Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New: A "CEO" of MileagePlus, Richard Nunn, (ex-Comcast)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://onemileatatime.com/news/unit...eplus-new-ceo/

To bring all of the customer service innovations people love from the cable industry to United?

To help United sell personal data? United Privacy Policy.
higher_flyer, becks1, CREN and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Ari; Mar 26, 2023 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
From Comcast... and demoting the current President of MP... what can possibly go wrong.
aquanine, 1200GS, CREN and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think lack of airline experience (new CEO) suggests Mr. Bondar’s role will cover what we think of MP as - a benefits program. The new CEO’s main focus will be on monetizing UA’s database of customers - tie-ins with other companies etc. I’m not sure lack of airline experience is necessarily a negative if the roles are divided that way.
ContinentalFan and becks1 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 26, 2023 at 5:33 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Probably means more useless ads on the TV screens after the safety demo.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
From Comcast... and demoting the current President of MP... what can possibly go wrong.
OMAAT gets it right:

While I like the idea of bringing in someone from outside, I find it very odd that the airline chose someone who has no experience with airlines and no experience with loyalty programs. Furthermore, Comcast isn’t exactly a company known for stellar customer service and customer experience (unless something has recently changed).
Comcast/Xfinity’s customer service still sucks. this doesn’t look good for UA customers.
aquanine, denver19, 22H and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I can’t think that the UA hotline is something that will be materially under his remit, unless it means every phone agent has to pitch me a credit card before I hang up.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:37 pm Reason: Removed quote of and response to deleted post
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think lack of airline experience (new CEO) suggests Mr. Bondar’s role will cover what we think of MP as - a benefits program. The new CEO’s main focus will be on monetizing UA’s database of customers - tie-ins with other companies etc. I’m not sure lack of airline experience is necessarily a negative if the roles are divided that way.
Agreed.

Could United be thinking of spinning MP out as a separate company?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Agreed.

Could United be thinking of spinning MP out as a separate company?
We all saw how poorly that went for Air Canada and Aeroplan.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Comcast, what?

MP will become a subsidiary of Comcast according to this thread. But I will have a hard time to believe that this will be true. But I could predict that some high-rank officials will depart MP in the next few months.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:36 pm Reason: Removed quotes of deleted posts
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
if you want to read up on Comcast’s reputation, see [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Comcast

That said, Richard Nunn has been with Comcast only since 2018. And he didn’t seem to be exactly in charge of running their customer service. So I wouldn’t necessarily draw any conclusions about what this appointment means for MileagePlus.

Still, complete lack of airline/loyalty experience makes this an odd choice for CEO of MP. I noticed on his LinkedIn profile that he once was an accountant in the early 90s, so he checks the bean counter checkbox.
Kmxu and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:35 pm Reason: Removed quote of and comment on deleted post
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:41 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: I removed a few comments regarding Comcast customer service. Personal feelings and experiences with Comcast and if you loved or disliked the company aren’t relevant to this thread. The new CEO’s experience and what he may or may not bring to MileagePlus based on that are more on topic here.
Nikongirl likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Where have I heard this before?? Oh yeah I remember
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I knew MP was a money maker, but this tidbit in the linked article succintly states why it is so important. Of course, UA can't just go direct 100% of their investment $ into MP (because it IS an airline), but I'm sure UA's decided spending 5 cents more on MP gets them more than another carrot in a salad. Confirms my suspicion that Nunn will focus more on MP revenue and Bondar will head the MP nuts and bolts benefits we think of.

"Airline loyalty programs are also highly profitable. A study by Frankie O'Connell, a professor of air transport management at the University of Surrey in England, has found the return on invested capital from these programs for American, United and Delta is more than 60%, far higher than a 5% return on their overall business."

U.S. airline loyalty programs can provide buffer from possible recession (yahoo.com)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2023 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
While UA was the first of the airlines during COVID to creatively leverage its FF program, I think the disclosures from that and the subsequent similar transactions from other carriers showed that United still has a fair amount value to unlock from that business unit, as compared specifically to AA and DL. This is no doubt a move to continue to build out MP as a business capable of generating better returns than the airline unit.

While devaluations are a fact of life in this space, I don't think this move necessarily portends reduction in FF benefits or further devaluation as a direct result of his hiring.
SPN Lifer, hhdl and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Better get my lifetime Gold ASAP, this only ends with customer despair. Failing upward.
CREN, gmt4 and denver19 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.