Solid options to United

Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Solid options to United

I'm a million miler and current 1K, but a recent interaction with a United employee has me wondering if other airlines have better customer service. Just feeling fed up with United... anyone know if there are options that are just as good? I realize the switching cost is high. Please no United burner account responses...
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Delta is pretty good, if their network works for you.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelinsandiego
I'm a million miler and current 1K, but a recent interaction with a United employee has me wondering if other airlines have better customer service. Just feeling fed up with United... anyone know if there are options that are just as good? I realize the switching cost is high. Please no United burner account responses...
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Domestically, AA and DL are pretty comparable to UA. Mostly, it depends upon where you're located.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by michaelinsandiego
Delta has better CS, and friendlier/more attentive FAs. Usually, they are more expensive than UA but I am giving more and more of my business to them because of UA's degradation.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:10 pm

The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence -- unless there's a septic tank / drain field over there!
benfro6, wrp96, findark and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
You really should stick with United.. much better on-time performance, much friendlier flight attendants in the friendly skies, and far superior customer service over DL
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:49 pm

IF you want another airline go to another forum
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
So much depends upon where you live and what routes you fly and whether its domestic or international, and where international.

As a free agent, I fly the ones with the right combination of price and value and schedule.

It seems like United and its partners are best for me internationally right now, although a few years ago, it seemed like I was always on an American flight or their partners. I use Delta a lot because they go to the cities I am flying to a lot.

They all have their ups and downs. And they all have thousands of employees so you always stand a chance to have a bad interaction with someone.

I've had good luck and bad luck with all the major carriers. I collect miles but I don't really seem to be able to keep status for more than a year since I only fly for leisure and I will go times without flying.
SPN Lifer, jsloan, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:40 pm

Flying United out of SFO is more expensive comparing with Delta. It's a business hub so they can charge more. Thinking of switching as well though I will miss their Economy Plus annual subscription.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Switching away from United 1k to be a no-status Delta'er reminds me of the Paradise Lost quote... Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. :P

But honestly most of the airlines are the same in terms of customer service and whatnot... Just choose whichever airline best fits your schedule. Most of my travel nowadays is between Asia and SFO or EWR, so United is the only one that makes sense.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If someone flies a lot and wants to align with one airlines frequent flyer program, I dont understand why anyone would choose other than the airline that provides the best network and the most reliable operation out of ones airport. Am I going to add extra time / distance / hassle to my travel because one airlines FA smiles more than anothers? No.

Im 100% sure Delta has nice FAs and better food out of HNL than UA, but it would be pretty dumb to be a very frequent domestic/intl flyer and choose that airline/FF program based here - I dont care how wide the smiles and good the food. Delta just doesnt have the frequency/destinations/network out of Honolulu. Traveling would become more difficult and time-consuming with reduced departures and inconvenient intl connections.
wrp96, halls120, United747 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 11, 2023 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Domestically, AA and DL are pretty comparable to UA. Mostly, it depends upon where you're located.
IMO, Delta is a little better than AA and UA, but AA does have the B6 partnership, which is nicer than all 3 in certain respects. Since this is FT, frequent flyer programs often weigh pretty heavily in the calculus. Historically, AA and UA had much better programs than DL. However, now that all 3 have basically moved to dynamic award pricing and watered down other benefits, this isn't much of a differentiator anymore. AS actually hasn't fallen quite as far yet, so you (@michaelinsandiego) might want to consider them (bank AA flights too). In any event, I bolded "location" in jsloan post because this should be the most important consideration. In the old days, it was common for people to go with airlines when living near other airlines' hubs in order to rack up more segments/miles on every trip and probably save a little money, but that practice isn't common now (miles from flying simply aren't worth wasting time pursuing).
jsloan, SPN Lifer, TerryK and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
UA IT, app, website functions are a million miles ahead of DL/AA/B6.

It's better than ALL airlines in the world.

Let's try to give credits due to United.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kb1992
UA IT, app, website functions are a million miles ahead of DL/AA/B6.

It's better than ALL airlines in the world.

Let's try to give credits due to United.
As a Mac user, I have to disagree. UA's website loads slower than DL's, and I can complete a ticket purchase faster on DL. Expert mode, which I used to really appreciate, comes and goes, but it doesn't matter anyway since UG space never shows up until close-in. I don't expect to get UGs on DL, but I don't get them on UA either as a 1K. WFBF is what I have to do these days and DL's F is superior to UA's.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 11, 2023 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If someone flies a lot and wants to align with one airlines frequent flyer program, I dont understand why anyone would choose other than the airline that provides the best network and the most reliable operation out of ones airport. Am I going to add extra time / distance / hassle to my travel because one airlines FA smiles more than anothers? No.

Im 100% sure Delta has nice FAs and better food out of HNL than UA, but it would be pretty dumb to be a very frequent domestic/intl flyer and choose that airline/FF program based here - I dont care how wide the smiles and good the food. Delta just doesnt have the frequency/destinations/network out of Honolulu. Traveling would become more difficult and time-consuming with reduced departures and inconvenient intl connections.
This.

I'm always baffled by the number of people who seemingly have equal choice in schedule between the major airlines. When I lived in SFO, I flew UA. Now that I'm in MSP, most of my travel has moved over to DL.

For all the "nice FAs" (a claim I am skeptical of) and better food, none of that will cause DL to fly SFO-DCA or SFO-IAD, or have a reasonable schedule to the islands (I still fly UA there due to schedule concerns). A mildly better meal is not worth a jaunt to a hub for an extra connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.