Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
UA has eliminated website ability of searching PZ/PN under PP upgrade through this IT "upgrade"
Were you logged in? I noticed that the option to search for PP Upgrade shows up if logged in.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
Were you logged in? I noticed that the option to search for PP Upgrade shows up if logged in.
I logged in. But PP Upgrade option is not there (only Mileage Upgrade)
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
I logged in. But PP Upgrade option is not there (only Mileage Upgrade)
It shows for me still. If you try doing a regular one-way search and then add
Code:
&ut=POINTS
to the url, does it display the PP results?

However, not much value to doing that, since expert mode seems to be completely gone from website.

There are so many things wrong with the website right now I'm not going to bother trying to enumerate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
I originated a flight this morning during the upgrade time and can confirm my mobile boarding pass worked as usual (had them in Apple Wallet and screenshots as backup). Not sure what was deployed, but fortunately, no hiccups and first flight was early. Happy to report no disruption.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fumje
It shows for me still. If you try doing a regular one-way search and then add

Code:
&ut=POINTS

to the url, does it display the PP results?

However, not much value to doing that, since expert mode seems to be completely gone from website.

There are so many things wrong with the website right now I'm not going to bother trying to enumerate.
Ok, I logged out then logged in again, and do see PP option.

You are right, there isn't much value since we can't see anything.

UA IT "Upgrade" usually isn't good news.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
expert mode seems to be completely gone from website.
I'm willing to bet that's intentional. I suspect United got tons of DYKWIS (Do You Know What I See) calls from people who either don't know how to interpret the numbers or who use the numbers to argue with the phone agents.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm willing to bet that's intentional. I suspect United got tons of DYKWIS (Do You Know What I See) calls from people who either don't know how to interpret the numbers or who use the numbers to argue with the phone agents.
But the numbers are still available in the App?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Interesting that there is no mention of what is being improved if anything. "Upgrade" usually means something is being improved but I've learned that isn't always the case at UA
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Nothing looks different. Can’t wait for the sleuths to detect and report here. :-)
There was nothing customer facing to this maintenance. It was a back end infrastructure change to move management/storage of MileagePlus account data/currencies into a single unified system, instead of the 3-4 different applications that the data previously resided in, had to be managed through and maintained.. Most likely the new system has existed for a good chunk of time, and presumably mirroring all transactions from the legacy systems into the new system over that time frame. The maintenance would be to take the old systems offline, ensure all the remaining changes from the old system had mirrored into the new system, and then update the links for other applications to now interact with the new loyalty system instead of the old interfaces.

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Harder to argue with phone agents when you simultaneously need to be using your phone to look at the app?
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Only until the next app update... I'm turning off auto-updates for now
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I had multiple folks whose tickets I booked and applied plus points to traveling today and they vanished from the waitlist. great system updates, UA.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I had multiple folks whose tickets I booked and applied plus points to traveling today and they vanished from the waitlist.
Maybe they cleared?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe they cleared?
They did not.

Edit: For context
- Itinerary 1 had two segments. Shorter segment cleared well in advance. Long leg might have cleared at gate but hard to tell because pax was dropped from the waitlist (at least the visible waitlist - maybe he was still there). PPs burned on a <2hr segment.
- Itinerary 2 had a single segment. Pax 2 did not show on waitlist.
- Itinerary 3 was identical as itinerary 2 but pax still showed on waitlist. It was my 1mm companion though so assuming she was showing on the waitlist by virtue of her companion status.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist
Advanced search is still not working for at least 3 segments:

Your united.com session timed out. Any transactions for which you have received confirmation during the session are not affected, however you must restart any searches or any incomplete transactions. If you were signed into your account, you'll need to sign in again.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Healthcare?
Amazingly, no ... telecom.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monksy
This is an indication that they don't know what they're doing, and they haven't for a while.

These kinds of upgrades should happen seamlessly. However... business people.
Sorry, but its absolutely ridiculous to level such a charge unless youre intimately familiar with the project.

If the system was designed to be updated without downtime, thats one thing. But if it wasnt, it can be extremely difficult (read: prohibitively expensive) to update it in place. If the work being done is whats been suggested consolidating several databases into one most project plans would call for a maintenance window, because otherwise youd run a real risk of getting transactions out of order, displaying stale data, etc. And the older the system being replaced is, the worse of an idea it is to try to take shortcuts.

United IT is far from perfect, but they deserve a pass here, at least as far as requiring a maintenance window goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.