Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
You are 100% correct about OGG - it is way too small for the volume of planes and passengers that airlines continue to dump on it on a daily basis....
.... the airlines blame the infrastructure (and lack of staff and support systems) and vice versa

just like the mess at ORD..... 30 min flights that site on the ground for taxi'ing for over an hour...... but we are getting off topic
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Well, one grain of not-so-badness- here in Hawaii, pretty much the entire Southwest schedule is on time today. Both inter-island and mainland.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mfirst
on my last UA flight - DEN-OGG, we departed 45+ minutes late because of a "security breach" in Denver that limited the flight from boarding and leaving on time
and then sat on the tarmac in OGG for over an hour because there was no gate available
and then another hour waiting for the luggage (which is usually a very quick process there)

....all told, left the airport about 3 hours later than planned
By contrast we flew UA DEN-OGG on 12/22 and arrived 7 hours late. They had to swap in a plane for a mechanical. Bags have been pretty fast at OGG the last few years but 12/22 it was a return to old form, including the conveyor belt getting stuck for 10 minutes. Our priority tags were of little help with it taking 1 hour to get luggage. All in all though we felt lucky to get out of the -25F in Denver that day and the cluster it was causing. It was clear that the UA employees wanted us to get to Maui as much as we did and they did a fantastic job of making it happen.
seat38a likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hopefully this isn't considered normal operations - on Monday Jan 2: 205 Cancellations 1,700 delays
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hopefully this isn't considered normal operations - on Monday Jan 2: 205 Cancellations 1,700 delays
Is that for UA or WN?
Onboard my first flight of my first trip of 2023 and 100% delayed with UA so far this year...but I can't say this one surprised me based on wx.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Is that for UA or WN?
Onboard my first flight of my first trip of 2023 and 100% delayed with UA so far this year...but I can't say this one surprised me based on wx.
Southwest. Though UA had a sizeable number of delays as well. Granted part of that, for both of them, probably had something to do with all FL traffic being put on reroutes for a few hours due to an ATC equipment failure. And of course I believe DEN had some GDPs in place most of the afternoon/evening.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jan 3, 2023 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Southwest. Though UA had a sizeable number of delays as well. Granted part of that, for both of them, probably had something to do with all FL traffic being put on reroutes for a few hours due to an ATC equipment failure. And of course I believe DEN had some GDPs in place most of the afternoon/evening.
Yeah, from a delay % standpoint, UA is higher at 45% vs. 43% for WN. And also, some of those cancellations and delays for Skywest may be attributable to UA flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.