Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat/Gold)? [2022 Consolidated]

Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm 900 PQPs shy of United 1K for 2023. I have the option of buying 1000 PQPs (plus 12K miles) on my last flight of the year for $1300 to get across the 1K threshold. Should I/Would you do it?
Nikongirl likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I can afford that, but based on getting next to no benefit from being 1K for 2022 other than a few domestic upgrades for PPs worth maybe a few hundred dollars, I would not buy that. Probably about two to three times what it is worth to me. Now, if you are in one of those narrow groups able to always use PPs for domestic and particularly international upgrades - I suppose they are out there, but I have not seen that - it might make sense.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kevcmac
I'm 900 PQPs shy of United 1K for 2023. I have the option of buying 1000 PQPs (plus 12K miles) on my last flight of the year for $1300 to get across the 1K threshold. Should I/Would you do it?
Welcome to FT!

How often do you fly in paid F vs Y and try to upgrade? Are you going to be flying more or less next year? Domestic or international? Are you based at a UA hub? I (personally) think you're on the cusp, so the answers to these questions matter.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
This gets asked a bunch, and it's always "depends". Are you going to be flying a lot next year? Are you able to take advantage of the perks? How much do you value pre-boarding, a slightly better chance at upgrades, etc.

For me, yes, I would.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:27 pm

I usually say: “if you have to ask: is it worth it? Then the answer is usually no.”
Rd3 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Probably going to fly less in 2023 vs 2022. Fly out of Denver so my CPU rate has been pretty low. Guess my only reason would be to get the additional plus points, but sounds like they are hard to use as well.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA AA and more
Don't you get one point per spent dollar? So cheaper to get some $900 mileage run flight. the 12K miles are not worth extra $400
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lksf
Don't you get one point per spent dollar? So cheaper to get some $900 mileage run flight. the 12K miles are not worth extra $400
Or buy up to first on your last flight?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

I actually can't squeeze in another trip for a mileage run, but hadn't considered upgrading to first class. Looks like the upgrade cost on the 3 legs to upgrade to first class is $897. Maybe that is the best bet if I want to spend the money.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
No. Full stop.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Plus Points are nearly worthless for GS and utterly worthless for 1K. They have turned out to be one of United's biggest frauds to date. I would not spend an extra dime to get them.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Plus Points are nearly worthless for GS and utterly worthless for 1K. They have turned out to be one of United's biggest frauds to date. I would not spend an extra dime to get them.
PPs are certainly not universally worthless. I have used over 600 PPs this year and exclusively for Polaris upgrades; I have only once in last several years as 1K had a single GPU expire and never had a PP expire.

Decide based on your travel pattern whether or not PPs will be useful for you. If you will likely be able to use your PPs, and get value in return, then certainly is worth the additional spend. Personally I would do it.
jsloan, uanj, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Do the math. Do you expect to save $1.3k over UA Plat in incremental 1K benefits in 2023? In my case I am US$2k short and will likely stay with Plat. By far the benefit I've used the most is increased access to IN award space, which is available to Plats. I will get hit with $50 fee for changing some award tix as Plat ($0 for 1K) but not nearly enough times to come close to $2k. I have been able to use PlusPoints on some international tickets, but availability is scarce and requires flexibility so I do not put a huge value on that.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Artpen100 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
IRROPS handling. This is the one "can't put a value on it" benefit. Each year there are a couple of trips where I'm convinced that the 1K Line or GA treatment made a difference in my getting home timely or otherwise getting out of a jam more effectively. That includes the hotel room for any reason (including WX).
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I am presently sitting in First IAH to EWR due to +P so no they are not worthless. Only passenger to clear. IRROPS and voice line are a big plus as well. Besides, I like to board first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.