FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee

This snarky nonresponse got old a really long time ago.
No snark here. OP should submit their claim to their travel insurance.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Since this stemmed from a crew issue in Austin, regardless of weather in the connecting or destination city, it would still be their fault, as they caused me to misconnect. The flight went out just before I got to DEN.

While $200 obviously won't cover your costs, it's not unreasonable. As already noted, UA has no contractual compensation obligation (though they are obligated to refund the unused portion of your ticket). Moreover, as you acknowledge, much of the problem (chaos at DEN) was not UA's fault, and the root cause of the crew problem was likely weather, which is not the airline's fault.

I seriously doubt that DL would have provided any materially greater comp. I also second the suggestion you check whether your credit card covers travel interruptions. Many of us make sure that all our air travel is purchased on a card that does.

This snarky nonresponse got old a really long time ago.
I get an airlines reluctance to compensate beyond what is required for a "simple" overnight delay that was their fault. But 3 days later? It seems to be exceptional circumstances.

I'm not going to be that guy that says I'll never fly United again because of this, but at the same time, I'll look long and hard at other options before booking a UA flight. My experiences with how Delta and Alaska, the two primary carriers I use is far and away better than what happened with UA. My wife used to work in Alaska's Customer care a few years ago, and even she was surprised at how little they would do because of this delay.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2023 at 4:31 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
I'd estimate that well in excess of 99% of US-based travelers do not have travel insurance, except for whatever coverage is provided by their credit card -- which is rarely all that it's cracked up to be when you actually try to use it. (It appears to be much more popular overseas, for whatever reason). So, even if well-intentioned, "submit it to your travel insurance" is effectively snark.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rybob1
But 3 days later? It seems to be exceptional circumstances.
The situation at DEN was indeed exceptional, and not UA's fault. Ironically, the term "exceptional circumstances" is exactly the one that gets carriers off the hook for compensation under the European system EU/UK261).

My experiences with how Delta and Alaska, the two primary carriers I use is far and away better than what happened with UA.
We had a very poor experience with DL's handling of IRROPS last month which cost us a full day of vacation in Hawaii. Bottom line - these things can happen with any airline and UA's response is fully within the norm.
A legit response would have been "Do you have travel insurance or perhaps a credit card that provides travel interruption coverage?" The response that was given here contains an implicit - and wholly unwarranted - criticism of OP for not maintaining comprehensive, trip nonspecific travel coverage (which makes economic sense for only a very small percentage of travelers).

Been around long enough to know the difference and to have seen this particular (and wholly unhelpful) response many times before.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 12, 2023 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Travel insurance or credit card benefit covers certain items airlines don’t. As a former long-time elite at Delta, I know it’s hardly in the habit of paying for expenses beyond their obligations. This goes pretty much for all airlines, except in highly unusual (systemic) problems, such as the recent WN meltdown. You might have gotten what you wanted if you were booked on WN during that period, but your travel difficulties might have been worse. I can guarantee the payouts currently being made by WN will not become a normal practice.

Goodwill compensation is a separate issue.
I think that's essentially what I'm upset about. I would have assumed some sort of goodwill compensation, something United clearly doesn't seem interested in providing.
kpang likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think that's essentially what I'm upset about. I would have assumed some sort of goodwill compensation, something United clearly doesn't seem interested in providing.
Was the comp $200 total or $200 plus $200? I little hard to tell from the OP.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:28 pm

Was the comp $200 total or $200 plus $200? I little hard to tell from the OP.
The message from Customer care says up to $200 based on receipts I submit. I take that to mean $200 total.

The situation at DEN was indeed exceptional, and not UA's fault. Ironically, the term "exceptional circumstances" is exactly the one that gets carriers off the hook for compensation under the European system EU/UK261)..
But the initial flight delay that caused everything else to happen WAS United's fault. The crew was two hour late getting to AUS for our flight. Had that flight left on time, I wouldn't be posting here today.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2023 at 4:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the initial flight delay that caused everything else to happen WAS United's fault. The crew was two hour late getting to AUS for our flight. Had that flight left on time, I wouldn't be posting here today.
Where were they coming from? Why was that flight delayed?

This is one of my issues with EC.261 -- it assumes that airlines have an infinite supply of planes and crews at every station ready to depart on a moment's notice. There's an excellent chance that the crew that was scheduled to work your flight was delayed because of weather, whether that was at DEN or elsewhere in the system.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Where were they coming from? Why was that flight delayed?

