Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Poll: Satisfied With UA's 2022 (+Jan '23) PlusPoints Upgrade Program?

View Poll Results: Are You Satisfied w/ UA's 2022 (+Jan 2023) PlusPoints upgrade program?
Yes, I'm satisfied and used 100% of my PlusPoints.
18.49%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 75% to 100% of my PlusPoints.
10.92%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 50% to 75% of my PlusPoints.
9.24%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 25% to 50% of my PlusPoints.
5.88%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 0% to 25% of my PlusPoints.
0.84%
No, I'm not satisfied and used 100% of my PlusPoints.
5.88%
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 75% to 100% of my PlusPoints.
5.88%
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 50% to 75% of my PlusPoints.
5.04%
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 25% to 50% of my PlusPoints.
11.76%
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 0% to 25% of my PlusPoints.
26.05%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

Welcome to our 3rd annual PlusPoint satisfaction poll. The poll simply asks two things:

1. Were you satisfied with the PP program in 2022?
2. Regardless of your answer to #1, what % of your PPs did you use in 2022?

The poll will be activated by the mods this evening. Answers will be:

Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 75% to 100% of my PlusPoints.
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 50% to 75% of my PlusPoints.
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 25% to 50% of my PlusPoints.
Yes, I'm satisfied and used roughly 0% to 25% of my PlusPoints.
No, I'm not satisfied and used 100% of my PlusPoints.
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 75% to 100% of my PlusPoints.
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 50% to 75% of my PlusPoints.
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 25% to 50% of my PlusPoints.
No, I'm not satisfied and used roughly 0% to 25% of my PlusPoints.

As a refresher, here are the results from 2019 & 2021 (we skipped 2020 for obvious reasons)
Attached Images  
uanj, narvik and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Poll is live!
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am satisfied and did use 100% but it was very much down to the wire on my December 2022 flight. Use them for TPAC and TATL.

Never had PlusPoints (or GPUs) expired unused once I was aware that I had them. I fly on my own dime and fly on Tuesdays/Wednesdays.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold

However, it's disappointing that it's now almost impossible to find PZ space in advance (over 4 or 5 months in advance).
UA has the data and knows that some mid-week flights to certain locations won't be sold out so it could have a couple/few seats for upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leoo

However, it's disappointing that it's now almost impossible to find PZ space in advance (over 4 or 5 months in advance).
UA has the data and knows that some mid-week flights to certain locations won't be sold out so it could have a couple/few seats for upgrade.
While the mid-week flights aren't clearing early, they are ultimately clearing, which is progress.

SFO-SIN starting to look like an easy mid-week upgrade -- especially with SFO-HKG restarting.

SFO-LHR also should be an easy mid-week upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
While the mid-week flights aren't clearing early, they are ultimately clearing, which is progress.
No it isn't, since there's no place that I need to go badly enough to risk traveling in longhaul UA Y to get there. Also, most of us lack access to PN inventory.

SFO-SIN starting to look like an easy mid-week upgrade -- especially with SFO-HKG restarting.
Based on the idea that UA HKG-bound passengers are currently overflying it by four hours? Or based on the idea that some people will elect an HKG transfer over SIN? Neither of those theories holds water. I see no reason to believe that SFO-SIN will become an "easy" upgrade. Just, maybe, a plausible one, if you don't mind the risk of your upgrade failing to clear.

SFO-LHR also should be an easy mid-week upgrade.
I haven't been a 1K long enough to remember TATL upgrades from SFO being "easy," and I see no reason to believe they'll start now.

My vote was 100% used / unsatisfied, specifically because I've been looking for a TPAC trip with about a two-week window, three months ahead, on just about any routing that avoids China/HK, and I have found zero PZ space. None. I've never seen upgrade availability as bad as it is now. (It was bad last year too; now it's worse).

If I can't use my PlusPoints, despite being extremely flexible, 1K holds little value to me.
SPN Lifer and leoo like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
No it isn't, since there's no place that I need to go badly enough to risk traveling in longhaul UA Y to get there. Also, most of us lack access to PN inventory.
That's what PE is for.
But seriously, I won't participate in the poll because I only qualified in 2022 for the 2023 elite year so usage is still in progress.

Semi-fortunately, work pays for J on redeyes, but only PE on day flights (relatively new cost-cutting policy). I do NYC-LHR every couple of months. I don't need to "risk" flying back in Y, I'm sure I'll survive PE if I have to (have somehow managed to avoid it all these years...). But the PPs will hopefully come in handy, especially when the fare difference is large (I'll pay ~$300 out of pocket as an alternative). I have used them once internationally, last month -- was able to confirm at booking (~14 days prior) on I think the 4pm LHR-EWR on a Thursday. I have the flexibility to try to book where PZ is or is more likely to become available (seems Fridays back are a lot tighter) although it will be interesting to see how trends change as we go into the summer. How many of my PPs I use will ultimately come down primarily to how many long-haul trips I end up taking, although I will probably request them on all my domestic Y bookings as well (which probably won't be tons, although I did clear myself and companion to F on a mid-con widebody -- we were confirmed in PE seats as E+, so this is one reason I have still never sat in a PE seat!)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Ive been able to use nearly all of my PP to/from HNL on midweek flights although Ive made an occasional buy up when things have come down to the wire.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I see no reason to believe that SFO-SIN will become an "easy" upgrade...
I'd argue it's a pretty easy upgrade today if you're flexible. For example, you can leave in 4 days and there are 20+ J seats available. That's a guaranteed upgrade.

I haven't been a 1K long enough to remember TATL upgrades from SFO being "easy," and I see no reason to believe they'll start now.
Again, has always been a pretty easy upgrade if you're flexible -- will only get easier as they return to 3x/day SFO-LHR on Mar 25th.

