Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Auckland (SFO<>AKL) Service Reduction 2023Q2/3, options

Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

I have a trip to NZ this summer. United is no longer selling the SFO-AKL//AKL-SFO flights that Iím on on the dates Iím booked. Additionally, the flights arenít listed on United Cargo.

My sense is there has been a schedule change; however, United has yet to inform me of the change. The seat change function on the app and on the website still works. The itinerary still shows up normally on the app and website.

Assuming there is a change, would United route me via SYD? I already have confirmed PP upgrades on SFO-AKL//AKL-SFO.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
I have a trip to NZ this summer. United is no longer selling the SFO-AKL//AKL-SFO flights that I’m on on the dates I’m booked. Additionally, the flights aren’t listed on United Cargo.
the SFO-AKL is switching to T,Th,Sa on 25 March, as the Winter season of NZ approaches.
It goes back to daily 1 July 2023.

As it handles any of those impact by the change, UA may zero inventory of a short while.

Assuming there is a change, would United route me via SYD? I already have confirmed PP upgrades on SFO-AKL//AKL-SFO.
UA will probably prefer to change dates if you are on a schedule change impacted flight.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the SFO-AKL is switching to T,Th,Sa on 25 March, as the Winter season of NZ approaches.
It goes back to daily 1 July 2023.

As it handles any of those impact by the change, UA may zero inventory of a short while.

UA will probably prefer to change dates if you are on a schedule change impacted flight.
The AKL-SFO on 9 July does not appear to be on the schedule anymore.

Not a fan of having to take the same flight the next day, as it would cut into a new work week.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The AKL-SFO on 9 July does not appear to be on the schedule anymore. ...
AKL-SFO is still showing operating / scheduled on T,W,F,Su -- 9 July is Sunday
Inventory is zero'ed out but the flight has not been cancelled (yet) -- so it will not show up as a flight search
This could be because of rescheduling others or the flight is under consideration for cancelling but has not been cancelled.

You will be in a limbo until UA makes a decision.

If service is cancelled for all days, then rerouting thru SYD is the likely or rerouting on NZ may become an option.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
AKL-SFO is still showing operating / scheduled on T,W,F,Su -- 9 July is Sunday
Inventory is zero'ed out but the flight has not been cancelled (yet) -- so it will not show up as a flight search
This could be because of rescheduling others or the flight is under consideration for cancelling but has not been cancelled.

You will be in a limbo until UA makes a decision.

If service is cancelled for all days, then rerouting thru SYD is the likely or rerouting on NZ may become an option.
If rerouting on NZ for the long flights, Iíd lose my confirmed Upgrades, right?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:54 pm

If rerouting on NZ for the long flights, I’d lose my confirmed Upgrades, right?
Most Likely

In the past on a sudden dropping of SFO-AKL, UA made arrangements with NZ to take the traffic, don't remember what happened to upgrades.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2023 at 11:39 pm
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Booked flight (AKL-SFO in October) no longer showing for sale

Moderators: please move if there is a thread for this...thanks.

We are booked on UA 916, AKL-SFO on October 25 (one P, one IN). When I look at our itineraries online, everything looks fine - no noted schedule changes. But when I try to book this routing for October 25 now, that flight is not offered. And when I look at it on Expertflyer, it is zeroed out. The 23rd and 26th show J9 C9 etc., but the 24th and 25th are all zeros. Does this look like possible reduced frequency? I haven't tried calling yet, but want to be prepared when I do. Can I assume it shouldn't be a problem to move our reservations to the 26th if there is no flight on the 25? Or do I need to wait until our itinerary shows a schedule change? TIA.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ms_go
Can I assume it shouldn't be a problem to move our reservations to the 26th if there is no flight on the 25?
It would be a bad assumption.

Or do I need to wait until our itinerary shows a schedule change? TIA.
This. You will not be able to move your flights until / unless a schedule change appears. Zeroing out inventory does not necessarily mean that a flight is being canceled ó it may be full, or (more likely) it may be in the process of being considered for cancellation ó but sometimes they get restored. Or maybe the 25th is zeroed while they move the passengers from the 24th.

