Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2023 Let’s Eat - Polaris business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Lanson
I picked up some Lanson at Costco for NYE - decided to get it as I saw it on FT being served in Polaris - I thought it was pretty decent.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
UA70 EWR-AMS 1/7/23

PDB offered; water or sparkling wine.

Wasn't able to order the Albarino but they had a Spanish Verdejo. Very light and unremarkable.

There was a feeble attempt to warm the nuts if you really focused on the Death Star.

Sad
I don't get the buckwheat noodle salad. Obviously it is cheap to make. The menu claims "spicy"; without adding anything I could detect some sesame oil flavor. No spice whatsoever. And I still want to know who got my "feta mousse and pickled watermelons". It all sound great but the execution is horrible. And why do they serve balsamic on the side? I ended up pouring it over the noodles to give it some flavor.

The turbot had a very nice flavor, but (echoing the nuts), was barely lukewarm. Would have tasted much better if it was heated properly. The best part of the plate to me were the gooseberries. As for the "cauliflower and rapini croquettes", they were bone dry, flavorless, cold, and altogether disgusting. Embarrassing.

Buh bye
Sundae was nothing like the soon to return custom made version. I hoped to snag a cheese plate (sitting in Row 1 by the snack area) but all they put out were egg custard tarts - which were very tasty.

"Egg" was a tiny hard hockey puck of albumen. Shakshuka sauce was VERY spicy; maybe the editor put the SPICY descriptor in the wrong spot . . .

Clearly, not a soul on the earth chooses to fly UA for the soft product.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wonder if we will ever see the Tikka Masala? Or in true United Menu writing nonsense, do they not know what it really is... Maybe they think it is a generic term for any chicken breast dish? HAHA
Happy New Year.
Had the same thing happen with this exact chicken dish on GVA-IAD. It was pretty horrendous. Not happy with the bait and switch. Burger wasn’t great either. Honestly after flying TK Economy to GVA I think this catering may have been worse!
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
LHR-SFO 9:20am departure, Jan 2023

No PDB. The EU>US Breakfast menu for departures before 9:30 has always been a weak spot, but January is a new all-time low.

Choice of either Egg & Turkey Breakfast Sandwich or Quark and Raspberry Crepe. No third or fourth choice. Crew called it “shameful”.

Side dish was a “Smoothie Bowl” with cranberries and chocolate walnut brownie. Absolutely horrible.

Arrival service was never-rotating choice of Hamburger Wellington or Couscous Vegetable plate with overripe fruit and packaged cookie.

Exact same thing served in Premium Plus.

Such a poor showing. Even my meals on my intra-Europe flights under 2h were supreme to this. Nothing about this aligns to a $12k ticket.

Food selection really scaled back in the UC LHR as well. Cut backs galore.

Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by greenpau

No PDB. The EU>US Breakfast menu for departures before 9:30 has always been a weak spot, but January is a new all-time low.

Choice of either Egg & Turkey Breakfast Sandwich or Quark and Raspberry Crepe. No third or fourth choice. Crew called it “shameful”.

Side dish was a “Smoothie Bowl” with cranberries and chocolate walnut brownie. Absolutely horrible.

Arrival service was never-rotating choice of Hamburger Wellington or Couscous Vegetable plate with overripe fruit and packaged cookie.

Such a poor showing. Even my meals on my intra-Europe flights under 2h were supreme to this. Nothing about this aligns to a $12k ticket.

Every now & then I come over here just to peek and to feel better about AA and realize they really arent that bad. This post & pictures did exactly that for me. Wow this is hideous, what a joke.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:37 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
LHR-DEN 7 Jan 23

Had the black halibut. It was ok. Still not used to rooting around the bottom of my salad for the dressing but it tasted fine. Skipped dessert and pre-landing meal . Cabin service was good, with personable & attentive FA’s. Pre-departure beverage, no hot towel but did have warm nuts. Ever notice that sometimes warming makes the nuts soft and a bit gooey? Seems like we are slowly approaching pre-pandemic food and cabin service, with still a ways to go however.

Was directed to the GS side of the United Club at LHR on departure which was nice and I made extra effort to thank the agent when I was leaving.

DEN
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:33 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan

I’m honestly at a loss to explain the salads lately - and how this could be called Tikka Masala chicken escapes me….
It's not the Chicken Tikka Masala. Clearly it's the Provence Herbed Chicken mentioned in the DEN-LHR menu above — AND it has the mythical feta mousse that has been missing from everyone's soba noodle appetizers! Presumably they swap these chicken dishes around and the menus don't keep up.

Last edited by 1P; Jan 9, 2023 at 3:35 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:39 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
​​​

-FlyerBeek
I assume this is the Tortellini with Ricotta and mushroom filling — but no sign of the advertised pesto red cream sauce....... Did you send it back?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by greenpau

Wow, that is really bad even for what we have come to expect from United. Wonder if you ping the GS desk with these pictures what they would do / say....
Also, maybe a bit OT, but what food was downgraded in the Club? I was there in Jan 2 and didn't notice any cutbacks yet.

FYI - You posted in the 2022 thread. Maybe the Mods can move into 2023 thread for us all to see?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Jan 4 GRU-IAH, 777-200.
This was pretty good; but meals ex-GRU generally are. The dreaded fruit (mango) polluted the salad but otherwise ok. Crew were young and enthusiastic. Skilled breakfast as I was heading to the PL in IAH.

I think it's about time UA brings back a starter / first course. Could be cold / Arabic mezza / cold cuts / etc but it would elevate the experience a little bit (and at least seem as if they are trying).

Menu

Beef main

Salad

Dessert
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
January 7, 2023. UA 130 HND-EWR. Got the chicken and the fish breakfast. The fish wasn't bad, the chicken wasn't great, that sandwich thing was abysmal. I honestly do like United and choose to fly them, and really do think they've been doing a lot of customer friendly things, yet they continue to just punt on catering which honestly seems odd as I would imagine it's a pretty low cost to improve it in relation to the payoff in customer happiness. I remember the days of Chelsea catering, and the NYC-Tokyo route had really good Japanese bentos with rotating sakes, and it was great. I miss that.

Also, I love Star Trek. SNW and LD are so good.

Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by seanp7
I think it's about time UA brings back a starter / first course. Could be cold / Arabic mezza / cold cuts / etc but it would elevate the experience a little bit (and at least seem as if they are trying).
I have had starters on SYD and SIN flights in past 1-2 months, listed on menu and served with salad separately from main. Should be visible upstream and at end of 2022 thread.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
UA131
EWR - HND
1/9/23

Really had high hopes but nope….

Here is the beef and salmon - beef was ok - salmon was not…

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jan 9, 2023 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Same ol’, same ol’.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Same ol’, same ol’.
Never thought I would miss chicken Kaatsu so much lol…. UA food is now truly awful - especially when you know they can do better - because they used to….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.