Wiki Posts
Search

Hours to kill - worth the change?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec silver
Hours to kill - worth the change?

I have a flight from IAH to SEA on united. It's actually around 5pm. So pretty much the whole day wasted to some extent.
They are giving me options to take earlier flights if I want (or later) but they ALL have layovers in either Denver, SFO or Chicago except for the original flight which is straight through.

The one in Chicago is an early morning one and I get home in the early-ish afternoon, which is nice.

But there is a 3-4 hour layover in Chicago.

What do you suggest/recommend? I also suspect the airport in Chicago has no hourly hotel rooms?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
If given the option, I'd stick with the one flight. Anything could happen at a connecting airport.

Chicago: Correct, there are no hourly hotel rooms. The United Club on the F concourse is nice, with tarmac views, so it might be an okay place to hang out for a couple of hours.

Denver: Generally good for connections, although lately they've been running some flights out of the C concourse (rather than the B concourse, which is all United). Houston and Seattle are probably going into / out of B, but I thought I should mention the C concourse as a risk.

SFO: It's a bit out of your way & might add time to the journey. Do you get a larger or better aircraft on the IAH-SFO leg? That might be a consideration.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Lori! I have been to Denver a few times in the past. Surprised there are about 90% of the layovers going through there with the changes they are showing me... lol.

yeah. Means I will be at the airport in IAH for a good... 5 hours. I check out of my hotel around 11am. Get to the airport by 12pm... and hours to kill
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by firehawk
Thanks Lori! I have been to Denver a few times in the past. Surprised there are about 90% of the layovers going through there with the changes they are showing me... lol.

yeah. Means I will be at the airport in IAH for a good... 5 hours. I check out of my hotel around 11am. Get to the airport by 12pm... and hours to kill
What’s the rush to get to the airport? With 5 hours, there’s plenty to do in Houston. Go to the zoo, or the natural history museum; go get some barbecue or Tex-Mex; you could probably even make it down to NASA and back if you leave a little earlier.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
It's only a 45min -1hr ride down to NASA, 59S (I-69) to I-45S. I would avoid changing flights to include a stopover, like someone said here, never know what you're gonna get.
If you stay, visit Pappasito's in terminal E, good Tex-Mex and Margaritas. Or last resort, buy a United Club pass, there are a few at IAH.
jsloan and Artpen100 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by firehawk
I have a flight from IAH to SEA on united. It's actually around 5pm. So pretty much the whole day wasted to some extent.
They are giving me options to take earlier flights if I want (or later) but they ALL have layovers in either Denver, SFO or Chicago except for the original flight which is straight through.

The one in Chicago is an early morning one and I get home in the early-ish afternoon, which is nice.

But there is a 3-4 hour layover in Chicago.

What do you suggest/recommend? I also suspect the airport in Chicago has no hourly hotel rooms?
Your hotel should be able to store your bags for you after you check out. Then you can come back and retrieve them whe you are ready to go to the airport later.
jsloan, downinit, VRFast and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Having the hotel to hold your bag for a few hours is a great idea. Tell us where your hotel is located. Some of us might be able to recommend a couple of places near by for you to enjoy or lovely city.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:14 am

Another big risk of connecting in ORD/DEN in the winter time is weather. DEN is especially prone to shutting down for several hours whenever there is a little snow or a bolt of lightning within 50 miles of the airport. As previously stated, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you need to go directly from checkout to the airport. Check out whenever you want in the morning and head into town. View this as a free day in Houston, which it basically is. If you do not have a car, just leave your luggage with the front desk and have fun. Life is too short as it is, so you should never pass up an opportunity. Houston also has a thriving Vietnamese community, with food to match.
SPN Lifer, artvandalay and jsloan like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by downinit
Another big risk of connecting in ORD/DEN in the winter time is weather. DEN is especially prone to shutting down for several hours whenever there is a little snow or a bolt of lightning within 50 miles of the airport. As previously stated, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you need to go directly from checkout to the airport. Check out whenever you want in the morning and head into town. View this as a free day in Houston, which it basically is. If you do not have a car, just leave your luggage with the front desk and have fun. Life is too short as it is, so you should never pass up an opportunity. Houston also has a thriving Vietnamese community, with food to match.
I’ve connected in Denver thousands of times, snow doesn’t shut down Denver, but deicing might cause a small delay.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan
What’s the rush to get to the airport? With 5 hours, there’s plenty to do in Houston. Go to the zoo, or the natural history museum; go get some barbecue or Tex-Mex; you could probably even make it down to NASA and back if you leave a little earlier.
Off topic but Memorial Park-Houston Arboretum are right off the 610 & fantastic place to spend a few hours outdoors if the weather is good.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’ve connected in Denver thousands of times, snow doesn’t shut down Denver, but deicing might cause a small delay.
OK, maybe it is only lightning that actually shuts the airport down (I was rerouted to COS for 4 hours of torture in UA's new subcompact Y seats in September due to a light thunderstorm), but the likelihood of delays and cancellations via DEN in the winter is very high (25% per FlightAware, second only to EWR). Regardless, it is definitely not a risk worth taking when a simpler solution is to just get to the airport later in the day.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by downinit
OK, maybe it is only lightning that actually shuts the airport down (I was rerouted to COS for 4 hours of torture in UA's new subcompact Y seats in September due to a light thunderstorm), but the likelihood of delays and cancellations via DEN in the winter is very high (25% per FlightAware, second only to EWR). Regardless, it is definitely not a risk worth taking when a simpler solution is to just get to the airport later in the day.
I think that is more fair, but my point was connecting in DEN is a non issue majority of the time. I’ve missed exactly two flights over the history of DIA, and one at Stapleton prior to DIA opening.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:43 pm

Yes, I routinely leave my bag(s) at the front desk, and then spend the last day exploring wherever I am before catching an evening flight (or Acela, in the case of NY).

But, this only works if you are staying at a hotel -- Air BNB probably not so, as they are usually unstaffed!
SCChris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.