Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Markalta
Based in Denver and most travel to hubs, so only 12 PQP this year, and int'l on the decline b/c clients don't like the high costs. I know I will not qualify for Platinum after many years. QUESTION: I have 7555 PQP including 1000 CC PQP. Does the CC 1000 PQP count towards the 7000 threshold for Gold? and when will UA say I have earned Gold?
My version of that site looks slightly different, but if you scroll up you should see Premier Silver and Premier Gold with check marks below them. Mine doesn't shade the bar any differently or in any way separate out the Credit Card PQP vs flying.
Markalta likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrquad
So in 2023 if I use an award ticket for 200K Miles EWR->NRT->BKK....

How is the calculation made on how many PQP I would get for the United flight.

Is it percentage of miles flown on United?
Supposedly, yes, although I think I’ll reserve judgment until I see it.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jrquad
So in 2023 if I use an award ticket for 200K Miles EWR->NRT->BKK....

How is the calculation made on how many PQP I would get for the United flight.

Is it percentage of miles flown on United?
A hidden breakdown of how many miles were associated with United Segment (how would I get this)?
Something else?
I'd like to know that too. It's a difficult trade off. A handful of PQPs vs flying superior partner airlines.

I also assume that any awards booked this year for travel in 2023 will count?

Bummer about them not eligible for lifetime miles.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post # 424)
I also assume that any awards booked this year for travel in 2023 will count?
Yes, awards will earn Premier Qualifying Points (PQP), at 1 per 100 Redeemable Miles (RDM) used per segment, based on the scheduled 2023 (or later) departure date.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, awards will earn Premier Qualifying Points (PQP), at 1 per 100 Redeemable Miles (RDM) used per segment, based on the scheduled 2023 (or later) departure date.
Only for UA award flights. Yet to be resolved is the handling of UA+partner flights - likely pro-rata but awaiting confirmation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by nomad420
Who knows maybe with this move you could actually USE THEM..... After this year I am so over with PPs. As a business traveler with less flexibility I have found them near useless.
Business traveller here. They are useless.

Edit: I would happily trade all my PP for some turbo charged PP that guaranteed an upgrade. Say 10 to 1, 20 to 1, I don't care. Just a small bank of PP that actually produced an immediate upgrade. The hundreds of useless PP I now have are useless.
chavala and WVmike like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Having never been 1K, but hearing a lot of people rave about the 1K desk, I imagine this is mostly just the idea of better IRROPS handling if I end up stuck in a freak snowstorm (particularly relevant given today's snowstorm and meltdown here in Seattle).

And yes, I currently fly ex-SEA about 60% of the time, and ex-IAD the remaining 40%, though next year adds a huge chunk of ex-EWR into the mix.
There is no 1K desk. You cut to the head of the (phone) line. Some are good, some not so good. It's nice perk. But it takes longer than you think on the "1K line".
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:00 am
hch

Originally Posted by cfischer
I wonder if there is more than '1' 1K desk ... I still get stellar phone support.
I sometimes, do but very rarely. Most of the time the agents seem very nice but incompetent and need to talk to their supervisors even for trivial things and take forever to get anything done.
denver19 likes this.

Last edited by hch; Dec 4, 2022 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by denver19

Edit: I would happily trade all my PP for some turbo charged PP that guaranteed an upgrade. Say 10 to 1, 20 to 1, I don't care. Just a small bank of PP that actually produced an immediate upgrade. The hundreds of useless PP I now have are useless.
They are far from useless. And you know there are 'skip the waitlist' upgrades for more +Ps? South America sees them quite a bit.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by denver19
If you are an OPM flyer, you are more likely to be on flights at times that are full of other OPM flyers.

Avoiding those times of day/week and PPlus are far more useful.
jsloan and cfischer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
I’ve been a 1K for 11 years straight. A lot of it earned on LH flights. This year my luck with applying plus points to upg has been awful. 2/22.

I am now sitting on nearly 800 PP, about 200 applied to waitlists for 2023. The only way for me to qualify in 2023 is the 21.5K PQP, with flight and CC earnings.

is there a way to successfully use the PP and see some actual upgrades?
WVmike likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by acader
I’ve been a 1K for 11 years straight. A lot of it earned on LH flights. This year my luck with applying plus points to upg has been awful. 2/22.

I am now sitting on nearly 800 PP, about 200 applied to waitlists for 2023. The only way for me to qualify in 2023 is the 21.5K PQP, with flight and CC earnings.

is there a way to successfully use the PP and see some actual upgrades?
wait, your upgrade rate on LH is 10%? 2/22? How is that possible? Mine is 90% What routes are you flying? I have not heard anything that bad ever from anyone.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Kirby was on CNBC this morning.

Apparently he said business travel has plateaued. Managed corporate travel is down by at least a third.

So not as many consultants flights.

Then of course, the oncoming recession.

Great time to raise thresholds for elite qualification.
CREN likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frappant
Great time to raise thresholds for elite qualification.
I’m almost entirely a leisure traveler. What I’ll say is:

(a) the thresholds, especially for requalification, are much lower than originally published in 2019, taking into account the ability to earn PQP on redemptions
(b) it’s a lot easier to add PQP-boosting promotions if revenue comes in soft than it is to keep the thresholds low if demand does rebound.

UA has been having serious issues trying to balance low corporate demand with an unexpected surge in premium leisure travel, and I don’t think they really know what to expect.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’m almost entirely a leisure traveler. What I’ll say is:

(a) the thresholds, especially for requalification, are much lower than originally published in 2019, taking into account the ability to earn PQP on redemptions
(b) it’s a lot easier to add PQP-boosting promotions if revenue comes in soft than it is to keep the thresholds low if demand does rebound.

UA has been having serious issues trying to balance low corporate demand with an unexpected surge in premium leisure travel, and I don’t think they really know what to expect.
I don't think you need a dime store MBA consultant to figure this out. "Premium leisure travel" is a temporary adjustment to a post-pandemic industry where people are willing to pay up for trips that were denied for 3 years. It's a psychological as well as economic response to being denied certain things. Those trips are mostly one-offs or two-offs - once that demand is exhausted, it's gone. Corporate travel is the meat and potatoes of revenue that can be estimated, projected and reasonably counted on, and the market has made it clear that business travel as it was once known, is gone. Office work as it was once known, is gone. Remote is the new reality, and while it won't replace office work and business travel for everyone, it has, and will continue to depress a significant amount of revenue growth.

The uncertainty of a looming recession, whether or not that recession comes or in what intensity, will further depress business travel and eventually depress the remnants of premium leisure, and all but strangle non-premium leisure.

There is definite turbulence ahead, possibly ugly. United's response is to continue dumbing down the product, and make it harder for loyal customers to justify additional spend as the reality of "it's just not worth it" is becoming the normal thought pattern here, and we are most certainly the canary in the coal mine. Delta takes a different approach by offering a highly desirable product backed by a better service experience - people are willing to direct travel spend to Delta in recognition of this, so Delta feels more comfortable about taking things away from certain customers. American is just United in reverse - making it easier to gain better loyalty tiers, and delivering a better inflight product and experience systemwide but without too many bells and whistles.

Kirby arrogantly thought he knew the market - it will soon become apparent that was not correct.
rmannion, denver19, shza and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.