Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Bar hours in UA lounge on Sunday at ORD

Bar hours in UA lounge on Sunday at ORD

Old Sep 23, 22, 4:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Posts: 230
Question Bar hours in UA lounge on Sunday at ORD

I get into ORD on Sunday at 8am and have a 3 hour layover. I know the lounge is open but what time do they start serving alcohol on a Sunday? It doesn't specify in the app, nor could I find anything concrete with a google search...

Thanks!
karatelovr is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United GS, *wood LT Plat
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by karatelovr View Post
I get into ORD on Sunday at 8am and have a 3 hour layover. I know the lounge is open but what time do they start serving alcohol on a Sunday? It doesn't specify in the app, nor could I find anything concrete with a google search...

Thanks!
Dont know when they start but you shouldnt have any issues at that time.
lilpisher is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,881
If ORD is like LAX or SFO - they open the bar at roughly 6am
HNLbasedFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:16 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,951
I know there was discussion at some point about the opening time of the bar in EWR on Sundays probably due to outdated local laws in Newark and/or Elizabeth (I think term A is Elizabeth and B/C in Newark). Have not seen it discussed in a while, but I seem to recall they couldnt serve before 11 or noon - at least in the past - not sure if it is still the case. Have not heard about this in other jurisdictions (in terms of lounges having to wait until a specific time to serve).

there are other weird laws - they cant serve alcohol on the ground onboard in Canada unless they procure/pay tax on it there - so I guess AC will but UA wont (because why cater alcohol at higher prices and double the tax when you can double-cater from US and just not serve for like an extra half-hour.).
emcampbe is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 8:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,118
ORD is 7a.
AirbusFan2B and SPN Lifer like this.
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
ORD is 7a.
Even on Sunday?
cranky1K is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:01 pm
  #7  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Posts: 3,902
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
ORD is 7a.
Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
Even on Sunday?
Its at least 7 - 7 is the open time during the week
United747 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:12 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 5,202
Originally Posted by United747 View Post
Its at least 7 - 7 is the open time during the week
Yes this is true -- as a long time traveler through UA hubs EWR was always the trouble point on Sunday's -- so you went to the UA club in terminal A on a Sunday if you wanted a drink before your flight -- which I did every time on my way home to Tokyo from upstate NY.... To be honest though I don't recall ever being rejected in terminal C once the the Polaris lounge opened on a Sunday -- maybe they have a different license?
United747 and SPN Lifer like this.
bmwe92fan is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,118
Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
Even on Sunday?
Yes.
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:19 pm
  #10  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Posts: 3,902
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Yes this is true -- as a long time traveler through UA hubs EWR was always the trouble point on Sunday's -- so you went to the UA club in terminal A on a Sunday if you wanted a drink before your flight -- which I did every time on my way home to Tokyo from upstate NY.... To be honest though I don't recall ever being rejected in terminal C once the the Polaris lounge opened on a Sunday -- maybe they have a different license?
Generally, it doesn't have to do with the license, per se. It's more to do with local and/or state laws regarding sales of alcohol.

Sunday's bring up another variable with Blue Laws still being prevalent around the country.
SPN Lifer likes this.
United747 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 6:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,737
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Yes this is true -- as a long time traveler through UA hubs EWR was always the trouble point on Sunday's -- so you went to the UA club in terminal A on a Sunday if you wanted a drink before your flight -- which I did every time on my way home to Tokyo from upstate NY.... To be honest though I don't recall ever being rejected in terminal C once the the Polaris lounge opened on a Sunday -- maybe they have a different license?
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I know there was discussion at some point about the opening time of the bar in EWR on Sundays probably due to outdated local laws in Newark and/or Elizabeth (I think term A is Elizabeth and B/C in Newark). Have not seen it discussed in a while....
OT for this thread, as this deals exclusively with EWR, but there was an NJ law passed a few years back (2018?), SPECIFICALLY for EWR to allow them to serve alcohol outside the usual, restricted hours:

https://www.assemblydems.com/assembl...s-restaurants/
"Legislation sponsored by Assembly Democrats Tim Eustace, Eliana Pintor Marin and John Burzichelli expanding the hours Newark Airport is allowed to serve alcohol was approved by the Assembly, 77-0-1, on Thursday.
Specifically, the bill (A-2419) would allow bars and restaurants operating within an international airport to sell alcoholic beverages between the hours of 6 a.m. and 3 a.m. In New Jersey, this bill would only affect Newark International Airport."

This opened up the ability for all United Clubs and the Polaris lounge to serve alcohol for extended hours (and sooner) and be much less restrictive on Sundays.
narvik is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 6:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 120
To fill in some backstory specific to EWR. In NJ each municipality set their own rules regarding alcohol sales. Some allow it, some disallow it, and others have some middle ground. For the ones that sell each may have their own nuanced versions specific to that town.

The issue at EWR was that Terminal A is in the city of Elizabeth while Terminal C is in the city of Newark, each with their own liquor laws. Apparently the newish state law mentioned above solved the inconsistency.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by kdad; Sep 24, 22 at 6:31 am
kdad is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 9:43 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: AA Pyrite
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
Even on Sunday?
My experience at ORD on a Sunday, albeit AA and pre-covid, was a delayed bar opening untill 11am or noon.
Bradhattan is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:42 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United GS, *wood LT Plat
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by Bradhattan View Post
My experience at ORD on a Sunday, albeit AA and pre-covid, was a delayed bar opening untill 11am or noon.
Ive never been in the United Clubs at ORD in the morning and not been able to get a drink when i want one. About a month ago on a Sunday, I ordered a Bloody Mary and the bartender goes, ive been making those all mornings and when I pointed out it was a Sunday, she was like, that makes sense, sometimes I forget day of week.
lilpisher is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 2:47 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,737
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
The issue at EWR was that Terminal A is in the city of Elizabeth while Terminal C is in the city of Newark, each with their own liquor laws. Apparently the newish state law mentioned above solved the inconsistency.
Well, that's not quite true, as neither Newark nor Elizabeth would have allowed liquor at 6am on Sundays. the law was specifically made for EWR with travelers in mind.
narvik is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread