Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Due to service workers strike 27 Sept 2022-limited F&B, UCs &retail operations at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Due to service workers strike 27 Sept 2022-limited F&B, UCs &retail operations at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would never re-route due to lounge issues. First world problem for sure.
fwfdan, Boraxo, telemark27 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by leftysauce
Tough for my friend and I'm flying through SFO in two days with an 8 hour layover 🤦
There are lots of things to do outside of the airport given the time allowance.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had a 8 hour layover.
cczzll likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would never re-route due to lounge issues. First world problem for sure.
Fair enough, but its not just lounges. Just lounges are one thing (I barely consider Centurion lounge, esp. at SFO, as an Amex benefit anymore due to the inability to get in without a long wait). Restaurants and lounges closed are a bigger beast. We always bring some of our own food (especially for long flights), but mostly snack-type things - since we typically travel with 4, we usually opt to eat at airport because its much less of a PITA than bringing a meal for 4 with us.

Plus, we are often out of SFO early morning (esp. to go east), and so lack of being able to grab a coffee is basically a non-starter.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Tough for my friend and I'm flying through SFO in two days with an 8 hour layover 🤦

Do you/they like craft beer & uppity/condescending bartenders? You're in luck! Get on BART & get your drink on!
cczzll likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Do you/they like craft beer & uppity/condescending bartenders? You're in luck! Get on BART & get your drink on!
Hmm. You could find out if FTers in the Bay Area would like to get together as well: SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Meetup/Happy Hour

David
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
We are not going to SFO tomorrow early to use lounge unless anything changes.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Getting temp workers probably isn't a viable option either.
Yep. Unlike almost any other food service location, an airport is vulnerable to a strike since any replacement workers would need to be fingerprinted, background checked, and badged. There's no way they can replace any significant portion of the workers on short notice.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Return2flight like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Looks like you can but water and maybe a few snacks like chips at Hudson News by gate F1. There are also a few vending machines.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Is any travel waiver issued? United should not starve your friend.
nope no waivers issued and just an warning email. Tried to move my flight up a little so I can spend less time in SFO but the offshore supervisor insisted fare difference will apply since there is no waiver 🤷
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by skylane
Will UA reroute me since the SFO Polaris lounge is closed due to a strike? Flying SAN-SFO-LHR-ZRH upgraded to Polaris. 3 hour layover at SFO. I can't do a 24 hour standby change since I have a Swiss leg (LHR-ZRH).
Originally Posted by jsloan
I mean, call and ask, I guess? It's not an unreasonable request; I just don't know that it's come up before.
Originally Posted by ericTcartman
I just called to re-route SAN>LHR via IAH tomorrow instead of SFO. No problem...took about 5 mins.
Originally Posted by skylane
OP here. Rerouted from SAN-SFO-LHR-ZRH to SAN-EWR-ZRH. Yeah, I'll be stuck in E+ on the domestic leg but three hours at a packed SFO UC didn't strike my fancy...

Took 27 minutes to get rebooked... They did it as a one off favor for a 1K.
have an 8 hour layover and tried to move my connecting flight up a little but the premier desk agent and offshore supervisor won't budge 🤷
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I walked around this afternoon in the E and F concourses. Not all the restaurants were closed (a tiny few were open). Ladle and Leaf was open initially but it closed when I walked back that way 20+ minutes later. The coffee robot did not go on strike

I thought UA did a nice job by notifying us and offering free snacks and drinks - it was outside the UC by the E concourse when I walked around. It seemed they might have tried to set one up at the Customer Service Center in the high F concourse but I am not sure.

The UA employees said they didn't know how long this could last. I stood next to the picket line for a while and they sounded angry.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and leftysauce like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One BART stop south is Millbrae. Went there when I had a significant layover at SFO in December. Met some friends at Ben Tre, a short walk from BART station. Solid Vietnamese food, good selection of bottled beer. 8 hours at airport would drive me up wall, even w/ lounges available. When I was there, they had curbside tables - not sure if that was a pandemic setup or not.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was at SFO tonight, UC near the F gates is open, staffed by management employees. The only entry restriction is no day passes. Service was normal for food and drinks. However, I heard the guy working the bar tell two different customers who were looking for complicated mixed drinks “we’re not really bartenders, we’re just winging it” So if you are particular about your drinks, keep that in mind.
Doppy, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SJCPremier
….“we’re not really bartenders, we’re just winging it”…..
So there’s not much change from before the strike?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SJCPremier
I was at SFO tonight, UC near the F gates is open, staffed by management employees. The only entry restriction is no day passes. Service was normal for food and drinks. However, I heard the guy working the bar tell two different customers who were looking for complicated mixed drinks “we’re not really bartenders, we’re just winging it” So if you are particular about your drinks, keep that in mind.
"Just the bottle, please"

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.