This is one of my issues with EC.261 -- it assumes that airlines have an infinite supply of planes and crews at every station ready to depart on a moment's notice. There's an excellent chance that the crew that was scheduled to work your flight was delayed because of weather, whether that was at DEN or elsewhere in the system.
They were coming from IAH. Not sure the cause of their delay. It must have been United's fault, otherwise they wouldn't have issued me any vouchers for hotel/food at all. I also believe there was a message in the app, that made it pretty clear it was the airline's fault. i just don't remember exactly what it said at this point.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were coming from IAH. Not sure the cause of their delay. It must have been United's fault, otherwise they wouldn't have issued me any vouchers for hotel/food at all. I also believe there was a message in the app, that made it pretty clear it was the airline's fault. i just don't remember exactly what it said at this point.
Fair enough. In that case, I would either submit your hotel receipts along with a clear statement that you consider anything less than full reimbursement unacceptable, or refuse to submit them entirely, and then follow up wth a DOT complaint. I can't promise you'll have better luck, but at least you'll get a more senior agent to look into the situation and realize that your direct damages were more than the $200 that was authorized. The rental car is hit-or-miss -- they may argue that you voluntarily chose to terminate at FCA and that the rental car is on you.

Ultimately, I don't think their compensation system is built for multi-day, non-weather delays, as they mostly happen around big events… or the holidays.

Good luck!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Since this stemmed from a crew issue in Austin, regardless of weather in the connecting or destination city, it would still be their fault, as they caused me to misconnect. The flight went out just before I got to DEN.
IAH, AUS were also under a travel waiver -- crews were out of position due to travel issue thru out the middle US at Chirstmas and you were travel from the flying pan into the fire
Travel Waiver: Texas Winter Weather (December 22, 2022 - December 25, 2022)

Not saying you perhaps are not due some comp but the multiple days of weather issues were beyond UA's control, especially once you got to DEN (and WN rather more disastrous meltdown impact on other carriers)

As suggested , write a concise request and try again
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:34 pm

The situation at DEN was indeed exceptional, and not UA's fault. Ironically, the term "exceptional circumstances" is exactly the one that gets carriers off the hook for compensation under the European system EU/UK261).

We had a very poor experience with DL's handling of IRROPS last month which cost us a full day of vacation in Hawaii. Bottom line - these things can happen with any airline and UA's response is fully within the norm.

A legit response would have been "Do you have travel insurance or perhaps a credit card that provides travel interruption coverage?" The response that was given here contains an implicit - and wholly unwarranted - criticism of OP for not maintaining comprehensive, trip nonspecific travel coverage (which makes economic sense for only a very small percentage of travelers).

Been around long enough to know the difference and to have seen this particular (and wholly unhelpful) response many times before.
The OP has posted in Flyertalk nearly 500 times; they are not new to travel. I’m sure they have some sort of travel insurance- whether a comprehensive coverage or cover through a credit card- and likely already knew not to make travel arrangements without it.

At best, they may get some miles thrown their way. The complicating factor was the terrible weather situation around the country during the time in question. The airlines couldn’t do much to recover the situation at the time. Complaining to the DOT only delays the DOT’s ability to respond to actual legitimate complaints.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:12 pm

I read the sticky information at the top of the thread but still have a question. My plane was delayed at the gate due to a mechanical issue, missed my connection and was given a standby flight for 6 and half hours later that day. I reached out to Customer Care and at first denied my request for comp but I gave more details and they came back with $100 voucher. Is this the regular offer amount for 6 plus hours delay?

Thanks!

Sunny
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by sunnygirlca
I read the sticky information at the top of the thread but still have a question. My plane was delayed at the gate due to a mechanical issue, missed my connection and was given a standby flight for 6 and half hours later that day. I reached out to Customer Care and at first denied my request for comp but I gave more details and they came back with $100 voucher. Is this the regular offer amount for 6 plus hours delay?

Thanks!

Sunny
Assuming this was a flight in the United States, there is no legal requirement for United to compensate you for the delay. The voucher is a customer service recovery gesture.

If this were a flight out of the EU or UK, then EU261/UK261 would have applied.
sunnygirlca likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP has posted in Flyertalk nearly 500 times; they are not new to travel. I’m sure they have some sort of travel insurance- whether a comprehensive coverage or cover through a credit card- and likely already knew not to make travel arrangements without it.
Well, I suppose doubling down is a strategy too.

The vast majority of experienced travelers do not "[know] not to make travel arrangements without" (ridiculously overpriced) travel insurance. It's very much a niche product. Yes, automatic coverage through a credit card is far more prevalent, and might even pay out, but most of those policies have loopholes big enough to fly a 747 through. For example, I just checked the benefits for the Explorer Card, which include trip delay insurance — but only if the reimbursable charges were also made with the Explorer Card. Use a hotel card or Amex for the hotel stay? Not covered. Even then, there are millions of travelers who do not choose to pay with cards that have even this modicum of coverage.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and Nihon_Ni like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.