Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check a bag at gate and get BG2 (full flights only?)?

Old Nov 20, 22, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Is this new? GA at SFO-LAS flight announced full flight and offered BG2 to those checking bags at gate. Seems like a reasonable carrot - 1) shouldn’t be much competition for overhead space from new BG2ers 2) boarding/disembarkation should be slightly faster. I guess current BG2er might be miffed by influx to their group (from an “exclusivity” standpoint).

If not new, pls move to appropriate thread - just first time I’ve heard it…
Old Nov 20, 22, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Is this new? GA at SFO-LAS flight announced full flight and offered BG2 to those checking bags at gate. Seems like a reasonable carrot - 1) shouldn’t be much competition for overhead space from new BG2ers 2) boarding/disembarkation should be slightly faster. I guess current BG2er might be miffed by influx to their group (from an “exclusivity” standpoint).

If not new, pls move to appropriate thread..
I hear this announcement infrequently. The last time was Thursday at RSW.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Nov 20, 22, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Have heard this announcement about 50% of my recent flights. Oddly, heard it before boarding a MAX, which have the new overhead storage, which has definitely more space.
EWR764, jonisflying and jsloan like this.
Old Nov 20, 22, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
It was offered on UA618 (IAD-TPA) on Saturday morning. Although the offer was a special boarding group - between groups 2 and 3.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 22, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
1) shouldn’t be much competition for overhead space from new BG2ers
The implicit assumption here is that you are giving up your use of the overhead in exchange for early boarding, which is… I guess somewhat preferable? I can’t really see why it’s any better to get on the plane early if you don’t need to make use of the overhead space.

I don’t want to start another thread where people volunteer to add themselves to my ignore list, but if one were to take advantage of this and then go on to put their smaller item in the overhead anyway, negating the entire purpose, I’d be.. nonplussed.
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, AS
How is this enforced? I doubt they re-issue all the BP's with a new group. Do they just allow anyone without a bag, including those who already checked, to board with the group?

I imagine it would miff some folks who paid to check their bag if others who gambled on a gate check for free got boarding priority over them.
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
How is this enforced? I doubt they re-issue all the BP's with a new group. Do they just allow anyone without a bag, including those who already checked, to board with the group?
No, they let people with white tags on their carry on go down the jetway early.

I imagine it would miff some folks who paid to check their bag if others who gambled on a gate check for free got boarding priority over them.
Why? I do not understand the fascination with sitting on the plane when it’s not moving. If you’re not putting anything in the overhead, what is the rush? Especially for the type of flights we’re talking about here — this is generally offered on domestic narrowbodies.
ani90, GWFan and gene2632 like this.
Old Nov 21, 22, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, they let people with white tags on their carry on go down the jetway early.

Why? I do not understand the fascination with sitting on the plane when it’s not moving. If you’re not putting anything in the overhead, what is the rush? Especially for the type of flights we’re talking about here — this is generally offered on domestic narrowbodies.
Thanks for describing the procedure. Sounds like a good attempt at making it work. No one can rip off the tag and board with the carry-on anyway?

It's not necessarily the fascination. I have been in aisle or window seats boarding after the middle pax where the foot well for the middle was much smaller than the aisle or window and had the middle pax put their bag/laptop/purse/whatever in my footwell. I like to avoid conflict so I would just prefer to board before them to avoid it.
Old Nov 21, 22, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 550K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post # 8) View Post
I have been in aisle or window seats boarding after the middle pax where the foot well for the middle was much smaller than the aisle or window and had the middle pax put their bag/laptop/purse/whatever in my footwell. I like to avoid conflict so I would just prefer to board before them to avoid it.
Others take the opportunity to extend their legs and wipe the dust or lavatory fluids from the bottom of their shoes, on the conveniently placed "footrest" (personal item), perhaps jamming one's heels down for extra comfort.

Few footspace poachers who experience that consequence of their actions make this mistake twice.

More conflict-avoidant seatmates can subtly move the misplaced item with their feet, to immediately below the bottom (under the knees) of the correct seat, which will be noticed by a flight attendant.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 21, 22 at 5:44 pm
Old Nov 21, 22, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for describing the procedure. Sounds like a good attempt at making it work. No one can rip off the tag and board with the carry-on anyway?
I mean, sure, they can. However, that leads to someone coming on board the aircraft looking for said miscreant, because the ramp workers are going to notice one fewer gate-checked bag than the computer is telling them, and it’s going to tell them exactly whose bag is missing.

I also saw someone carry it on board with the tag on it, only to be reprimanded by the FA, who was essentially ignored and eventually gave up and took the tag off and gave it to the gate agent to unscan. However, I don’t know that this person had benefited from the early-boarding thing; I don’t recall any announcement on that flight. I think it was just the usual “our court says we’re going to run out of space” thing that the GAs will do proactively.

It's not necessarily the fascination. I have been in aisle or window seats boarding after the middle pax where the foot well for the middle was much smaller than the aisle or window and had the middle pax put their bag/laptop/purse/whatever in my footwell. I like to avoid conflict so I would just prefer to board before them to avoid it.
I’ve never experienced that. I’d be absolutely gobsmacked if I boarded to find someone had put their bag under the seat in front of me. In fact, I might be so confused that I’d call the FA and report it as a lost bag, because it honestly wouldn’t occur to me that anybody would try something like that.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
In Den they are starting a new "policy" where pax who gate check a bag get boarded first.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by n9536j View Post
In Den they are starting a new "policy" where pax who gate check a bag get boarded first.
“First” ? As in before GS, 1Ks etc?
Hard to believe.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Nov 28, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Yes, they called all gate check passengers to stand by the podium along with Handicapped and they went on First before they called GS etc.
Old Nov 28, 22, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
As I get older and more impatient, I would love to see free checked bags and (exorbitant) fees for carryons. I am sure there's math proving me wrong business-wise but I'd rather have people with a bunch of crap waste their time by having to show up early to save money while I save time and stress.
Old Nov 28, 22, 3:17 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select, VIA Preference Preferred, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by n9536j View Post
Yes, they called all gate check passengers to stand by the podium along with Handicapped and they went on First before they called GS etc.
Rewarding a customer who is probably gaming the airlines own system to avoid baggage fees........not impressive.

Search this Thread