Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: East Coast Winter Weather (December 26, 2022 - December 29, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: East Coast Winter Weather (December 26, 2022 - December 29, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Allentown, PA (ABE)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Bangor, ME (BGR)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)​
  • Buffalo, NY (BUF)
  • Burlington, VT (BTV)
  • Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Ithaca, NY (ITH)
  • Johnstown, PA (JST)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Presque Isle, ME (PQI)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Rochester, NY (ROC)
  • State College, PA (SCE)
  • Syracuse, NY (SYR)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
  • Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: December 25, 2022

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for United flights departing on or before January 6, 2023, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window: December 26, 2022 - January 6, 2023

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David
Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Odd that BWI and DCA are covered, but not IAD...? I have a flight from IAD tomorrow, really hoping they'll fix this (assuming) oversight.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Odd that BWI and DCA are covered, but not IAD...? I have a flight from IAD tomorrow, really hoping they'll fix this (assuming) oversight.
Or they have sufficient confidence in their prediction models and results to call BWI and DCA as affected but not IAD.

Suspect it is an oversight but we should keep an eye out for a late breaking addition...

David
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I feel lucky that I don't have to fly until 12/31 after seeing all of these waivers and hearing of horror stories of folks getting canceled, rebooked, canceled again, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Did I miss something in the forecast? What east coast winter weather 12/26-12/29?

(Waivers are always welcome, I'm just confused by this one)
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ty97
Did I miss something in the forecast? What east coast winter weather 12/26-12/29?

I was thinking the same thing -- too much sun for winter?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I was thinking the same thing -- too much sun for winter?
Bunch of winter storms about to his the West Coast which will affect the Rockies - and then continue across the country to affect the East Coast.

David
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Probably just digging out of rebooking issues from most recent storm and offering options. Looking the the weather, do not see anything predicted for those areas.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:04 am

My son's friend (our houseguest) was to fly out of EWR last night.. flight delayed twice. Show up to check in (11pm - midnight) and there was nobody from United there to process the people and their bags. Anything automated wasn't working. I made a second drive to EWR to pick him up and bring him back for another night with us. No explanations from UA, nada. Son's friend rescheduled for tonight at no cost to him.. Funny that he wanted to do that originally but they quoted him a very high price and he decided to stick with his original plan. We're fortunate that it's only a 15 to 20 minute drive to the terminal.

I tend to think it was the accumulative effect of holiday travel and weather related issues from the previous 2 - 3 days. United knew that flight (and probably a couple others) was pending and that there were passengers waiting. I feel bad for the ones that were stranded without a place to go.. I hope someone from United stepped up and helped them out.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Bunch of winter storms about to his the West Coast which will affect the Rockies - and then continue across the country to affect the East Coast.

David
As others have said,

It is supposed to be sunny and mild (for December) through the 29th for that part of the country.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
As others have said,

It is supposed to be sunny and mild (for December) through the 29th for that part of the country.
Would you rather that UA have _no_ waiver in place depending on what is happening weatherwise within its scheduled flights ala WN?

Just because some predictions say sunny some place at this time doesn't mean that the system won't get affected elsewhere. Or would it be better to not have any waivers in place like WN during this past summer in FL (and see some quotes over in the WN Forum) and let things meltdown?

David
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you rather that UA have _no_ waiver in place depending on what is happening weatherwise within its scheduled flights ala WN?

Just because some predictions say sunny some place at this time doesn't mean that the system won't get affected elsewhere. Or would it be better to not have any waivers in place like WN during this past summer in FL (and see some quotes over in the WN Forum) and let things meltdown?

David
I am only saying it is weird to have an airline label it an "East Coast Winter Weather Waiver" when there is no winter weather occurring or forecast on the East Coast. Things like this just make the traveling public scratch their heads and think the airline is lying and/or incompetent, like they do when they hear "Your IAD-ORD flight is delayed due to weather" when it is sunny and 70' in both cities, instead of hearing "Your IAD-ORD flight is delayed because the inbound aircraft is delayed coming from SFO due to bad weather there."

If UA is expecting cascading operational issues to spread around the system due to bad weather on the West Coast or in the Rockies or wherever, they should just call it a "Proactive Travel Waiver" or somesuch, and it should apply systemwide, not just to the East Coast cities listed. Also, some of the cities listed are solely regional Express destinations which almost certainly would not be directly impacted by bad weather on the West Coast.

(And FTR, in case there is any doubt, I am certainly not blaming YOU for what UA is calling this. And I think WN now has a systemwide waiver in place through Jan. 2.)
mcgahat likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's WN's systemwide waiver - which is cited in Summary of UA Travel Waivers: December 2022:

David
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's WN's systemwide waiver - which is cited in Summary of UA Travel Waivers: December 2022:

David
Yep, exactly, and WN is being excoriated - on FT and in the media - for blaming its current systemwide operational disaster, which will now evidently be continuing through at least Jan. 2, on "Winter Storm Elliott," which has been over for a couple days now (except arguably in BUF), while all other airlines have long since been back to relative normal.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My family wonders why I never come for Christmas.
They live in Buffalo
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.