Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing 1K - stay UA loyal or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I’m in a similar situation. But I’ve never taken a flight on UA just for status. I fly what makes the most sense, and often buy F. Out of DC, that is often UA. AA, DL and AS occasionally. I should still make Plat.

On international out of IAD, since the pandemic, I buy discount business class or upgrade with miles. UA has been overpriced and had no PZ at booking. I’ve flown mostly BA and AF. I could have flown UA and made 1K, but it would have either cost me another $12,000 for the year or I’d have been in economy. I’m happy with my choices.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by artvandalay
As soon as I reached 1MM, I stopped flying UA internationally. Gold, Jerry.

FT has plenty of testimonials about how the status of 1K and GS is eroding, so why bother, especially if you pay for J? As OP put it, "screw status." Enjoy OAL.
This, x1000.

Originally Posted by mfirst
As I have said previously - I think the thing with status is - the more your travel, the more you appreciate the little things that come with it that make it worthwhile. Sure, if you pay F for everything then status probably doesnt matter as much, but most of us dont (or cant) - and I bet, in the end - being 1k at a hub will make you appreciate those softer things much more.
Once you have *Gold for life, what benefits do you get as a UA 1K that you wouldn't otherwise get, especially if you're buying J on other carriers? United's horrible boarding process that has you boarding after people who need extra time to board, families with children, members of the armed forces and GS flyers? If UA is the cheapest option/best routing, fly UA. If it isn't, fly with other airlines. If you were buying something other than J, I can see the utility of pursuing 1K, but as a former 1K, there is no way I'd be striving to maintain 1K status with UA these days. The value proposition just isn't there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2022 at 2:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by halls120
United's horrible boarding process that has you boarding after people who need extra time to board, families with children, members of the armed forces and GS flyers?
Why do you regard it as horrible if someone with disabilities or children boards before a 1K? What do you think should be the ideal boarding order to demonstrate appropriate attention to the 1K group?
chavala and WVmike like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ani90
Why do you regard it as horrible if someone with disabilities or children boards before a 1K? What do you think should be the ideal boarding order to demonstrate appropriate attention to the 1K group?
Because United’s complete inability to control what goes on at their boarding gates is patently ridiculous. On other airlines, for example LH group, when I buy a business class ticket, I board after people with disabilities, and I have no problem with that. Partially because LH group boarding gates process those people quickly and efficiently, and then they board people sitting in business or their high status customers. At United you have to wait for families with children - sometimes they actually enforce the small children part of the process - and active duty military.

If United had retained the premerger process of having a dedicated red carpet lame for first, business, GS, and 1K customers, I would have no problems with the United boarding process.

If I’m spending $4000 for a business class ticket boarding should be easy and uncomplicated, not the current united process which at some airports like IAD and EWR which replicate a rugby scrum.
kb1992, lhrsfo, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
As someone who can almost never use my PPs, and hasn't had a CPU in over 3 years, I don't see any significant value in 1K over Gold. Gold is very valuable for international lounge access, E+ at booking, and 2x70lbs baggage. However, I am almost always in paid F domestically and for that, 1K is meaningless. Internationally, I buy the cheapest J ticket, regardless of carrier. If I can find PZ, I will book it, but that is a very tough proposition these days. Also, when you are in paid F/J on another carrier, you are treated as well or better than as a 1K on UA. In fact, in J on ANA or THAI, I am treated far better than I'm ever treated on a UA flight.

I think that free agency is the way to go. Now, if things should change to where more PZ inventory is being made available or STW comes back, this value analysis goes out the window. The value of 1K/GS hinges primarily on one thing; being able to use your PPs.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 3, 2022 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
However, I am almost always in paid F domestically and for that, 1K is meaningless. Internationally, I buy the cheapest J ticket, regardless of carrier.

I think that free agency is the way to go.

The value of 1K/GS hinges primarily on one thing; being able to use your PPs.
This advice applies though only to the 1K who like you fly paid F and J for almost all flights. Most 1Ks do not fall into this bucket. For someone who almost always flies in paid J and F the incremental value of any frequent flyer program is minimal. For 1Ks who cannot or do not buy F and J fares routinely, the benefit of 1K status goes way beyond PPs...
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ani90
This advice applies though only to the 1K who like you fly paid F and J for almost all flights. Most 1Ks do not fall into this bucket. For someone who almost always flies in paid J and F the incremental value of any frequent flyer program is minimal. For 1Ks who cannot or do not buy F and J fares routinely, the benefit of 1K status goes way beyond PPs...
Perhaps you're missing my point. I don't want to pay for domestic F and international J, I used to be able to use GPUs/RPUs/SWUs/e-500 certs for that purpose. Now, with PPs, I have no choice because finding PZ space is extremely difficult. I can remember a stretch from around 2000 until 2018 where I had a 100% international UG rate. Those were the days!

