UA Auto cancel non overlapping trips

Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

UA Auto cancel non overlapping trips

Have two separate itineraries.

- LAX-ICN departing 12/2 arriving 12/4 at 9:35AM
- GUM-HNL departing 12/5 at 820AM

A few days ago I got a warning email about overlapping flights in regards to the above itineraries. The GUM-HNL trip was subsequently auto-canceled. After calling UA, they reinstated my GUM-HNL trip.

Today, for the second time my GUM-HNL trip was auto-canceled for the same reason, and had to call in to get it reinstated. Agent said the itineraries are not overlapping and should not have been canceled.

Is this going to keep on happening every few days? What can I do/UA agents do in order to avoid getting it auto-canceled?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by B747forever
... Agent said the itineraries are not overlapping and should not have been canceled. ...
Agree these are not overlapping, but how do you plan to fly both segments? They do not have to be overlapping if UA feels you do not plan to fly both -- by what ever magic or mistake they come to that conclusion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 6, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If you landed at 9:35am at ICN I only see 1 option from Seoul to Guam that could get someone to Guam in time to make GUM-HNL flight - so while not technically impossible, I could see whey the computer/coding thinks so.

With that said, I don't see a UA routing LAX-ICN leaving 12/2 arriving 12/4 that lands at ICN at 9:35am
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If you landed at 9:35am at ICN I only see 1 option from Seoul to Guam that could get someone to Guam in time to make GUM-HNL flight - so while not technically impossible, I could see whey the computer/coding thinks so.

With that said, I don't see a UA routing LAX-ICN leaving 12/2 arriving 12/4 that lands at ICN at 9:35am
Except it's none of UA business how the pax get from A to B. UA cancelling intinerary is disturbing, even if computer generated.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Except it's none of UA business how the pax get from A to B.
Unless they determine it's physically impossible.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which, in this case, it's not. So I do also find it surprisingly aggressive.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Maybe look it up first? There are multiple options getting from ICN to GUM on Dec 4.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:43 pm

Maybe look it up first? There are multiple options getting from ICN to GUM on Dec 4.
I looked it up - exactly a single option after 9:35am. And the LAX-ICN flight listed doesn't match anything I see on the UA website.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

LAX-ICN isn't on a nonstop flight, going via IST with a long layover.

Also, both times, the agents agreed with me that these itineraries are OK and the system should not have canceled either one. They have put some notes in there, but I have the feeling I will most likely run into the same problem in a few days with another auto cancel.

With it being on two different calendar days and the arrival/departure airports in the same region with plenty of time to make it between the two, I don't know how they have set up their automatic system that it cancels my trip.

Once I get it, but already twice within a week of booking the flights is annoying.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked it up - exactly a single option after 9:35am.
Clearly you haven't looked close enough:

1) OZ106 -> UA197 getting in at 1045pm
2) 7C 3106 nonstop getting into GUM at 135am
3) Several morning flights but transfer times probably too short.

The point here is UA needs to ease off.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked it up - exactly a single option after 9:35am. And the LAX-ICN flight listed doesn't match anything I see on the UA website.
Clearly you haven't looked close enough:

1) OZ106 -> UA197 getting in at 1045pm
2) 7C 3106 nonstop getting into GUM at 135am
3) Several morning flights but transfer times probably too short.

Yes indeed, there are multiple options. But why is one not enough? And for that matter, why are any commercial options required?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes indeed, there are multiple options. But why is one not enough? And for that matter, why are any commercial options required?
With almost 24 hours between the itineraries, I could reach any two points in the world and make the two itineraries. So not sure why UA thinks this is a impossible trip.
ZenFlyer and cuthroat like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:44 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

It could be that some other internal rule is causing the tickets to get cancelled and perhaps the reason given has been coded incorrectly. I would try to escalate this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fumje
There is ONE more option: technically the OP could fly a GS650 private jet ICN-GUM.

It's only 2,001 miles, so this jet could make it within about 4 hours. Plenty of time.

UA is way out of line here.
wxguy, Temedar, Polytonic and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:25 pm

UA has wide discretion to cancel itineraries

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.