Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United business class dirty cheap headphones! Seriously?

Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Flying from DEN to LHR and also from LHR to SFO in business class. Both ways had non noise cancelling headphones, only cheap crappy dirty headphones rewrapped in plastic packaging designed to make you feel they are premium. I couldn't use my own due to their offset sized dual prongs.

Food was just a slight notch above economy and the Polaris seats had small crumbs all over inside the side panels.

Mannn what a cheap offering. Hope to never fly United again. I only took it to gain star alliance points, but it's so not worth it.

Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Headset looks "well used" but dirty?

Originally Posted by superbobbay
... I couldn't use my own due to their offset sized dual prongs.
Single plus headsets work fine, the second prong is for power to the UA headsets
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:08 am

I couldn't use my own due to their offset sized dual prongs.
I do find it endlessly infuriating that it's 2023 and most airlines - even the ones with pretty new & advanced IFE systems - do not offer Bluetooth wireless connectivity for your personal headphones. Why? Having to plug in with a wire is so annoying and awkward and the quality is often poor due to static and buzzing sounds.

I'm pleased to see that Emirates now finally does offer this on its newest refurbished A380s, but when is the rest of the industry going to catch up?
denver19, chavala and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Reason077
I do find it endlessly infuriating that it's 2023 and most airlines - even the ones with pretty new & advanced IFE systems - do not offer Bluetooth wireless connectivity for your personal headphones. Why? Having to plug in with a wire is so annoying and awkward and the quality is often poor due to static and buzzing sounds.

I'm pleased to see that Emirates now finally does offer this on its newest refurbished A380s, but when is the rest of the industry going to catch up?

FYI: UA has been adding this. I know its standard on the new 737 deliveries. I am not sure if refits are getting them.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: *
Both ways had non noise cancelling headphones, only cheap crappy dirty headphones rewrapped in plastic packaging designed to make you feel they are premium.
What exactly do you expect in terms of an airline supplied headphone? Do the other star alliance airlines you use have non rewrapped headphones? I rarely use the airline headphones so trying to understand how this is any different from headphones I see in other airlines. At least aesthetically though I must say there are several more crappy and very plasticky looking J headphones I have seen in my travels...
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Reason077

I got excited last time I flew United (Dec) from LHR-SFO as there were references to how to use Bluetooth it in IFE system, but following the instructions given sent you to go find a non-existent setting option.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by AndyBay
I got excited last time I flew United (Dec) from LHR-SFO as there were references to how to use Bluetooth it in IFE system, but following the instructions given sent you to go find a non-existent setting option.
That feature is only available on their 737MAX planes. You won't find it on any widebodies at the moment.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I couldn't use my own due to their offset sized dual prongs.
All you had to do is plug yours in and they'd have worked just like all those others who were using their own.
mapleg likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by ani90
What exactly do you expect in terms of an airline supplied headphone? Do the other star alliance airlines you use have non rewrapped headphones? I rarely use the airline headphones so trying to understand how this is any different from headphones I see in other airlines. At least aesthetically though I must say there are several more crappy and very plasticky looking J headphones I have seen in my travels...
They stopped doing it, but once upon a time AA gave out Bose headphones. I tried it for a bit, they were nice. Good while it lasted, I guess, but point is that nice headphones aren't unprecedented.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-dro...se-headphones/
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I carry 2 pairs now.... wired bose and bluetooth bose to make sure I am covered.
chavala, jpezaris and Imstevek like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2023 at 2:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
They stopped doing it, but once upon a time AA gave out Bose headphones. I tried it for a bit, they were nice. Good while it lasted, I guess, but point is that nice headphones aren't unprecedented.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-dro...se-headphones/
Yes, and now they hand out B&O headphones. However, AA also collect the headphone up to an hour prior to the flight.
EWR764 likes this.

Also LH gives out Bose headphones IIRC. Been a while so not sure if they still do, but I know they did.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Yes, and now they hand out B&O headphones. However, AA also collect the headphone up to an hour prior to the flight.
Yeah the pickup is understandable, they're not cheap at scale. But the OPs point I do agree with, if you're paying 5-10K for a seat, headphones that don't seem like they're pulled from the discount bin isn't unreasonable for long haul flights.
superbobbay and Flyhigh123 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:42 pm

Did the OP ask for and receive a replacement set of headphones? Any large-scale operation requires methods for correction. Twice I've had to request replacement headphones on Polaris flights due to broken connectors, but they aren't a problem to procure from the cabin crew. Personally, I prefer using them, and find them more than adequate despite not being the very best one can purchase, as it saves me from carrying a bit of kit around that will undoubtedly get lost.

If the OP didn't take a basic action like requesting a new pair, then why complain here, rather than to UA customer service?
ani90 and gaobest like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
The Bluetooth rarely works for me when it’s available on the 737s that r equipped with it.
drgreg likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.