Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PP oversold with planned upgrades to Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PP oversold with planned upgrades to Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Learning today! I don't have 160 PlusPoints (two of us) but I do have 60. Question is -- is +$180 & 30 PlusPoints per person a better value than a direct Polaris upgrade of $599? Seems "cheap" for TATL. But daytime flight I guess makes it worth a little less.
Not the best deal to use 180+30pp, but $599x2 is different for everone. Are you PP rich and cash poor (relatively), or the opposite? i.e. which would you miss more, $360 and 60pp or $1200
zeus2120 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Learning today! I don't have 160 PlusPoints (two of us) but I do have 60. Question is -- is +$180 & 30 PlusPoints per person a better value than a direct Polaris upgrade of $599? Seems "cheap" for TATL. But daytime flight I guess makes it worth a little less.
If my math is correct, 30 PPs are worth $420. It is very good redemption value, unless you will have a better use of these 60 PPs before they expire.
zeus2120 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would never spend money to save confirmable pluspoints for an undetermined future possible usage.

The only reason not to use them here would be if you have another flight with open PZ now for which you could get better $/+P ratio.
zeus2120, Kacee, jsloan and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Another upgrade processed and PremPlus is now 22/22

(multiple) Op-up looking less likely. Wonder what cash upgrades for PremPlus to Polaris are? Only half checked in.

GRA,J should be upgraded on checkin and good opportunities for NRSA
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

(multiple) Op-up looking less likely. Wonder what cash upgrades for PremPlus to Polaris are? Only half checked in.

I'm traveling with a family member who is in Premium. Her Polaris upgrade is $899. I'm in E+ and mine is $599. On my upgrade page, it shows 12 Premium seats available for upgrade and 15 Polaris available for upgrade. Interesting!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... it shows 12 Premium seats available for upgrade and 15 Polaris available for upgrade. ...
Note those numbers are not independent. A take of one, will decrease the other. UA is playing with 15 seats -- either direct upgrades or overbooking PremPlus.
zeus2120 and jsloan like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

You're using the website which, as we all know, frequently shows the # of seats booked incorrectly. PremPlus on this flight is booked to 21, not 22. Edit: website reflects 21 now as well.

GRA, J is almost definitely a non-rev as well and will appear on the standby list as soon as they check in. Recently (at least 2 months, maybe longer), international pax who are NRSA will appear on the upgrade lists sometimes days ahead of time but they don't appear on the actual standby list until they are checked in. I see this happen over and over. So they won't get upgraded when they check in but rather at T-60m or T-45m when the gate agent starts processing NRSA.

-RM
jsloan and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Another question that is slightly off topic, but kind of still relevant. I just cleared an upgrade on my first leg and my spouse is next on the upgrade list. Therefore, our confirmations have now been split. Never been in this position before but my upgrade causing the reservation to split kinda causes headaches down the line. Now, my upgrade price to Polaris on EWR-LHR is different than my wife's. Before, I could upgrade us both for $599 each. Now mine is $599 and hers is $999. Additionally, because of the upgrade on leg one, I can no longer "same day change" because my fare class is no longer available. So in theory, is there any work around to these issues without having to get on the phone with United should I want to upgrade us both to Polaris or change flights? Surprised there is no better way.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Another question that is slightly off topic, but kind of still relevant. I just cleared an upgrade on my first leg and my spouse is next on the upgrade list. Therefore, our confirmations have now been split. Never been in this position before but my upgrade causing the reservation to split kinda causes headaches down the line. Now, my upgrade price to Polaris on EWR-LHR is different than my wife's. Before, I could upgrade us both for $599 each. Now mine is $599 and hers is $999. Additionally, because of the upgrade on leg one, I can no longer "same day change" because my fare class is no longer available. So in theory, is there any work around to these issues without having to get on the phone with United should I want to upgrade us both to Polaris or change flights? Surprised there is no better way.
United has a record of the buy-up offer price you were given. There's a chance, though not a very high one, that they would honor the $599 upgrade fee for both passengers if you explain what happened. It's worth a shot if you're truly interested in spending the $1,200.

As for SDC...you can do this via phone because the app is looking for itineraries that have the same "booked" (not "paid") fare class now for your segments. So some combination of PZ + W/S/L/T/whatever. Since close-in PZ is mostly non-existent on every route it's going to make automated SDC via the app difficult. An agent can do this for you more simply assuming your original fare class is available on the flights you want.

-RM
zeus2120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.