Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

MileagePlus IT Upgrade - 15-16 Oct 2022 -- Multi issues / broken functionality

Old Oct 14, 22, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Will print my boarding passes. I have a flight originating during the "upgrade" - fingers crossed it all goes well. Hopefully expert mode on desktop browser comes back.
Old Oct 14, 22, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Good thing I'm flying DL this weekend.
Not flying with UA either. Flying with AS this weekend.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 14, 22, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
"United IT" and "upgrade" are two terms that never belong together. I wouldn't be surprised to see all systems down for a week due to inadequate testing.
roberto99 and higher_flyer like this.
Old Oct 14, 22, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer View Post
Will print my boarding passes. I have a flight originating during the "upgrade" - fingers crossed it all goes well. Hopefully expert mode on desktop browser comes back.
I would think if you added them to Apple Wallet beforehand, you should be good. Can always print at airport if need be.
Old Oct 15, 22, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
I would think if you added them to Apple Wallet beforehand, you should be good. Can always print at airport if need be.
Or screenshot the mobile boarding pass in the app.
kevino, SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.
Old Oct 15, 22, 3:07 am

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
This is an indication that they don't know what they're doing, and they haven't for a while.

These kinds of upgrades should happen seamlessly. However... business people.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 22, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
This is an indication that they don't know what they're doing, and they haven't for a while.

These kinds of upgrades should happen seamlessly. However... business people.
Or they just don't care. Though I suppose not caring is a sign of not knowing you're doing if you're running a business
Old Oct 15, 22, 12:27 pm

Without getting too specific on the indicators for this (partially due to my own limited level of knowledge, partially due to value of discretion), it appears they are working on having a more universal authentication method before allowing access to any systems, both for MP users and for their own company devices. To cite examples discussed here on FT, I think this is related to the broken expert mode, the repeated "secret questions" on login, and to the last several months' gradual removal of "unconventional" ways to pull information, such as the PNR viewer. Caveat that I could be misunderstanding some things, as I generally have 0 interest in IT.

So while I don't think this update has direct ramifications for MP, I can imagine they're not going to get everything changed over correctly at first, and we'll all be dealing with the update for a while longer than just overnight. Let's see. 😬
Old Oct 15, 22, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold
I made an award change on Monday which errored. Flight changes were made but I didn’t get the points refund for the difference (went from partner to United). Rep told me today that it was due to a “technical and maintenance issue” which would be resolved by tomorrow morning. IF this is true and not BS, maybe this is why the outage is happening, to fix whatever the issue is. Of course it could also be an excuse.
Old Oct 15, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Such negativity on upgrades - UA is continually upgrading the mobile app and, in my opinion, keep enhancing what is already a best in class app.
Old Oct 15, 22, 3:33 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
the repeated "secret questions" on login
I'm good with systems down all night if this alone is fixed.
ZenFlyer and threecap like this.
Old Oct 15, 22, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp View Post
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
the repeated "secret questions" on login
I'm good with systems down all night if this alone is fixed..
Is it not presently working for you? It is for others,
UA IT issue: Required security questions/authentication every logon, -- Fixed?
Old Oct 15, 22, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Such negativity on upgrades - UA is continually upgrading the mobile app and, in my opinion, keep enhancing what is already a best in class app.
I agree the app is continually great, but that is comparing apples and oysters.

If they feel taking a system offline is needed for migration thats a lot more to worry about than them pushing non-systems-critical client (app) code through an automated build pipeline.

Its like a restaurant. Apps, web browsers are the front of the house and can add or remove tables & menus without disruption. You can still get your food and drinks from the bar or takeaway. But when you need to add or change the kitchen equipment in back (and dont have space to just build a new section for it) no one is getting food that relies on that equipment.

It should go well, but there is still a much greater chance of blowing the place up when changing out the vital pieces needed to make the food than there is in changing the menus or decor out. I think thats what the concern is. I dunno what they are changing but if migrating from a legacy system on Uniteds scale that they feel needs downtime, so many things can go wrong - especially since the change may still have to interact with other legacy systems - good luck to them though.
SPN Lifer and leoo like this.
Old Oct 15, 22, 8:01 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by random.parts View Post
I dunno what they are changing
Maybe they're moving from a 386 to a 486.
Old Oct 15, 22, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Make them all fly AA exclusively for a month to see how bad airline IT can be.

UA does though have a tendency to break things when it makes significant changes to the website. The app is more of a success story - and now the go-to for most of us, I think.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Air Houston like this.

Search this Thread