What is the purpose of chasing 1K status if not to increase your UG chances?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I think it is a double-edged sword - when I look for alternative flights for where I want to go and need to go, it still seems UA is the best option - and, especially having status, I think gives me more options (and comfort) if things so sideways and not just the upgrade options. For example, I have recently been doing a few OGG-LAS (and back) flights for work. Hawaiian and Southwest have non-stops that might be an option, I think AA and DL have options, but UA has a bunch of LAS-SFO/LAX-OGG options - being 1K with UA helps a lot if I want/need to change or if something happens that prevents me from getting to work on time - vs if there is an issue with the limited Hawaiian/SW 1x/daily options - and having no status with them - out of luck.....
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by docbert
TK is also horrible when it comes to using miles. Not only do they expire based on when they were earned, but they are difficult to book, have higher fees than UA, and their website/app are just horrible.
I cannot more heartily agree with this observation. Trying to use their miles for *A purchases has been an absolute nightmare. Their customer service has been like banging my head against the wall, save emailing American branches (Houston office is great) to help with these bookings--and sometimes only to have the computer system freeze and everything go to crap.

Unrelatedly, two of my worst TATL flights in the past two years has been on TK, though for where my work takes me in the Caucasus, there are few choices right now that make sense in terms of time and cost than TK. But if I had other options that were as direct as TK, I'd take them.
sharmaintl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Perhaps you're missing my point. I don't want to pay for domestic F and international J, I used to be able to use GPUs/RPUs/SWUs/e-500 certs for that purpose. Now, with PPs, I have no choice because finding PZ space is extremely difficult. I can remember a stretch from around 2000 until 2018 where I had a 100% international UG rate. Those were the days!

What is the purpose of chasing 1K status if not to increase your UG chances?
I understood you fully. What I am saying is most 1Ks do not have that option you have of seeking and paying for F or J (in the absence of upgrades). So your advice only applies to those who have ability to systematically pay for F and J. For the majority of 1Ks who lack either willingness or ability to pay for F and J they will derive much more benefit from 1K than a passenger like yourself who pays for F and J. There are substantial benefits of 1K, beyond just upgrades, but several of those benefits would be largely redundant if one is already paying for F or J on most flights.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Who would you fly to Europe out of IAD?
Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian and Brussels Air fly out of IAD. And UA of course. So lots of *A options.
kirkwoodj and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
maybe I am missing something - but, having done it a bunch of times - flying TATL out of IAD isnt that bad?
why the hate?
(and EWR or ORD is better?)
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:44 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
and Emirates for well, Emirates).
I am not sure EK is that great in J.
It has a good halo due to F class bling. QR J is far better and gets OW status on AA
EK miles like TK and SQ expire at 3 yrs and the add on fees are worse than BA and they devalued twice with no warning.

TK customer service is nonexistent.

From IAD you are stuck with UA domestic most likely. AND with lots of choices for *A you may make it to 1k with no effort.
If paid Intl J with OPM (other people's money) and *A is not ideal then enjoy ST or OW or anyother.

I am keeping my UA status barely this year and will renew UA early next year just for *A gold and the many intl benefits
For domestic I fly AA or DL, esp the latter - far better planes and travel experience even with a 1 stop from DC area.
sharmaintl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
maybe I am missing something - but, having done it a bunch of times - flying TATL out of IAD isnt that bad?
why the hate?
(and EWR or ORD is better?)
Yes, ORD is wayyyy better than IAD!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:57 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
why the hate? (and EWR or ORD is better?)
ORD is certainly better - the moving walkways are fine between UA terminals.
Try getting to UA gates at IAD - the train after security stops half a mile away and then you get to a terminal and have to walk laterally again
The only good gates are at A and B at IAD - that is mosly other international airlines - C & D gates are atrocious
Even the A1-6 gates are better than C & D

Getting out of town DCA is best - even though the new security arrangement makes you walk a bit more and it takes a while, esp to the new AA gates
DL at DCA is fine. Even UA is better at DCA - the walk is minimal compared to IAD
The metro stops close by and not another half mile out of airport, as at IAD.

DL has a tremendous advantage at ATL just due to airport gate layout
sharmaintl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.