1K Benefits on a split reservation

Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
1K Benefits on a split reservation

I made a reservation for the 4 of us, including me, for international travel. I applied plus points on the 3 non 1K passengers later, which resulted in the reservation getting split.

They already have economy plus seats, but I wanted to confirm that we will be allowed to check in 9 bags (3 bags per person) for this split reservation, which was initially a single reservation. Should I call the 1K line to confirm?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You should be able to, but might be worth a call.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azfanboy
.... Should I call the 1K line to confirm?
What does their online reservations say?

A voluntary split can work different that a split done at check-in and benefits seem to get lost.
It is late to check after the fact.

Why did you not stay on the PNR and apply PlusPoints to all 4 (including your self)? Not enough PlusPoints?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What does their online reservations say?

A voluntary split can work different that a split done at check-in and benefits seem to get lost.
It is late to check after the fact.

Why did you not stay on the PNR and apply PlusPoints to all 4 (including your self)? Not enough PlusPoints?
Yes, not enough PlusPoints

Originally Posted by drewguy
You should be able to, but might be worth a call.
Thanks, I will call.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2022 at 8:11 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, I will call.
Why not look online at the reservations first?
While the website can have issues, agents can be unreliable on issues like this -- new reservations is their expertise
Steve M likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why not look online at the reservations first?
While the website can have issues, agents can be unreliable on issues like this -- new reservations is their expertise
Good call! I checked their reservation and it doesn't look like they have the checked bag exception. I'll guess I have to call the 1K line or should I just contact customer care?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good call! I checked their reservation and it doesn't look like they have the checked bag exception. I'll guess I have to call the 1K line or should I just contact customer care?
You appear to be operating under the assumption that an agent can do something to the record in order to state that the bag fees should be waived. The most that anyone can do is to put a note in the record saying that you were all traveling together, which would presumably be obvious when you arrive at the airport. They will not be able to override the computer in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
You appear to be operating under the assumption that an agent can do something to the record in order to state that the bag fees should be waived. The most that anyone can do is to put a note in the record saying that you were all traveling together, which would presumably be obvious when you arrive at the airport. They will not be able to override the computer in advance.
True, and it looks like that's exactly what it was. I am hoping the cross reference is enough to avail of any elite benefits on the day of travel.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
True, and it looks like that's exactly what it was. I am hoping the cross reference is enough to avail of any elite benefits on the day of travel.
Just went through the same thing. Reservation got split just prior to check in as one of my family switched the return flight (unknow to me at check-in). The check in agent at SFO was basically NOT helpful at all and despite my protests she charged both non 1K travelers for bags. I took a couple of there bags and put them on my ticket (I only had one bag) and that further PO'ed the agent. She went it to all this stuff about assuming liability for anything in there bags. I sent an email to 1Kvoice and got an almost immediate refund for there bags (credit to them by voucher), however, I would add that they did say the agent was within her right NOT to give them my benefits as there were not on my/same PNR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420
Just went through the same thing. Reservation got split just prior to check in as one of my family switched the return flight (unknow to me at check-in). The check in agent at SFO was basically NOT helpful at all and despite my protests she charged both non 1K travelers for bags. I took a couple of there bags and put them on my ticket (I only had one bag) and that further PO'ed the agent. She went it to all this stuff about assuming liability for anything in there bags. I sent an email to 1Kvoice and got an almost immediate refund for there bags (credit to them by voucher), however, I would add that they did say the agent was within her right NOT to give them my benefits as there were not on my/same PNR.
Uh oh, my worst nightmare! Really didn't want this hassle on the day of travel but that's essentially what the 1K desk told me. Maybe I should get a box of chocolates for the check in agent

Seriously though, our reservation is international and they are already assigned economy plus seats so my only concern was the bags. Fortunately I get 3 and they get 1 each to check in free, so the 5 bags in total should be free.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ Have the upgrades cleared? Premium plus gets 2x50 and Polaris 2x70 for GMs.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
^ Have the upgrades cleared? Premium plus gets 2x50 and Polaris 2x70 for GMs.
No they have not. Good to know the new limits. Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
FWIW it's normally not an issue to check in together and have the agent waive for all the pax. YMMV.
MDFFlyer and Hipplewm like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
FWIW it's normally not an issue to check in together and have the agent waive for all the pax. YMMV.

So much this....I know every agent at our local small airport and they have never even remotely started to charge my wife or kids bag fees as they know we are traveling together - even on separate PNR (paid vs points normally splits us) I would imagine at a giant hub like SFO, they don't have the time, patience or energy to figure out who is who and what PNR etc. They can go back in a look and see that they were originally on your PNR before being split - but back to the Time, patience and energy again.
On returns, even at larger airports or HUBS with a GS check in lobby it also has never been an issue - maybe I am just lucky.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
- maybe I am just lucky.
No you are not lucky; you are global services. Big difference cf 1K and others...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.