Not to mention DEN-LHR regularly flies with the J cabin unfilled. The FAs actually walk around and thank us for taking this flight. They explicitly tell us they don't want UA to cancel the flight -- so keep flying it.

I've been looking for a TPAC trip with about a two-week window, three months ahead, on just about any routing that avoids China/HK, and I have found zero PZ space. None. I've never seen upgrade availability as bad as it is now. (It was bad last year too; now it's worse).
UA only flies to two APAC cities that meet those criteria -- SIN & Tokyo. Japan and Singapore are currently popular destinations. Expecting PZ months in advance is not reasonable. Fly mid-week and it'll likely clear.

PZ may reappear after millions of 'extended' PPs expire this July. We'll see.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd argue it's a pretty easy upgrade today if you're flexible. For example, you can leave in 4 days and there are 20+ J seats available. That's a guaranteed upgrade.
It's not a guaranteed upgrade unless there is PZ space. And, while I'm much more flexible than many people, I do like to have international travel firmed up a little further in advance than four days.

UA only flies to two APAC cities that meet those criteria -- SIN & Tokyo. Japan and Singapore are currently popular destinations. Expecting PZ months in advance is not reasonable.
We have different definitions of what's reasonable. I have never had this big of a problem in the past, booking with a very similar timeframe. I'm not imagining it. And, yes, there are only two countries on that list, but I've looked at every flight, through each UA gateway. The only flights with any PZ space at all were HNL-GUM and vv, but with no PZ to/from Hawaii.

Long-haul upgrades that do not clear in advance are not a benefit I value at all, because my travel is discretionary. If this is UA's new reality -- even if you're very flexible, you can't confirm upgrades in advance -- then I suspect this will be my last year as a 1K.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's what PE is for.
But seriously, I won't participate in the poll because I only qualified in 2022 for the 2023 elite year so usage is still in progress.

Semi-fortunately, work pays for J on redeyes, but only PE on day flights (relatively new cost-cutting policy). I do NYC-LHR every couple of months. I don't need to "risk" flying back in Y, I'm sure I'll survive PE if I have to (have somehow managed to avoid it all these years...). But the PPs will hopefully come in handy, especially when the fare difference is large (I'll pay ~$300 out of pocket as an alternative). I have used them once internationally, last month -- was able to confirm at booking (~14 days prior) on I think the 4pm LHR-EWR on a Thursday. I have the flexibility to try to book where PZ is or is more likely to become available (seems Fridays back are a lot tighter) although it will be interesting to see how trends change as we go into the summer. How many of my PPs I use will ultimately come down primarily to how many long-haul trips I end up taking, although I will probably request them on all my domestic Y bookings as well (which probably won't be tons, although I did clear myself and companion to F on a mid-con widebody -- we were confirmed in PE seats as E+, so this is one reason I have still never sat in a PE seat!)
I fly on my own dime for business and, quite frankly, PE sucks. I did it a couple of times late last year in an effort to save money and use some of my ~1,000 PPs, and did not enjoy the experience when my UGs failed to clear. It's not something that I'd ever pay for if I had a choice. So, on my last flight on UA, I had O purchased and was waitlisted for PZ with PPs. It didn't come through by OLCI (in fact, the J cabin was sold-out prior to 24 hours), so I canceled at around 4 hours to departure and took a back-up award flight that I'd booked on another carrier in case the UA UG didn't come through. I'd rather use up my continually devaluing miles than give UA more cash for an inferior product and, since I have to fly every week, there's no problem for me using up my FFCs. YMMV.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 24, 2023 at 7:42 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Fortunately as i am 1K and there is no Premium Plus on my May 2023 TATL flight I am okay unless those extended PlusPoints are for 1Ks on fares higher than W...🤞

My June 2023 TATL flight in O I am feeling somewhat optimistic that i will get the upgrade.

I am more pessimistic on my K fare TPAC in June 2023 and more optimistic on the L fare return on August 1...

Hoping United does no more extensions of those gazillion of PlusPoints expiring in July.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, has always been a pretty easy upgrade if you're flexible -- will only get easier as they return to 3x/day SFO-LHR on Mar 25th.

Not to mention DEN-LHR regularly flies with the J cabin unfilled. The FAs actually walk around and thank us for taking this flight. They explicitly tell us they don't want UA to cancel the flight -- so keep flying it.

UA only flies to two APAC cities that meet those criteria -- SIN & Tokyo. Japan and Singapore are currently popular destinations. Expecting PZ months in advance is not reasonable. Fly mid-week and it'll likely clear.

It's not a guaranteed upgrade unless there is PZ space. And, while I'm much more flexible than many people, I do like to have international travel firmed up a little further in advance than four days.

We have different definitions of what's reasonable. I have never had this big of a problem in the past, booking with a very similar timeframe. I'm not imagining it. And, yes, there are only two countries on that list, but I've looked at every flight, through each UA gateway. The only flights with any PZ space at all were HNL-GUM and vv, but with no PZ to/from Hawaii.

Long-haul upgrades that do not clear in advance are not a benefit I value at all, because my travel is discretionary. If this is UA's new reality -- even if you're very flexible, you can't confirm upgrades in advance -- then I suspect this will be my last year as a 1K.
Yep, I've had plenty of 'guaranteed' upgrades turn into death on the list when, say, the day before cancels. It's not guaranteed unless it is confirmed.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, leoo and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:53 pm

Theres also SFO-TPE (Taipei)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
Theres also SFO-TPE (Taipei)
And also ICN and KIX.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.