Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does a cheaper O fare give more PQP than P?

Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:49 am
MMU
Original Poster

I thought PQP is directly tied to the price of the ticket. But this O fare ticket gives more PQP than its price. Is there a bonus in it?

O fare gives more PQP and more miles than P
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:54 am

The price is for the round trip while the PQP displayed is for the segment(s) shown I believe.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
I believe the price is a round trip ticket that's why it says "from" and could be more based on the fare for the second leg. The PQP shown is for the current leg (it says each way on the left).
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:56 am
MMU
Original Poster

Exactly, the PQP is per leg. so 2 x 3290 = 6580 > $4195. Check the PQP and the price for the P fare.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by MMU
Exactly, the PQP is per leg. so 2 x 3290 = 6580 > $4195. Check the PQP and the price for the P fare.
The return leg may have different pricing than the outbound (and thus different PQP).
jcturnbull and jsloan like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
The Premium Plus fare probably assumes the return flight is regular economy and the business fare assumes Polaris in both directions. You can compare the two trips at the end during checkout.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:02 am
MMU
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shaetan
The return leg may have different pricing than the outbound (and thus different PQP).
It's possible, but that gives the return leg worth $800. less than half of the one way economy ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MMU
It's possible, but that gives the return leg worth $800. less than half of the one way economy ticket.
You have to check what that fare for the second leg is, it could be a lower fare class depending on fare bucket availability. Often, the egress and ingress fares aren't the same.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
PQP = basic fare plus surcharge; nothing more or less if you are on 016 ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MMU
I thought PQP is directly tied to the price of the ticket. But this O fare ticket gives more PQP than its price. Is there a bonus in it?

O fare gives more PQP and more miles than P
I would be interesting to see the fare & taxes itemization later in the booking process (for both roundtrips)
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
The Premium Plus fare probably assumes the return flight is regular economy and the business fare assumes Polaris in both directions. You can compare the two trips at the end during checkout.
No it should be pricing assumes the premium economy still, but my guess is the return fare component is an R fare instead of an O fare (R fare of ~1000 when O is 3290 seems about right for deep discount PE), whereas the return for the Polaris ticket is almost certainly a P fare (2796 * 2 ~ 5600, leaving ~200 in some odd taxes to get the fare shown).

O is essentially the PE equivalent of a Y or J fare ("full fare" premium economy), and I would absolutely expect an "O" fare to be filed at more than a "P" fare.

So while $ O+R < $ P+P (which is what the pricing is showing); $ O > $ P would be the case for the fare components and therefore explain why the PQPs are showing more in that display.
hhdl, jcturnbull, jsloan and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
No it should be pricing assumes the premium economy still, but my guess is the return fare component is an R fare instead of an O fare (R fare of ~1000 when O is 3290 seems about right for deep discount PE), whereas the return for the Polaris ticket is almost certainly a P fare (2796 * 2 ~ 5600, leaving ~200 in some odd taxes to get the fare shown).

O is essentially the PE equivalent of a Y or J fare ("full fare" premium economy), and I would absolutely expect an "O" fare to be filed at more than a "P" fare.

So while $ O+R < $ P+P (which is what the pricing is showing); $ O > $ P would be the case for the fare components and therefore explain why the PQPs are showing more in that display.
I understand O fares can cost more than P fares. But I'm kind of surprised an R fare would be that cheap for TPE-SFO. Or course we have no idea what the return flight is so we could be totally off here. And based on what's displayed, it looks like a multi-city search. (the desktop United site doesn't show "Trip 1" and the "From" price in round trip searches but does for multi-city searches.)

The taxes and fees for a SFO-TPE round trip is about $86. So if a round trip ticket is $4,195 and the first leg earns 3,290 PQP, that leaves the 2nd leg to earn 819 PQP which is insanely cheap for an R fare. (For reference, that Q fare shown for the first leg is earning 1,095 PQP). Searching for R fares at different dates for TPE-SFO shows the PQP is around 1500. But again, we don't know what the other flight is, it could be a route that doesn't even have United Premium Economy.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:28 pm
MMU
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanations. My multi-city search was SFO-TPE-HND/NRT-SFO.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MMU
Thanks for the explanations. My multi-city search was SFO-TPE-HND/NRT-SFO.
On a multi-city search like that, both the prices and the PQP numbers are estimates at best on the first page. Theyre computing hundreds of possibilities for flight combinations and they dont always come up with choices that make sense. And later choices can impact the fare that youre eligible for and is showing on the first page.

Basically, theres no trick here; the numbers will make sense when you get to the end of the flight selection, and assuming that all flights are PQP-eligible, paying more money (after taxes) will always result in more PQPs.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.