Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing suggestions - BNA to BGO Business Class

Old Mar 18, 23, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest

Looking at taking a Northern Lights cruise out of Bergen, Norway in late November. Always a struggle getting decent prices out of Nashville and I have had bad luck with the small jets so prefer a bigger one (ie no puddle jumpers). And Bergen is also not a hub city. Want to fly United Polaris, haven't heard great things about the crew on Lufthansa and even though a 747 would be fun, the foot well with the little barrier seems kind of weird. I am flying solo. One review on SAS was actually surprisingly good but with them being in Brankruptcy, I am hesitant.

Have found what I think is decent - although FareLock is not available so will have to hope the fare is available as well. Just the FRA - BGO flights are Lufthansa.

BNA - IAD
IAD - FRA
FRA - BGO

and on the return
BGO-FRA
FRA - EWR
EWR - BNA

I usually fly to a gateway city - EWR or ORD to get a better price but this one ($3600) is affordable. If this fare isn't available later in the week - any other suggestions? The Northern Lights are on my bucket list and I am not getting any younger. THANKS!

Also, Google Flights has two options. Both with the same routing and times but one is on Lufthansa 747 and the other United metal 777. On United they show 777 - but could it change???? I know, who knows?

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Mar 18, 23 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 23, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fares start at around $3446 roundtrip with 7 day minimum stay. These are PNX67ENC fares which require Tue-Thu outbound at Mon-Thu return flights. So you can get slightly cheaper fare by adjusting outbound or return date (looks like you have a PNW67ENC fare in one direction which is $200 more than PNX67ENC fares) as long as you maintain 7 day minimum stay. Absent new fare filings, there aren't any cheaper fares on route and it sounds like a reasonable deal.
artvandalay and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Mar 18, 23, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for confirming it seemed like a good price. I paid the same amount last year to fly from ORD - ZRH. And only flying from BNA - FRA is also $3600. The ship (it's a mail ship) leaves on a Wednesday. I think flying on the Tuesday to arrive on Wednesday is just cutting it a bit too close. Again, very much appreciate your help.
Old Mar 18, 23, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA
The Lufthansa foot well is a bit odd if you're flying solo but I wouldn't say that's a reason to disqualify a trip on a 747, especially upper level if you haven't done it before.
Old Mar 18, 23, 3:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
FWIW, I had an excellent crew in J on LH between MUC and EWR last year, coming from ATH. This was on an A350. Food was good but not as good as on my outbound via VIE on OS.
Old Mar 18, 23, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Silver, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Eh, I wouldn't hesitate booking SAS. Just flew on SAS to Europe for $500 (roundtrip) ex-ORD - PE ticket, also got upgraded to J for only $300 more. If you need to get to the Nordics, or even Europe at large, SAS is convenient, and goes without saying better than UA Got a few more trips later this year with similar fares ($500 out of ORD and $400 out of EWR) purchased during a sale earlier this year. Outsized PQP (2.4x for $500 I paid) is just the cherry on top.
Old Mar 18, 23, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't hesitate booking SAS. Just flew on SAS to Europe for $500 (roundtrip) ex-ORD - PE ticket, also got upgraded to J for only $300 more. If you need to get to the Nordics, or even Europe at large, SAS is convenient, and goes without saying better than UA Got a few more trips later this year with similar fares ($500 out of ORD and $400 out of EWR) purchased during a sale earlier this year. Outsized PQP (2.4x for $500 I paid) is just the cherry on top.
When did you get the offer to buy up to J? Day of or before? Is this typical?
Old Mar 19, 23, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Got anxious and booked this flight. Had a nightmare about it going up in price! I could pay $500 more for 2.5 hours less at EWR but it wasn't worth it to me.

I have
1 hr 19 minutes at IAD (maybe enough to stop into the Polaris Lounge?)
2 hr 50 minutes at FRA - I guess there is a Welcome Lounge I can use? Customs/immigration is here. Anybody know how long that takes?

On the Return
2 hr 50 again in FRA
Almost 5 hours in EWR

If the price had jumped overnight I would have considered other airlines . . . SAS or Lufthansa. THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Old Mar 19, 23, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Silver, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
When did you get the offer to buy up to J? Day of or before? Is this typical?
As soon as I purchases the ticket through SAS, but I didn't bid until a few days prior to departure. Sweet ride in the A350 mini cabin with only 6 passengers.

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal View Post
Got anxious and booked this flight. Had a nightmare about it going up in price! I could pay $500 more for 2.5 hours less at EWR but it wasn't worth it to me.

I have
1 hr 19 minutes at IAD (maybe enough to stop into the Polaris Lounge?)
2 hr 50 minutes at FRA - I guess there is a Welcome Lounge I can use? Customs/immigration is here. Anybody know how long that takes?

On the Return
2 hr 50 again in FRA
Almost 5 hours in EWR

If the price had jumped overnight I would have considered other airlines . . . SAS or Lufthansa. THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Can you access the welcome lounge in FRA if not a LH elite traveling on LH? Not sure. Regardless, the welcome lounge in landside, so you would need to clear passport control, which seems unnecessary. You can access airside lounges and remain airside without entering Germany.
Old Mar 19, 23, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Can you access the welcome lounge in FRA if not a LH elite traveling on LH? Not sure. Regardless, the welcome lounge in landside, so you would need to clear passport control, which seems unnecessary. You can access airside lounges and remain airside without entering Germany.
Welcome lounge access for Polaris passengers is undocumented but you seem to get access. The original poster would need to clear passport control anyways because they are connecting to an intra-Schengen flight.

I should clarify that customs will not occur at FRA; you will go through customs at BGO.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 23, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal View Post
... ...2 hr 50 minutes at FRA - I guess there is a Welcome Lounge I can use? Customs/immigration is here. Anybody know how long that takes?....
No worth the roundtrip to landside. The regular LH lounges are fine and don't waste 40-50 minutes in lines
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Mar 19, 23, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Oh, thanks! I thought maybe Bergen wasn't big enough to have a Customs/Immigration office? Cool! Seems like it would be a shorter line. And I haven't had much luck finding ANY lounge I could use at FRA? I guess my Googling skills are not what they used to be. I won't need a shower. And yes, don't want to hassle going landside. Just looking for a place to hang out on the return, IF possible. I would like any club access on the return as I have nearly 3 hours, again, before my Polaris flight and will miss breakfast in Bergen since the flight leaves at 6:15AM. I haven't spent much time in FRA. Seriously the last time I was there was 1986 on my way from AMS to HKG. We had to identify our luggage on the tarmac before they would load it. And my backpack was nowhere to be seen. Upon arrival in Hong Kong I heard my name over the loudspeaker. My backpack had gone to Rome and would be there on Wednesday. It was Sunday. Nice way to start a RTW trip . . . THANKS AGAIN, ALL.
Old Mar 19, 23, 5:32 pm

You can use any LH Business lounge. You may check https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder. BGO-FRA will likely have a meal. Don't forget to get your ICTS sticker in FRA on the return.

For flights into Schengen, you go through passport control at your first Schengen airport and customs at your final Schengen airport.

Search this Thread