FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Was denied entry to the DEN UC last week- I have a paid membership (Chase Club Card) but lounge dragon pretty rudely insisted I "couldn't come in with outside food." I was carrying a sealed box of Voodoo Donuts I had just bought in the Terminal to bring home to my kids.
Despite my explanation that the box was sealed, I had no intention of eating them in the UC, and I was only carrying them in my hand so they wouldn't get crushed sideways inside my bag, she insisted that I had to "dispose of them" before I'd be allowed entry.

Not wanting to start an argument in the middle of the airport, or throwing away $25 worth of donuts my kids were excited to get, I went and sat at my gate for 3h instead and emailed Customer Care.

They responded back today with an apology, a promise to address the situation with management, and 3,000 miles.
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Was denied entry to the DEN UC last week- I have a paid membership (Chase Club Card) but lounge dragon pretty rudely insisted I "couldn't come in with outside food." I was carrying a sealed box of Voodoo Donuts I had just bought in the Terminal to bring home to my kids.
Despite my explanation that the box was sealed, I had no intention of eating them in the UC, and I was only carrying them in my hand so they wouldn't get crushed sideways inside my bag, she insisted that I had to "dispose of them" before I'd be allowed entry.

Not wanting to start an argument in the middle of the airport, or throwing away $25 worth of donuts my kids were excited to get, I went and sat at my gate for 3h instead and emailed Customer Care.

They responded back today with an apology, a promise to address the situation with management, and 3,000 miles.
3K miles, well it is at least something and certainly you deserved it. I walk in with packaged food all the time at UCs and have never had any push back, I just tell them it is for my flight or like you I am taking it home.... crazy. The DEN UC has had multiple problems this year with the closure of the other club for updating and I would hate to see this as just another way to reduce admissions to an already over taxed club.
SPN Lifer and Wooglin like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wooglin

What an odd coincidence. In 2021 I picked up a box of Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland and then flew PDX-DEN-RDU. The UC agents insisted on the same thing. They eventually agreed to let me leave the box at the front desk and take it with me on my way out. Wish I'd sent in a complaint, maybe then this wouldn't have happened to you.
Wooglin likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, Hyatt
SIN-SFO cancelled and rescheduled for 24 hours later. Passengers put up at Orchard Hotel in Singapore, three meals covered ($28 each).

As a side note: Quite the operation getting ~250 passengers transported to the city center and checked into the hotel at 3 am.

Customer care gave me a $500 travel credit - 1k in deep discount J.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
1K H Fare Europe -> US cancelled for mechanical reasons. Customer Care email sent within an hour and the offer is $400 travel credit. This will be in addition to my EU261 claim for 600 euros. Still waiting to hear back on that first.

-RM
Old Mar 23, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: UAL: 1K; MAR: T
CPU cleared, but the recline button on my seat was stuck in the 'pressed' position (on an E170, first row). So the back of the seat didnt remain in a fixed position during the course of the 2 hour flight (lots of fun). Wrote to customer care and got 5000 miles.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
UA seems to give me a $150 voucher as a 1K in First or Business these days for anything gone wrong. Lately that:s included a 6 hour delay to final destination owing to transatlantic mechanical (IAD BRU), non operational DirecTV on IAD MIA, and a half broken tray table on IAD SRQ. The first was after I wrote to them and the other two were offered proactively on board by flight crew.
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I just got $200 ETC for a 6 hour delayed arrival domestic flight from Hades.
UA Plat +1 in biz class. Currently looking at a 5+ hour delay on LAX-HND. First plane went mechanical, then crew timed out. Received $20 meal vouchers. So at this point based on above I guess we are looking at $100-200 if we actually make it out.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
....Received $20 meal vouchers...
I'd head over to T6 for better food options.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd head over to T6 for better food options.
We are hanging out at Polaris, our 3rd visit today. The lunch buffet is pretty weak, and I wasn’t going to hit the bar, but all bets are off now.
IAH-OIL-TRASH and uanj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Did you have opportunity to try the migas in the morning?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

reporting back - to close out we received an apology email at takeoff with $200 ETC per person for the 6 hour delay. tempting to submit another claim for broken wifi (entire flight) but I’m not going to push my luck.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Did you have opportunity to try the migas in the morning?
... is Migas?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
reporting back - to close out we received an apology email at takeoff with $200 ETC per person for the 6 hour delay. tempting to submit another claim for broken wifi (entire flight) but I’m not going to push my luck.

... is Migas?
Scramble of eggs and tortillas or bread. Would've been good food for had you been hitting the bar.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Was on the canceled UA 128 from GIG-IAH on 3/30. Delayed 24 hours, and FAs came on at the end of the replacement flight (UA 3047) to tell us to visit unitedcares. $400 travel certificate. So there's another data point.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by gutt22
Was on the canceled UA 128 from GIG-IAH on 3/30. Delayed 24 hours, and FAs came on at the end of the replacement flight (UA 3047) to tell us to visit unitedcares. $400 travel certificate. So there's another data point.
Similar circumstances as I was also delayed 24 hrs (mechanical, UA 882 HND-ORD on 2/6). However, Unitedcares only gave me half of what they gave you - just a $200 travel cert. It appears to me there's no rhyme or reason to UA's compensation.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yanxfann
Similar circumstances as I was also delayed 24 hrs (mechanical, UA 882 HND-ORD on 2/6). However, Unitedcares only gave me half of what they gave you - just a $200 travel cert. It appears to me there's no rhyme or reason to UA's compensation.
What status do you have, UA compensation takes in account status and the other poster's profile show them as 1K.
jsloan and gutt22 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.