Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dealing with / Contacting Customer Care for flight cancellation/delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dealing with / Contacting Customer Care for flight cancellation/delay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
Just for my education, in case I am in this situation someday, the OP actually tried to call AC and could not get through because of excessive wait time - ..
Something to consider in your choice of carriers

- so what is one to do at that point? ...
Deal with the carrier at the airpoert might be the best option

I must say that as a 1K in same situation I would also have called UA as opposed to spending another hour waiting for AC to answer thinking they could help as they issued the ticket but from this thread I have now learned that is a bad move.
Yes and no -- better to deal with the carrier (at the airport if necessary) -- the carrier creating the problem, owns the responsibility to fix
But if the carrier is not owning up, and it is on UA ticket stock, then go to UA and hope your status will get them agree to resolve the issue.
But if you do choose to work with UA or the original carrier, then do one or the other, not both.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
No I didn’t check the United app while on holiday.

Never occurred to me that my return flights could be canceled.

Since this was a UA award redemption using UA miles, damn right I was going to contact UA if I couldn’t get thru to AC.

Like I said the notifications about the flight delay started about 12 hours before the long haul flight. After the third or fourth notification, when the connection time dipped under an hour, I started calling.

Turns out talking to AC agents at airport would have resulted in best advice. So I should have gone to airport at like 2 PM PST? Original departure time was 4:30 PM PST but it ended up being like 7:30 to 8:PM. I left for the hour Uber ride to SFO around 4:45 PM with estimated departure at 7:30 PM, not knowing if it would be delayed again.

The canceled email I only read the subject line, didn’t occur to me it was about canceling the whole booking. I figured it was about the alternate SFO-YVR flight. Never occurred to me that I would be stranded.

And in decades of flying overseas, I still wouldn’t believe an airline would cancel my return, regardless of the circumstances.

If I’d known that’s what UA did, I would have been livid, having to contact UA while on holiday, spending hours to try to sort out the situation.

We will see what they say but if it’s along the lines of “it’s your fault the flight got canceled and you should have known your return flights were canceled and you should always looking out to see if your return flights could be canceled in the future” then I’d be wary about booking witH thEm again.

If they also say that you booked a business ticket but an economy seat is a valid substitute, without clear compensation for the downgrade, I’d think twice about buying business class tickets with them again.

I’ve only booked one flight, in business in April with them. I will be booking more flights for 2023 so I will be very interested in their stance. I’ve mostly been a lowly Gold but I’ve been on MP with tHem for over a decade.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:51 am

I've already replied to most of your ranting, you seem to be frustrated with the policies and your posts come across as taking it out on people here, as if we have any power to change it, when we are just trying to set your expectations based on what the airlines policy is. So I'll only address the new point you brought up.

Originally Posted by frappant
So I should have gone to airport at like 2 PM PST? Original departure time was 4:30 PM PST but it ended up being like 7:30 to 8:PM. I left for the hour Uber ride to SFO around 4:45 PM with estimated departure at 7:30 PM, not knowing if it would be delayed again.
You're going to be disappointed to know, the airlines official policy is you're expected to be there in time for the original departure. So yes, 2PM PST would have been a reasonable time to go to the airport for what was supposed to be a 4:30 PM departure.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and MTan like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by frappant (Post # 47)
I’ve only booked one flight, in business in April with them. I will be booking more flights for 2023 so I will be very interested in their stance. I’ve mostly been a lowly Gold but I’ve been on MP with tHem for over a decade.
What is your lifetime UA mileage, to the nearest 50K miles?

Perhaps you will need to make a decision soon on whether to go for 1MM or not.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by frappant
YOU misunderstood. The agent on 11/4 said NOTHING to me about holding the flight. He said he couldn't get me on that flight until AC released the check in on the record.

THAT agent NEVER said he held the flight for me.

It was the 1K agent on 11/23, whom I contacted when I learned that UA had cancelled the rest of the reservation, said that she thought the other agent "held" the flight to me.

For the UMPTEENTH time, I had trouble reaching AC. By the time I went to the airport to talk to an AC agent, I was told I should board their flight, that I should be able to make it.

The AC web site and phone support, at least on that day, was not a viable route to resolve anything.

How would I know a reservation was made on the alternate flight?

The only communication I had from UA was:

UA phone agent telling me that they could get me on their SFO-YVR flight IF I got AC to release the record so that UA could replace the AC flight with theirs.

I didn't ask AC to do that since the AC agents at SFO encouraged me to take the AC flight to YVR because I should be able to make the connection.

A postscript. I'm waiting to board UA97 at the Air New Zealand lounge at BNE.

I got email over night from United asking whether I'd volunteer to change my flight.

Turns out they downgraded the aircraft.

Well I had checked in online on Nov 24 from Brisbane for a Nov 25 departure.

At check in, the agent said they downgraded the aircraft so they went from a dozen rows in business to 7 rows, which my seat moving up.

They would give me $2250 or 125k miles to take a later flight. I would have to fly to SYD and they'd put me on the SYD-SFO flight in a day or two.

I might have taken the deal but because of this existing situation and the fact that I'm out of some prescription medication I couldn't delay my return.

Will update after I contact Customer Care after I return.
I would be arriving at the airport 3 hrs ahead of the scheduled departure time for intl flights. Did you check for earlier flights? That would have given you time to sort it out at the airport or the lounge. check the app, check the app, check the app. I suppose you can not check itinerary but stuff happens. FT has threads dedicated to that.

The traveler did not insert a duplicate leg. United did. If it was wrong to do that then that is United's incompetence.