Anyway, watch your reservation, and then call if there is a problem.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Moderators: please move if there is a thread for this...thanks.

We are booked on UA 916, AKL-SFO on October 25 (one P, one IN). When I look at our itineraries online, everything looks fine - no noted schedule changes. But when I try to book this routing for October 25 now, that flight is not offered. And when I look at it on Expertflyer, it is zeroed out. The 23rd and 26th show J9 C9 etc., but the 24th and 25th are all zeros. Does this look like possible reduced frequency? I haven't tried calling yet, but want to be prepared when I do. Can I assume it shouldn't be a problem to move our reservations to the 26th if there is no flight on the 25? Or do I need to wait until our itinerary shows a schedule change? TIA.
Thereís something up with Unitedís schedule to AKL. After posting about my issue, with flights Iíve booked at the end of June/beginning of July not showing up anymore on the schedule, I found a news article saying that Patrick Quayle recently traveled to Auckland to sit down with Air NZ leadership. Methinks there may be an announcement in the next few days.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...DH2OHHGHEEB3E/
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It would be a bad assumption. This. You will not be able to move your flights until / unless a schedule change appears. Zeroing out inventory does not necessarily mean that a flight is being canceled ó it may be full, or (more likely) it may be in the process of being considered for cancellation ó but sometimes they get restored. Or maybe the 25th is zeroed while they move the passengers from the 24th.

Anyway, watch your reservation, and then call if there is a problem.
Thanks. I figured...no noted schedule changes yet, but I'm watching the reservations carefully.

Thereís something up with Unitedís schedule to AKL. After posting about my issue, with flights Iíve booked at the end of June/beginning of July not showing up anymore on the schedule, I found a news article saying that Patrick Quayle recently traveled to Auckland to sit down with Air NZ leadership. Methinks there may be an announcement in the next few days.

Thank you. I hadn't seen your post but have now read through it. Will wait to see what happens. In our case, we don't mind an extra day if that's how it works out.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

SFO-AKL is on the schedule till EOS
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Which schedule? United appears to be in the process of reducing frequencies on the route from daily to three times a week.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Which schedule? United appears to be in the process of reducing frequencies on the route from daily to three times a week.
Yes there is a reduction in the schedule to AKL taking place from June to end of October related to available aircraft to operate the route. Believe they are in the process of rebooking/contacting passengers in the coming days. I believe there is also going to be a protection agreement put in place with NZ (though nothing appears on Jetstream yet, but I assume will be added there once all the details are worked out: https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...T00000Cbxq6UAB )
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes there is a reduction in the schedule to AKL taking place from June to end of October related to available aircraft to operate the route. Believe they are in the process of rebooking/contacting passengers in the coming days. I believe there is also going to be a protection agreement put in place with NZ (though nothing appears on Jetstream yet, but I assume will be added there once all the details are worked out: https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...T00000Cbxq6UAB )
This affects our AKL-SFO reservations also. I've been watching for the schedule change, and it looks like it just posted sometime in the past few hours. The proposed change is to move us to the UA flight the following day. I haven't yet looked at what the other alternatives may be, but we're likely to go with that to have an extra day of vacation.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:50 pm

This affects our AKL-SFO reservations also. I've been watching for the schedule change, and it looks like it just posted sometime in the past few hours. The proposed change is to move us to the UA flight the following day. I haven't yet looked at what the other alternatives may be, but we're likely to go with that to have an extra day of vacation.
Yes I believe the default rebooking option that the system is doing automatically is adjusting people to one of the 3 weekly flights, but looks like they have the protection agreement posed which appears to be pretty flexible/robust giving options to route on NZ via other US departure points, or even to be rebooked via Australia (on UA) and then connected to NZ from there. So if you don't like the option you gave you, there should be some alternative options to explore (depending on fare availability).

IAH-OIL-TRASH and uanj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.