Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BThumme
I booked my earlier CLE-ORD-HND flight, but can't apply PP upgrades - it says my reservation is inelgible for an upgrade.
Same thing happed to my friend, their YYZ-TYO ticket was booked into standard economy but website won't allow him to apply PP.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrades
My spouse just got a schedule change email.
Well, this sounds like something did actually improve…can’t remember the last time I got one of those.

Last night I did actually have a schedule change - well, really, just flight number change. I booked via UA site, and got nothing - though change was flagged in app. Wife is on same flight but used UR points, and she got the email - that’s how I found out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 20, 2022 at 11:31 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I lost partner legs on 2 award flights and they claimed they were cancelled and the partner said they werent.

They wont rebook me, this is AWFUL. I am stuck and have to pay revenue now on a quick turn .BOMB screws me again
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Sitting in the MUC LH lounge watching multiple people jump ahead of me on the upgrade list and clearing. I take screenshots to check my place and those names previously did not appear. There were more than 2 Polaris seats available at T-2 (up to T-24), yet as #1 on the upgrade list and 1K, I cannot seem to clear. I'm watching each seat dwindle with new names magically clearing. Not sure if this is related, but it's frustrating. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
Sitting in the MUC LH lounge watching multiple people jump ahead of me on the upgrade list and clearing. I take screenshots to check my place and those names previously did not appear. There were more than 2 Polaris seats available at T-2 (up to T-24), yet as #1 on the upgrade list and 1K, I cannot seem to clear. I'm watching each seat dwindle with new names magically clearing. Not sure if this is related, but it's frustrating. Am I missing something?
If those names showing cleared now were not on the list at all previously, most likely explanation they are buying up at check-in. For some reason the system may display those as cleared upgrades, which is rather confusing.

How many such names have appeared?

Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:35 am

Thanks @fumje - 3 names have appeared as cleared that were not previously on the list (at least in the top 15). I didn't think day of departure paid upgrades showed on the list? Would be nice to clear at T-24 when more than 2 seats were available, haven't had a T-96 in some time. 30 minutes until boarding, so we'll see if anything shakes out.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks @fumje - 3 names have appeared as cleared that were not previously on the list (at least in the top 15). I didn't think day of departure paid upgrades showed on the list? Would be nice to clear at T-24 when more than 2 seats were available, haven't had a T-96 in some time. 30 minutes until boarding, so we'll see if anything shakes out.
They do sometimes, but I'm not sure when/why.

Also I would say at T-24h you usually do get the upgrades cleared down to J2, but for assorted reasons sometimes that doesn't happen. Of course in this case it probably didn't happen specifically because you were 1. on the list.

I guess we know what you'll be doing for the next 30 minutes!
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:54 am

So 4 people from the invisible list cleared and now #2 and #3 on the visible list just cleared into the 9D/9F bulkhead and I remain #1. I think I'm going crazy.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be time to talk to GA?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
So 4 people from the invisible list cleared and now #2 and #3 on the visible list just cleared into the 9D/9F bulkhead and I remain #1. I think I'm going crazy.
I have seen that before.

My friend CHE, Y was No.1 on upgrade list one hour before departure.

However, No.2 and No. 3 were cleared upgrades at the gate about 20 min before take-off.

GA went on board to move No. 2 and No.3 sitting in coach to Polaris.

Why?
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Found another bug in case someone is tracking these from or on behalf of UA.

Booked a coach one-way yesterday TPA-EWR ($99 in Y vs $1,479 in F), applied +points. I previously posted about an error I got with the +points search, with picking E+ seats as 1k.

Today, I checked the website for any buy-up offer and it was $199, so I took it obviously since this route is almost ALWAYS full in first. I checked out with my purchase and click the "select my seats" button. My old E+ seat is still shown and when I pick a seat in F and "save", it sends me to a check-out page to pay the $199 again. I already got my receipt via email from the purchase so I close the window, go back to the home page, click "my trips" and go to the itinerary. Seat 1A was auto chosen for me, so I click that and it takes me again to the seat map where I move it to what I want, and it saves without issue.

It's truly crazy how many things have gone wrong with this "upgrade".... I'm sure UA will sort it out -- I think their site and app is/was excellent. But, wow...
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Might be time to talk to GA?
@fumje - I did ask the GA when 6 people had cleared and she said that "nobody had cleared and that I was #1 on the list. I showed her the upgrades on the app and she shrugged. They called about 6 names at the gate to give them paper boarding passes, so I'm not inclined to think these are paid upgrades.
@kb1992 - exact same scenario as your screenshots show.

Probably best for my sanity to simply keep the app/website closed (not refresh maniacally) and see if they hand a paper upgrade while boarding.

For this thread's sake, the app and the website mostly mirrored each other during these events. The upgrade shenanigans thread might be more relevant, but it does feel like something changed with the most recent IT update as my experience with the upgrade list integrity had been pretty reliable.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by BOSskier
I just tried to change an award flight, and although it took two supervisors to OK the change (it was in fact legitimate), I was then told United's IT system is currently unable to process changes, for whatever that's worth. (The ticket is international and involves partners.)
Seems to still be the case. I'm trying to change a US-Europe award ticket with LH segments, and the search page (from "change flights") says "no results found". But a de novo search (as if booking new ticket) shows availability. Frustrating, the ability to change award tickets on the app/site was one of the best features.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by marks88
Seems to still be the case. I'm trying to change a US-Europe award ticket with LH segments, and the search page (from "change flights") says "no results found". But a de novo search (as if booking new ticket) shows availability. Frustrating, the ability to change award tickets on the app/site was one of the best features.
Not sure if this helps, but I was able to call in Wednesday night (EST) and manually have the change made. It was an entirely new routing plus a new partner, so at least maybe the award ticketing system is functional and it's the interface that isn't. It did take a while to do, but it was a pieced together routing since it didn't show on the app or website as an option (USA > Africa).
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My Android phone downloaded a new version of the United app yesterday and my previous problems seems to have been corrected.
ZenFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.