OP didn't know a duplicate flight existed so couldn't have boarded it.
Semantics really. OP called UA specifically to request the flight. There is some question whether OP could get checked in but it is clear a reservation was made because a cancelation occurred when a no show happened on the UA segment. What is clear is OP didn't understand the issues of making duplicate reservations on the same PNR.

There was no reason to remember the details. They made the connection and as far as they were concerned there was no concern and problem only known two weeks later. Missing email though seems bizarre.
OK, if we accept that then why is OP blaming UA for the cancellation?

OP did not make the duplicate reservation. United did. OP also did not leave a mess of the reservation. United did. United should be the one who should have cleaned up this reservation or not left a mess in first place. Or assuming OP had requested the change then AC should not have boarded him. As stated the interactions between airlines are complex but it can't be the passenger's responsibility to avoid or fix it. While the savvy FT flyer can do that, overwhelming majority of travelers don't know how to figure their reservation has been messed up, talk less know how to clean it. Airlines should do better and not leave customers' reservations in such state.
I generally agree, ergo why the advice is to check your itinerary. I strongly suspect this was discussed by the first UA agent since they couldn't control the itinerary since it was already checked in by AC. Maybe the OP might have insisted holding firm on the booking. Just a hypothesis. I say this because of gaps in the story missing emails late to the airport etc. I would have tried it, then cleaned it up of course.

Sage advice. That's the biggest take away from OP's experience. Problem arises if you trying to have your cake and eat it. Can't hold on to a booking and try and get a contingency change on same PNR in case original booking doesn't work. OP should have picked one flight and only called if they are definitely requesting a change ( as opposed to calling to explore the possibility). The internet is for research and planning, but you don't call the airline with hypotheticals - that as we see here can result in a messed reservation.

​​​​​​​OP mentioned they were told this when they inquired as to what happened with the reservation.

​​​​​​​
The primary issue here is doing it across two airlines. Good luck with that, best done at the airport in the OPs case

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2022 at 11:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by prestonh
I would be arriving at the airport 3 hrs ahead of the scheduled departure time for intl flights.
Seriously??? I am often still home three hours from scheduled departure and I live an hour from the airport! But that said I hate hanging around airports more than necessary. So with knowledge that the 4.30 flight was delayed to 7.30 due to delay in inbound AC you would still turn up at 1.30?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Seriously??? I am often still home three hours from scheduled departure and I live an hour from the airport! But that said I hate hanging around airports more than necessary. So with knowledge that the 4.30 flight was delayed to 7.30 due to delay in inbound AC you would still turn up at 1.30?
Given the case of the op it could have been there were earlier delayed flights they could have been put on standby at the airport. So yes that is one of the reasons. The other, it's sfo, the other its intl and there are lounges and lines and sometimes you have to sort things out like what happened to the op. I can't understand the folks that turn up at the last minute and expect the world to bend to their every need either.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... So with knowledge that the 4.30 flight was delayed to 7.30 due to delay in inbound AC you would still turn up at 1.30?
Delayed flights have been know to become undelayed. While arriving later may work most of the time, you take a risk waiting.

Plus arriving on-time gives you time to work out alternatives. The probability of a delayed flight getting delayed even more is high.
And perhaps an earlier flight has been delayed or there are alternatives with UA.

All this are my practices for proactive planning in case of delays
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Delayed flights have been know to become undelayed. While arriving later may work most of the time, you take a risk waiting.
Yes I know that - I was just trying to establish whether with knowledge of a three hour delay whether one will still arrive at the airport three hours before the scheduled departure. Different answers denote a particular type of passenger with a view to risk aversion, the premium one attaches to time in an airport or otherwise, tolerance of uncertainty and stress etc. That is important as we take advice on FT as if one is not of similar disposition then the advice would not be practical.

I certainly wouldn't be at any US airport three hours before any flight - including SFO which I have been through numerous times. And if I hear there is a six hours delay, no way will I turn up three hours before and be prepared to spend six hours or more at the airport. I would probably arrive 30 mins before scheduled departure just in case AC magically finds a plane at an outstation to leave on schedule (assuming a delay in inbound). If that is tight and I miss the flight then so be it -would rather miss one flight in 50 for a miscalculated 'non-delay' as opposed to an additional 150 hours sitting in an airport each time I am notified in advance of a delay.

Last edited by ani90; Nov 26, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Post script, UA gave me a $350 voucher, not the total $500 and change for the expenses incurred.

Also got reimbursed for the full amount from the travel insurance. They made me jump through hoops, submitting and resubmitting but in the end they mailed the check which I got today.

So perseverance pays off, at least sometimes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Customer Care Contact

I have a problem re a cancelled flight that requires more space to explain than on UA's online customer care form. Can anyone give me both the e-mail and physical mailing addresses for United's Customer Care Unit?
Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: UA1K
From my experience, brevity is your friend in these situations. If you don't have enough space, you're likely adding too many unnecessary details that will just make it harder for them to process your claim.
BearX220, Steve M, moondog and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
From my experience, brevity is your friend in these situations. If you don't have enough space, you're likely adding too many unnecessary details that will just make it harder for them to process your claim.
There's no way of explaining what occurred and what I need in 200 words. It's not 2000 words. I also need to send documentation. Are they at all responsive by phone without an hour on hold? Phone number direct for Customer Care? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
There's no way of explaining what occurred and what I need in 200 words. It's not 2000 words. I also need to send documentation. Are they at all responsive by phone without an hour on hold? Phone number direct for Customer Care? Thanks.
Have you tried Googling? This shows last updated a month+ ago, so give it a try.

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...ited-airlines/
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Have you tried Googling? This shows last updated a month+ ago, so give it a try.

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...ited-airlines/
The phone number given is UAs reservations number. Don't they have a separate number for Customer Care?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.