Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Award ticket - Checked Bag allowance question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Hello,
I booked two intl United tickets recently.
Trip 1
Seattle - New Delhi (on UA and AI flights)
New Delhi - Seattle (on AI and UA flights)
Booked using UA miles on UA ticket stock on Saver flights.
Checked Baggage allowance is 1 bag of 23kg for the whole journey.

Trip 2
Seattle - Rome (on TK flights)
Rome - Amsterdam (on OS flight)
Amsterdam - Seattle (on UA flights)
Checked Baggage allowance is 2 bags of 23kg for the whole journey.

Usually I have seen 2 bags allowance for US - Asia/India routes but this time that route has only 1 and surprisingly the Europe trip has 2 checked bags allowed for all legs (incl the Rome - Amsterdam).
Wondering have they started giving 2 bags for Europe too?
Thx
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hello,
I booked two intl United tickets recently.
Trip 1
Seattle - New Delhi (on UA and AI flights)
New Delhi - Seattle (on AI and UA flights)
Checked Baggage allowance is 1 bag of 23kg for the whole journey.

Trip 2
Seattle - Rome (on TK flights)
Rome - Amsterdam (on OS flight)
Amsterdam - Seattle (on UA flights)
Checked Baggage allowance is 2 bags of 23kg for the whole journey.

Usually I have seen 2 bags allowance for US - Asia/India routes but this time that route has only 1 and surprisingly the Europe trip has 2 checked bags allowed for all legs (incl the Rome - Amsterdam).
Wondering have they started giving 2 bags for Europe too?
Thx
DOT regulations — your allowance for the entire ticket is determined by the first marketing carrier. On an award flight, the marketing and operating carriers are the same, and if you’re not changing carriers en route to your first stopover, you don’t have to worry about the Most Significant Carrier rule. So if TK offers 2 bags from SEA to FCO, that’s what you get throughout. It has nothing to do with UA.

On trip 1, I’ve never heard of UA delegating, so you should get the UA allowance from SEA to DEL. That appears to be 1x50 lbs. If it was more in the past, perhaps UA has gotten stingier, or perhaps you were flying someone or somewhere else?

Your implicit assumption that baggage is computed by region is incorrect. It’s done on a market-by-market basis; UA may offer 2 bags ro Japan but 1 to India, if that’s what they decide is competitive.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
DOT regulations — your allowance for the entire ticket is determined by the first marketing carrier. On an award flight, the marketing and operating carriers are the same, and if you’re not changing carriers en route to your first stopover, you don’t have to worry about the Most Significant Carrier rule. So if TK offers 2 bags from SEA to FCO, that’s what you get throughout. It has nothing to do with UA.

On trip 1, I’ve never heard of UA delegating, so you should get the UA allowance from SEA to DEL. That appears to be 1x50 lbs. If it was more in the past, perhaps UA has gotten stingier, or perhaps you were flying someone or somewhere else?

Your implicit assumption that baggage is computed by region is incorrect. It’s done on a market-by-market basis; UA may offer 2 bags ro Japan but 1 to India, if that’s what they decide is competitive.
Thanks for your detailed response
I was under the (wrong) impression that on award tickets its also from where /whom we buy the tickets, was not aware of the First marketing carrier rule . Thanks for the info.
Prior redemptions on UA miles have also given 2 pcs bags so I assumed wrongly.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It is the first marketing carrier, and for award tickets, that means the first operating carrier. No codeshares on award tickets.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is the first marketing carrier, and for award tickets, that means the first operating carrier. No codeshares on award tickets.
I rechecked some other dates where UA is the first carrier for the short domestic hop to SFO and then AI is the long international carrier SFO-DEL. In this, it shows 2 bags even though UA is the first carrier and in saver fare.
In my below post, that was also an UA + AI combination for the same route but on a different date and it showed 1 pc bag, so seems there maybe something else too?
Both tickets using UA Award miles.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If starting with UA, any *A status or credit card bag allowance? Note those will not carry over to non-UA return flight.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If starting with UA, any *A status or credit card bag allowance? Note those will not carry over to non-UA return flight.
No *A status nor any credit card bag allowance.
Basically there are two tickets as follows which has same carriers but for different dates and has differing bag allowances. Only difference is a very small domestic India leg (marked in bold below)
Ticket 1 - UA (US Domestic) -> AI (Intl) -> UK (India domestic) -> AI (India domestic) -> AI (India - Singapore) -> UA (Singapore - US) -> UA (US domestic) - 2 pcs bag whole journey
Ticket 2 - UA (US Domestic) -> AI (Intl) -> AI (India domestic) -> AI (India domestic) -> AI (India - Singapore) -> UA (Singapore - US) -> UA (US domestic) - 1 pc bag whole journey.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I rechecked some other dates where UA is the first carrier for the short domestic hop to SFO and then AI is the long international carrier SFO-DEL. In this, it shows 2 bags even though UA is the first carrier and in saver fare.
In my below post, that was also an UA + AI combination for the same route but on a different date and it showed 1 pc bag, so seems there maybe something else too?
Both tickets using UA Award miles.
The DOT regulations on this are clear as mud. Essentially, UA is allowed, but not required, to delegate to AI’s policies at UA’s discretion. That may be what you’re seeing. However, are all of these flights terminating at the same airport? It’s entirely possible that UA has decided to offer 1 bag to DEL but two bags to BLR, or vice versa.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
@OP What was the actual baggage allowance?

I just had an issue with a 016 ticket on EVA air, my e-ticket said 2 checked bags and EVA check in insisted 1 bag. Fortunately I was able to stick to the allowance instead of paying $140 for a checked bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.