is not normal.

I would go to your MP account, check recent transactions, change your password, make sure no one has changed your address, phone number, email, phone, etc. Also, if you share your PW with other accounts (don't do that!), change those too.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 11:17 am

To book award travel by phone you must answer security questions
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Years ago a common scam was to have a number that was one-off of a reputable customer service number, for example 1 (800) 664-8331 instead of 1 (800) 864-8331. Then, you would get a scammer asking for things like passwords. Maybe something like that happened?

Yes, sounds like a miss dial, checking you phone history would confirm number dialed. UA agents will never ask for password, that is what the security questions are about. And the agents can not see the correct answers, they plug into the system the answer you provide and the system tells the agent if the answer was correct.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IMissThe747

800 vs 877 etc. is another one to watch out for. I have mis-dialed like that before, not with UA specifically, and luckily the wrong number was a wildly different company than the one I was trying to reach so the mistake was obvious, but...

It's still relatively recent as a scam too, there have been some FT threads along those lines where someone Googled for a CS number and used the first result which was sponsored or SEO-hijacked by a scammer and paid a lot in "fees" to a third party for something they could have done without extra fees directly with the company.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trk1
To book award travel by phone you must answer security questions
Yep, but not provide your password. No one should ever request your password, and anyone who does immediately raises red flags as being a phisher.
SPN Lifer and threecap like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I don't want to add fuel to the flames but I have had a couple of calls to United where I heard the prompts not sounding correct, like off by one or two words. I've hung up and tried again, usually no issues afterwards.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I guess it is possible that I misdialed. I was calling united because the system kept on throwing an error when adding to the cart. Anyway on the second call the CSR was able to book it for me and yes he did ask me the security questions but no password.
jsloan, AirbusFan2B and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.